Hide
3 Posts

Among the Stars: Expanding the Alliance» Forums » General

Subject: Anyone enjoy this with 5 or 6 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John
msg tools
This expansion should add the possibility to play with 5 or 6 players. (in combination with ambassadors)
Most of my games go up to 4 players, so this is a welcome addition indeed.

However, most of the reviews warn about playing with 5-6 players. The playing time would be too high, table space is an issue too.

I wonder if any of you AtS:EtA owners regularly enjoy a 5 or 6 player game of AtS and if you do use any house rules to make it work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There really isn't much you can about the table space issue. Sometimes I will stack cards on top of each other so the banner is visible but the picture is blocked. This will save vertical space, but not horizontal space.

As far as play time goes, the best thing you can do is not play with Ambassadors, conflict cards, or anything that requires the timing rules to be added to the game. The main reason downtime gets so high with five players is that if two people declare they are taking ambassadors, you have to stop the game while they decide which one they want, and the second person has to read the new card revealed by the first person. Conflicts similarly require the game stop to accomodate one person. If your game is setup so that you don't need timing rules, play tends to go smoothly. Not quite Seven Wonders smooth, since you have to have a scoring phase every turn, but for the most part you can maintain simultaneous play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
msg tools
Thanks for your tips on how to make the game work for 5-6 players, it is really helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.