Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Skov
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Living Rules B3 states
Quote:
Easily Missed Rule: You cannot spend these Catalysts for your Parasite (which is in another tableau and thus spends from that tableau pool).

but is this not contradicted by section H, which states
Quote:
Gene Transfer Agents. A Parasite player can donate Catalysts to the tableau pool of its Host player at any time.

effectively allowing a player to make parasite purchases using catalysts from either the owner or the host's owner?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are both correct, as far as the the rules-as-written are concerned.

Can't speak for the intent, of course.

I'm not sure it's a terrible thing, either - one consequence of the parasite purchase timing is that it encourages the host to empty their pool of catalysts, forcing them to adapt and mutate, quite aside from the Red Queen arms race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Derphausen
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is correct. You cannot spend your catalsysts for your parasite, you have to spend the catalysts of the player you have parasitized (if that's even a word).

This is what wikipedia has to say about the issue:

In biology/ecology, parasitism is a non-mutual symbiotic relationship between species, where one species, the parasite, benefits at the expense of the other, the host.

See how beautifully the rules reflect reality?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Skov
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I appreciate the beauty of rules reflecting reality, I feel it is obscured somewhat by the fact that it makes the rules clunkier. Why say "you cannot do A, you must instead do B!" only to say, tens of pages later, "oh, by the way, you can actually do both A and B." I'm going to make a suggestion for a change in the living rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Derphausen
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ah, I see now, you are right. Furthermore, wouldn't it make sense, thematically and also in accoradance with the corresponding annotation #37, that this transfer of "currency" be only allowed if the parasite has HGT? I feel like the game and its theme are somewhat at odds here. But just a little.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Skov
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't actually played the game yet, just trying to get the rules down before-hand, so I can't really say how that would affect gameplay. Feel free to suggest it to Phil yourself

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
mbmbmbmbmb
If I remember right, the ability to donate catalysts from parasite to host was a later rule add-on, which probably is what creates the clunkiness in the rules.

Probably should have removed the "Easily missed rule" highlighted above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom B.
France
flag msg tools
This has been clarified in the living rules: B3 now says "Easily Missed Rule: For your Parasite, you may pay with your own Catalysts, the host's Catalysts, or some combination thereof."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dom22 wrote:
This has been clarified in the living rules: B3 now says "Easily Missed Rule: For your Parasite, you may pay with your own Catalysts, the host's Catalysts, or some combination thereof."

But can a Foreign Gene do the same? The Gene Transfer Agent rule doesn't mention it, but the example below does allow it. There is a note in the Living Rules on this, but no actual edit of the rules to clarify.

Thanks,

Colin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Skov
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since foreign genes cannot donate catalysts to the tableau of the organism they are in, they cannot use their own catalysts for purchases. They can only use the catalysts in the tableau of the organism they are in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nom_ wrote:
Since foreign genes cannot donate catalysts to the tableau of the organism they are in, they cannot use their own catalysts for purchases. They can only use the catalysts in the tableau of the organism they are in.

Right, but the example right below the GTA section does exactly that:

Bios: Genesis Rules wrote:
Example: As Player Yellow, your Foreign Gene inside Player Red’s Bacteria is in danger of getting killed off by its RNAi immune system (ATP synthase). Noting that the Bacteria has enough Chromosome cubes to become a Macroorganism, during your purchase phase, you buy the lamp shell with one of your Catalysts and install it on the Bacteria.

Colin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Skov
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had a look in the living rules, and Phil himself is asking for clarification on that point, so it seems the rules are unclear on this subject.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.