$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 67.3

4,711 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
29.7% of Goal | 28 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
12 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Mythic Battles: Pantheon» Forums » General

Subject: What does the iconography mean for special abilities? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I might have missed it, but didn't see what these represent in any of the previews or the draft rules. I've put my best guesses below.

It seems like we have:
Hourglass = always on/ongoing?
Lightning bolt = instead of an attack, or simply costs an action?
Hand = long action, using up your entire activation?
Dot = Defensive ability, used on enemy turn?

Those are my best guesses, from what I've seen. If I'm right, it would would seriously weaken something like Medusa's petrification, since she'd have to run into someone's space (or they'd run into hers), and then she'd have to activate again to freeze them. Though that makes me feel like I'm right with my guesses, because if she could move 2 spaces AND petrify on the same turn, that would be completely overpowered!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Though skimming through some previews, I'm obviously wrong on some. Bellerophon has a hand icon ability that activates at the end of his turn, and clearly has no action cost at all. I'm thoroughly confused!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Guinoza
msg tools
mbmb
I think hourglass is passive, as you mention. Passive abilities are always 'on'. They can only be turned 'off' by special conditions.
The lightning may be special attack. Special attacks substitute the normal attack if used.
The hand may represent a triggered ability.
Dots may be an 'interrupt', or as the game calls it, instant. Instants can be played at any time, including an opponent's turn (of course, limited to any restriction).

Be aware that this is also my interpretation of what is released, and may be wrong.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit VOGT
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mb
GameMasterX0 wrote:
I might have missed it, but didn't see what these represent in any of the previews or the draft rules. I've put my best guesses below.

It seems like we have:
Hourglass = always on/ongoing?
Lightning bolt = instead of an attack, or simply costs an action?
Hand = long action, using up your entire activation?
Dot = Defensive ability, used on enemy turn?

Those are my best guesses, from what I've seen. If I'm right, it would would seriously weaken something like Medusa's petrification, since she'd have to run into someone's space (or they'd run into hers), and then she'd have to activate again to freeze them. Though that makes me feel like I'm right with my guesses, because if she could move 2 spaces AND petrify on the same turn, that would be completely overpowered!


Hourglass is a passive Power. It applies all the time for free.
Dot is Instant Power. It can be used at any time but it requires to spend art of war cards.
Hand is active Power. You can use it only during your tun.
Lightningbolt is special attack. It replace the regular attack.

This will be detailed in the rules which are coming very soon.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Benoit0905 wrote:
GameMasterX0 wrote:
I might have missed it, but didn't see what these represent in any of the previews or the draft rules. I've put my best guesses below.

It seems like we have:
Hourglass = always on/ongoing?
Lightning bolt = instead of an attack, or simply costs an action?
Hand = long action, using up your entire activation?
Dot = Defensive ability, used on enemy turn?

Those are my best guesses, from what I've seen. If I'm right, it would would seriously weaken something like Medusa's petrification, since she'd have to run into someone's space (or they'd run into hers), and then she'd have to activate again to freeze them. Though that makes me feel like I'm right with my guesses, because if she could move 2 spaces AND petrify on the same turn, that would be completely overpowered!


Hourglass is a passive Power. It applies all the time for free.
Dot is Instant Power. It can be used at any time but it requires to spend art of war cards.
Hand is active Power. You can use it only during your tun.
Lightningbolt is special attack. It replace the regular attack.

This will be detailed in the rules which are coming very soon.


Thanks for the clarification. So Medusa CAN move in to a space and then petrify. And also still attack? NASTY!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well it's Medusa after all. It only took Greek's greatest Mostser slayer to kill her so I think her toughness/nastyness is well deserved!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit VOGT
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mb
GameMasterX0 wrote:


Thanks for the clarification. So Medusa CAN move in to a space and then petrify. And also still attack? NASTY!


Exactly. For 2 art of war cards, this is the least you can expect, no?

Medusa is a character I appreciate particularly. Very versatile and dangerous.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just for the sake of asking, could I use medusa's power twice in a turn if I had 4 art of war cards? Use in her initial space, move, use in her new space?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. It replaces your normal attack and you can only attack once per turn.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit VOGT
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mb
GameMasterX0 wrote:
Just for the sake of asking, could I use medusa's power twice in a turn if I had 4 art of war cards? Use in her initial space, move, use in her new space?


Petrification is not a special attack of Medusa. It is an active Power. She can use it during her turn and then attack. But you cannot use the same active Power twice during the same turn. So she can use petrification only once during her turn. But She can attack after having used it.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought of another question. We already know the Minotaur's symbols are misprinted in previews (hand and Art of War cost should be on the top Charge ability).
But nowhere in Charge does it mention using an action, or ending your activation.
By this, and your definition of hand symbols, can the Minotaur use Charge, and ALSO move and attack in the same activation? That seems stupidly powerful.
I'm assuming charge uses up the minotaur's activation (both actions), but that is not clearly said anywhere I can see at the moment.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Benoit0905 wrote:
GameMasterX0 wrote:
Just for the sake of asking, could I use medusa's power twice in a turn if I had 4 art of war cards? Use in her initial space, move, use in her new space?


Petrification is not a special attack of Medusa. It is an active Power. She can use it during her turn and then attack. But you cannot use the same active Power twice during the same turn. So she can use petrification only once during her turn. But She can attack after having used it.


Quick follow-up... she can perform 2 actions before or after petrification, right? It doesn't cost any actions?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abe
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benoit0905 wrote:

Hourglass is a passive Power. It applies all the time for free.
Dot is Instant Power. It can be used at any time but it requires to spend art of war cards.
Hand is active Power. You can use it only during your tun.
Lightningbolt is special attack. It replace the regular attack.


Benoit, this is confusing since there are Hourglass powers that have AoW costs on dashboards. There are also Dot powers that don't show any AoW costs (lambdas) next to them on the dashboard. Does the Dot power imply an innate cost of 1 AoW? So if there is a Dot with a lambda next to it, does it now cost 2 AoW?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.