44.1% of Goal | left

Support:

Bill K
United States
Unspecified
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook on p. 10 says "Add up all the happy faces ... If the total is more than 8, you have 8 happy faces." [Granted, this is in the section discussing the Happiness Rating of your civilization.]

Michelangelo says "Your temples, theaters, and wonders produce an extra 1 Culture for each of their happy faces."

Joan of Arc says "Your temples and government give you +1 strength for each of their happy faces."

Elsewhere, Jorge has argued that "Mike awards for the happy faces that each Temple/Theater/Wonder individually produces, as stated on his card."

But the rules essentially state that, when counting Happy Faces, if you reach eight you stop counting.

Has there been an official ruling on this specific question for TtA 2nd Ed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smash62bill wrote:
But the rules essentially state that, when counting Happy Faces, if you reach eight you stop counting.

It says that you only have 8 happy faces. But each building still has the number of happy faces shown on it, and that's what matters for Michelangelo, Joan of Arc, etc.

If you "stop counting at 8", how would you decide whether to count the ones on the temples first or the ones on the government first, etc.?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Bill,

It's exactly as I stated in the files section. Suppose you have 3 Organized Religions, each giving you 3 happy faces. Yes, you stop counting at 8, so you have 8 happy faces, not 9. Nevertheless, this doesn't void that each single temple gives you 3 happy faces. Mike awards you culture based on the temples'/wonders'/theaters' happy faces, not yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill K
United States
Unspecified
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
It says that you only have 8 happy faces.

And if you only have 8, then you only have 8. The whole being equal to the sum of its parts.

DaviddesJ wrote:
If you "stop counting at 8", how would you decide whether to count the ones on the temples first or the ones on the government first, etc.?

I'd say that you can always choose in what order to count things...the associative property of addition.

Anyway, I'm not arguing for my interpretation--I'm only arguing that it can be ambiguous without further clarification/consensus. I'm happy to go with the idea that the Max(0,Min(8,#HF)) function applies in other situations (Immigration, Impact of Happiness), just not with Mich and Joan.

Thank you for your responses. I'll amend the Unofficial FAQ accordingly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.