Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: 4+ player Variant? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff C
United States
California
flag msg tools
I know the game box states 1-4 players, but from what I've read of the rules so far, the game seems to scale depending on the number of players (i.e. number of clues spawned at each location, act deck advancement, encounter cards drawn per turn, etc.).

Assuming there are enough starter sets, is there anything that would prevent the game from scaling to five or more players (when more investigators become available)?

Thinking it would be fun to have a game where all the investigators are in-play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffc wrote:
I know the game box states 1-4 players, but from what I've read of the rules so far, the game seems to scale depending on the number of players (i.e. number of clues spawned at each location, act deck advancement, encounter cards drawn per turn, etc.).

Assuming there are enough starter sets, is there anything that would prevent the game from scaling to more than five or more players (when more investigators become available)?

Thinking it would be fun to have a game where all the investigators are in-play

Time and sanity. At some point the scenario decks aren't going to be able to hold up to the weight of too many players. You'll cycle through the deck too fast as the size isn't a function of the number of investigators (though I guess with multiple copies, you could just unofficially increase the deck)

In addition, skill checks could become much too easy since multiple investigators might be in the same location (for lack of anywhere else to go) and if each one contribute a card to pass the skill test, they become auto wins (unless you pull the auto lose token).

So adding maybe a 5th or 6th might be ok but I doubt more than that would work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scourn1
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I actually asked this a week ago, then tried it out. I have 4 cores so I built all five decks up pretty well.

Does the game scale to 5+? Yes
Is it harder? A ton harder.

Youd think the extra player to help get clues fight and chuck cards would be great, but the fact it 5 cards a turn really rushes the Doom track. And the first missions starting site needs 10 clues discovered to get out. Then later on you need 15 to get the parlor open.

This slows it down because some characters just cant fight to well, and when your drawing that extra card things can and will get pretty crazy quickly.

Also if someone dies, the whole mission is scaled to starting investigators, not remaining. So one player died and bam Ghoul Priest still had 25 life. that's a ton to deal with.

Trust me its in no way easier as much as youd think it is. We also played on normal mode. It was fun to try but I wouldn't go above 4 as that's what the game is designed for (or less)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Bird
Antarctica
msg tools
mbmbmb
jeffc wrote:
I know the game box states 1-4 players,

Hi Jeff.

May I ask you to check your game box again.

Mine says 1-2 players.

I must admit I am looking forward to 9+ player games of games of AH LCG.

But this is something just for humour value as after two players the game gets easier because Doom advances slower.

The initial campaign only has setup instructions that cover four players so what would you do to play six. You could use the four player setup but you are getting two free players. You could try and extrapolate the setup to six players but the opening turn may be so stacked with doom you would be on Agenda 2 after your first round.

Arkham Nights had a 16 player game of Arkham Horror (the board game). This is something you do for fun. But if your game group had five players and you don’t want to leave anyone out then sure, play five players. If it seems too easy bump the difficulty level by one.

Phoenix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff C
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I played my first 5-player game of Arkham Horror The Card Game yesterday at "standard" difficulty, and I didn't feel that the additional player disrupted the balance of the game. Yes, I'm sure that the game wouldn't scale with 20+ players but adding a fifth player didn't feel too disruptive. We barely finished the first scenario with all five investigators each using pre-built starting decks. By the end of the game, three of the investigators were a few sanity and/or health away from being KO'ed, and Roland ended up eating his "cover up" weakness because we simply didn't have enough time to spare.

Overall, the game still felt pretty brutal, and it wasn't "a walk in the park" by any stretch of the definition. We ended up having to reshuffle the encounter deck once with the Agnes Baker player single-handedly drawing every single +doom cards in the game and failing every single investigation roll. (She must be secretly working for the enemy. devil)

Phoenix_Bird wrote:

May I ask you to check your game box again.

Mine says 1-2 players.

Oops, yes you're right... I meant the BGG overview section for Arkham Horror LCG.

1-4 Players
Community: 1-4 - Best: 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phoenix_Bird wrote:

But this is something just for humour value as after two players the game gets easier because Doom advances slower.

Hmm, interesting...

I've played the game at all the official player counts now, though only 1-, 2-, and 3-player on the same (first) scenario, and it is my feeling that 2-player is the easiest, then going 1-, 3-, and finally 4-player as the hardest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.