4,041 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
25.5% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Pp Vk
msg tools
new user
Hello,

I'm new but extremely interested in playing Federation Commander.

I'm wondering if there is a way to play the game solo, perhaps with "AI" opponents? If so, where can I find good instructions for that? Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy, and welcome to BGG!

The game contains no hidden information, so it can be played solo in a schizophrenic kinda style. This would prolly be easier/ simpler than running through a spreadsheet/ flowchart for an AI opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pp Vk
msg tools
new user
AdrianPHague wrote:

The game contains no hidden information, so it can be played solo in a schizophrenic kinda style. This would prolly be easier/ simpler than running through a spreadsheet/ flowchart for an AI opponent.

Thanks for the friendly welcome for a new member!

Sorry what does "schizophrenic kinda style" mean??? In any case, I'd still love to know if I can play with a AI-ish opponent if there is such a way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AI rules for solo Federation Commander can be found here.

http://www.starfleetgames.com/federation/Commanders%20Circle...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pyhavk wrote:
Hello,

I'm new but extremely interested in playing Federation Commander.

I'm wondering if there is a way to play the game solo, perhaps with "AI" opponents? If so, where can I find good instructions for that? Thank you!

There are a number of solitaire scenarios available. Check the scenarios here that list number of players as "1". The list also tells you in which expansion the scenario appeared. If it came from "Communique" then it's available for free online from the Star Fleet Games website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
pyhavk wrote:
AdrianPHague wrote:

Thanks for the friendly welcome for a new member!

Sorry what does "schizophrenic kinda style" mean??? In any case, I'd still love to know if I can play with a AI-ish opponent if there is such a way.

You basically play one side to the best of your ability, then switch and play the other side in the same manner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pp Vk
msg tools
new user
Thank you Shauneroo tofarley and AdrianPHague!

I'll definitely try the links you suggested, though the AI rules does seem to involve quite a bit of work (or maybe if I play it a few times I'll remember??). So I'll try all those options, plus the schizophrenic style to see which one works best for me!

Has any of you tried those methods? What do you think of them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pyhavk wrote:
Thank you Shauneroo tofarley and AdrianPHague!

I'll definitely try the links you suggested, though the AI rules does seem to involve quite a bit of work (or maybe if I play it a few times I'll remember??). So I'll try all those options, plus the schizophrenic style to see which one works best for me!

Has any of you tried those methods? What do you think of them?

I've played a few solitaire scenarios, mostly just to make sure I had the flow of the game down. I enjoyed them. They often involve accomplishing some sort of task (like collecting science points by scanning a hostile object before you can attack it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The robot rules may seem complicated at first, but are surprisingly simple once you get used to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pp Vk
msg tools
new user
Shauneroo wrote:
The robot rules may seem complicated at first, but are surprisingly simple once you get used to them.

Good to know. Have you or someone else tried expanding on the robot rules for other factions and their ships?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't say that I have, and I wouldn't like to attempt it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pp Vk
msg tools
new user
Shauneroo wrote:
Can't say that I have, and I wouldn't like to attempt it!

I guess it's too complicated??? (I'm completely new to Federation Commander and am already very challenged just trying to understand the regular rules!)

OK for now I'll just try solo play either with the existing robot rules or just play schizophrenically.

Thanks again Shauneroo and tofarley and AdrianPHague!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the links. It's hard to find them in the sea of pages of information. This really helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.