Subject: Information needed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paolo Gentili
Italy
San Vincenzo (LI)
flag msg tools
Hi,
I find very interesting this kind of game, but I need more information about it: what do I need to start with it and where can I find the material? Thanks, Paolo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sterrett
United States
Kansas City [Platte City]
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, the resources are a bit scattered.

You can get the rules and maps from Too Fat Lardies: http://toofatlardies.co.uk/product-category/kriegsspiel/

You can get pieces from several places; I am a fan of Photon Cutter Studios: http://www.photoncutterstudios.com/kriegsspiel.html

You can get advice on running the game both here and at http://kriegsspiel.org.uk/

Some of the other threads here have information on running it. My advice in brief:

* As the umpire, run the game *quickly and consistently* over all else. When the game bogs down the players get bored. Don't worry about applying all the rules. Understand them in order to know how Napoleonic officers saw combat and then resolve things quickly.

* To run a game with N players, you need N+1 umpires -- most of them are carrying informaiton from the head umpire to the players and back. Don't let the reporting umpires spend time chatting with players. Go in, report, get orders that are already prepared, leave. Otherwise, the game grinds to a halt.

* Reporting umpires need to work on good, short, complete reports. This is a skill that needs practice for most people.

* The players I usually deal with need to realize they do not have radios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sterrett
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snipping in from a posting I wrote on another forum.... (http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=17649.msg462831#... )

I run a *very* free Kriegsspiel that is informed by what's in the Reisswitz manual but is very very heavily optimized for Speed Uber Alles - this keeps players from getting bored, ideally keeps them time-stressed, and ensures things get done in a reasonable amount of time.

I use the distance scale for movement as-is.

I resolve combat either with a single die-roll (normally a d6), weighted as determined by me by the situation being resolved; or by having the reporting umpire from each side roll a die, with one side weighted as determined by me by the situation on the map. The degree to which the result is skewed one way or another is the reference point for deciding what happens. This is done *really really fast*. When the reporting umpires are present, they do get an opportunity to put in an oar if I have forgotten something, which keeps the process fair.

If a player is personally involved in a combat, I give them a 1-pip DRM in their favor; and their umpires rolls 1d6; the player is wounded on a 4 or 5 and killed (out of the game for a bit) on a 6. In addition, players who are in combat get no reports other than about the combat they are in, and cannot write orders or notes or whatnot - they are presumed to be a bit busy!

IMO - the core idea of Kriegsspiel is to put the players in a situation where they don't have enough information, don't have enough time, need to make decisions, and have to communicate those decisions to a human being - either the umpire or a subordinate - with the understanding that those orders may have to stand for a long period of time without the player's direct oversight. Getting players in this situation rewards dealing well with uncertainty, clear visualization of the future state of the battlefield despite that uncertainty, and clear communication of mission and intent to accomplish the force's objectives despite the uncertainty and chaos of the battlefield.

Get that right, and the rest - accuracy, realism, etc - is tertiary; you will have placed the players in an amazingly intense command environment experience that will indelibly etch itself in their minds.

It does take a lot of work from the umpiring staff, working like crazed weasels on speed, to make it work right. But it's worth it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

Great description.
Deserves to be linked to the Blindly into the Fog of War Guild.
So I have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Gentili
Italy
San Vincenzo (LI)
flag msg tools
Thanks James! A very useful answer! Best, Paolo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sterrett
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome - glad it is useful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.