Subject: CD - absolute must or? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drunk Celt
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hi there

I was interested in this game until I saw that it said CD is required.

Is there any way around this? I'm Deaf so playing CD is useless for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
barinthus wrote:
Hi there

I was interested in this game until I saw that it said CD is required.

Is there any way around this? I'm Deaf so playing CD is useless for me.

I know there's an Android app for running the mission (and I assume one for iPhone too), and I think it prints out the events as they occur, so you can see by looking at your screen when a new threat shows up, etc.

But, if other players in your group aren't deaf, then it may not matter; only one or two players are responsible for fiddling bits around in response to the noises on the CD (chosen before the mission begins), so you could make one of them do that. Then it won't matter whether you can hear the CD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game comes with pre-printed missions. Those are good enough to play with, IMO. The bigger difficulty will be communicating with opponents, but that challenge could very well add to the fun. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Webb
United States
Edmonds
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mjacobsca wrote:
The game comes with pre-printed missions. Those are good enough to play with, IMO. The bigger difficulty will be communicating with opponents, but that challenge could very well add to the fun. devil

Don't think this is the case anymore. Mine did not come with the printed missions. But you can still download them from CGE's site.

http://czechgames.com/en/space-alert/downloads/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, you can download the missions as MP3s and put them on your phone.

As was stated above, there is an Android/iOS app that can also randomize the creation of a mission, so you do not need to stick with pre-made MP3s and it increases replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea R
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
I would highly recommend the use of the flash site. It has a lot of visual queues which will help you a lot, plus.. It's enjoyable.

If I recall correctly and it still works the link was http://www.phipsisoftware.com/SpaceAlert.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drunk Celt
United States
California
flag msg tools
You guys have been a big help and thanks!

I checked and indeed there's an app on the App Store
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Wack
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Your question really has awaken my curiosity. How are you going to play this ? Do you play with people who all know Sign Language well enough to communicate at the speed required by the game ? Do you plan to use other forms of communications (many players have posted ways of using the components during the planning phase for better synchronization) ? Or do you intend to play this mainly solo ?

In any case tell us how it goes, maybe your experience will open new ways to play Space Alert for everyone !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.