$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
44.3% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

SeaFall» Forums » Variants

Subject: Advice for how to balance a 2nd campagin when someone already has information. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathanaël Dufour
France
Lille
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am starting tomorrow a 4P Seafall with friends, however I already played 14 games with my gf, and opened box 1 to 5.

As of now, I think I have figured out how to deal with the information I have got.

For standard exploration, I'll just have someone else pick the spots on the Captain's booke map for me. (not that I remember them anyway !)
The only problematic part up to box 4 is (spoiler box 3)

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The tombs

which I'm thinking of managing this way :

Whenever a Tomb entrance is opened, one of the new players chooses one place on the tomb map(exemple : the hidden staircase) . From then on, if I enter through this tomb, I HAVE to choose to explore the hidden staircase. So while I can use my kmowledge of what I'd need to improve and which resources to take, this is counterbalanced by NOT having the choice.

Once I (or someone else) explores and takes what is to be taken in the hidden staircase, I get given another location from the tomb map.

Other players can still use that entrance for other places of the Tomb map.
If someone explores another spot (example : the frosen river) through that entrance but doesn't empty it (because they take damage), I can now choose to explore either the staircase or the river through that entrance.

Finally if another Tomb entrance is found (on another island for example), then I get a different option for this island, etc.

Do you think that's balanced ? I do benefit from (often) knowing both the reward and the type of challenge. On the other hand I have no choice (and many of the clues are easy), plus the other players can guess by looking at my preparation.

My real problem is (Big spoilers for box 5)

the Light of Truth and the secrets it reveals.

So far I know very little, ans if that group catches up I'm planning on sharing all the intel I have with them.

But if anyone has any other ideas on how to handle it...

Any advice ? Any other advantage I have and should try to compensate for ? I was thinking of letting everyone upgrade their ships once (or once for each box opened) but I'm afraid that might be too much. Maybe a winner upgrade for everyone else instead ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary g
msg tools
mbmbmb
Any way you put it your friends will be at a disadvantage.

Do your friends know you've been playing?
You could just play dumb and "enjoy the ride" try to just keep people involved and interested in the adventure, instead of just exploring tombs and getting 20 glory a game to leave them in the dust.

I wouldn't mess with the game designed rewards....also interactions are going to be way different from a 2P with a loved one to 3 friends competing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanaël Dufour
France
Lille
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
just exploring tombs and getting 20 glory a game to leave them in the dust.

I don't see how
exploring tombs
is going to be so much easier for me ?
I still need to get high enough explore/pillage to attempt it.My gf and I only failed once or twice over all our tombs exploration, without knowing what was in it beforehand. I didn't seem really hard to figure out the clues.

reshurc wrote:

Do your friends know you've been playing?

Yes of course, and I do intend to give them any advice that seems relevant (
"heads up guys, since we opened box 1 you might want to upgrade your Merchants to be able to sell" "This is a tomb, Hard to explore, but the rewards are HUGE, don't neglect them"
)
Quote:
also interactions are going to be way different from a 2P with a loved one to 3 4 friends competing.

Which is why I'm looking forward to it . I don't necessarily intend to go for exploration anyway, I really like the idea of attacking back and forth. But I don't feel like I'm going to leave them in the dust, I would be really surprised if I start winning consistently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.