Subject: Factory move ability - clarification needed. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Moscrop
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sorry if this has been asked before (I searched but couldn't find the answer)

I think we've been playing the factory card move actions incorrectly. I've been playing the rule as...

a) Move one unit 2 hexes (or 3 if you have the +1 move ability unlocked on the faction mat).

But reading the rules, it actually says "move one unit up to two times", i.e...

b) Move one unit 1 hex (or 2 if you have the +1 ability) and then make another move action with them (again for potentially 2 spaces if you have the +1 ability).

Which is the correct way to play this rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nándor Gáspár
Hungary
Budapest
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a) is correct
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Moscrop
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the reply. Based on what reasoning? In the English rules, there's quite a big difference between interpreting "moving a unit twice" as meaning either "2 hexes" or performing a "move" action "twice". Even on the quick reference card in the bottom left, it says "The factory Move action allows one unit to move twice". That's not the same thing as saying "one unit can move 2 hexes".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bettan
Canada
Cote St Luc
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had been playing it as option B. I will definitely be watching this thread to see if Jamey chimes in with an official answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bettan
Canada
Cote St Luc
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I just found the official answer here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1552012/factory-move-speed-...

It is option A.

Time to put an asterisk near all our recorded plays!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
TelexStar wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Based on what reasoning? In the English rules, there's quite a big difference between interpreting "moving a unit twice" as meaning either "2 hexes" or performing a "move" action "twice". Even on the quick reference card in the bottom left, it says "The factory Move action allows one unit to move twice". That's not the same thing as saying "one unit can move 2 hexes".

Because of (at least) two reasons:

1) Speed states that "Your character and mechs may move one additional territory per Move action."
Factory cards' bottom-row action is a single move action that allows you to move a unit 2 hexes, not two separate move actions.

2) It is explicitly stated in the rulebook at page 25.
FACTORY CARDS wrote:
SPEED: If you’ve unlocked the Speed mech ability, one of your mechs or your character may move up to 3 territories with this Move action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Moscrop
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks all for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like you all figured it out (thank you!), but if you're still confused, let me know and I can help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.