Space Empires: Close Encounters» Forums » Rules

Subject: Transports and Ground Combat 3 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BrentS
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple more questions, sorry (I feel as thick as a plank blush))

1. On the Close Encounters Ship Technology Sheet, the last tech column for Transports is "FTR 1-3"......I can't work out what tech that designates.

2. Drop Ship support and increased Defense Strength of 2 come in for Transports at Ground Combat 3. Do Transports themselves need to be upgraded to that tech level to use Drop Ship capability and have their Defense Strength increased(assuming they were built before level 3 was researched) or do they upgrade automatically? The rules say they "may be upgraded", which makes me think they might need to return to a Shipyard and pay for the upgrade in the normal way but I don't see a place to record it for Transports on the Ship Technology Sheet (unless that's what "FTR 1-3" is).

Thanks again,

Brent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) You are looking at the TN rows, not T. TN = Titans, which can carry fighters if upgraded with any FTR technology, and T = Transport.
The T rows are on the bottom of the right column

2) They need to be upgraded like any other ship build before a technology is researched.
There is a spot to mark this in the T rows, see answer above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
1) You are looking at the TN rows, not T. TN = Titans, which can carry fighters if upgraded with any FTR technology, and T = Transport.

2) They need to be upgraded like any other ship build before a technology is researched.

Thanks blushshake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goshublue wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:

Thanks blushshake
You are welcome!
This game was my first run in with the naval abbreviations, so I understand the confusion those can create. My favorite mistake was carrier = CA, after all those are the first letters.
By now I've memorized the proper terms, though I've since forgotten how they originally came about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a much denser ship tech chart than the base game, for obvious reasons, and it's taken me a while to find my way around. Still, you'd think the TN section coming after Dreadnoughts and having all those Attack and Defense levels would have been a clue . My only excuse is that I was playing solo trying one new rule at a time. I'd planned to research Boarding for this one but switched quickly to Ground Combat when a cheeky AP captured one of my advance colonies and helped itself to my tech! Once I'd made the TN / T error I must have spent half an hour going back through the rulebook and rules forums here looking for an answer, rather than checking the tech sheet more thoroughly. Tunnel vision (or what my wife would call a man look )

Brent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.