GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 108

6,707 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
42.3% of Goal | left

Support:

Marco Mann
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
can the UK pick the USAs ambassador to the UK?

I think Jennifer Aniston would make a great diplomat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harmonica
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Keep your lovin' brother happy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent deal! However since Jennifer participated in a recent Dutch commercial, I believe her place is The Hague. May I suggest .... uhhh hmmmm .... someone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harmonica
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Keep your lovin' brother happy!
mbmbmbmbmb
May I propose Britney Spears for Ambassador for Britain. She is used to wear school uniforms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
T-bag (a.k.a P.E. Trump)'aint picking shit. Ambassadors are nominated by their country of origin.

Beyond that, Farage isn't even a member of parliament. He's just a shiny-arsed spam-faced clown with all the gravitas of a second-hand car salesman (with some very pointy elbows).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Mann
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
AdrianPHague wrote:
T-bag (a.k.a P.E. Trump)'aint picking shit. Ambassadors are nominated by their country of origin.

Beyond that, Farage isn't even a member of parliament. He's just a shiny-arsed spam-faced clown with all the gravitas of a second-hand car salesman (with some very pointy elbows).

You're not thinking this through. We get Jennifer Aniston and Farage goes to live in America. Thats win-win in my book.

We may not have sneaked Piers Twatface past those damn yankees but it looks like we've got rid of James Cordon. Now we may add the frog-faced racist to the "crap we;ve exported" list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, if the UK's getting rid of Farage, the US should be able to dump somebody nearly as annoying and with the same level of intelligence.

I nominate Ted Nugent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Wait, if the UK's getting rid of Farage, the US should be able to dump somebody nearly as annoying and with the same level of intelligence.

I nominate Ted Nugent.

He'd never come. You can't carry guns around here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
mutton_chops wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

I nominate Ted Nugent.

He'd never come. You can't carry guns around here.

DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY, BABY! WANGO-SHOOTO!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:

I nominate Ted Nugent.

If the US can pick the ambassador that the UK sends to the US, then the UK should get the same privilege. Clearly they should request someone extremist and not representative of the rest of the US.

The US ambassador to the UK.....Donald Trump.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Finch
United Kingdom
BERKSHIRE
flag msg tools
Rule changes for tonight's game:-
mbmbmbmbmb
Embassies are foreign soil though, right? Couldn't we play along for a bit and convince him to visit the US embassy in London as 'part of the preparations'? Once he's in there he's technically left the country and we can refuse to let him back in again because immigration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
surprise Pres.TRUMP can 'pick' his own Nation's Ambassadors--just NOT their 'nose'! Well, perhaps in some *GRAB*-"gotcha"! fashion? shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
AdrianPHague wrote:

The first statement, second sentence, is false.

Ambassadors are representatives of the leader of a country to the leader of a country. They do not represent a country, they represent the leader personally. Ambassadors may be rejected by the leader of a host country for no reason or any reason. "The country" nor the government of the country comes into play.

Trump could pick Britain's ambassador. Britain does not have to play ball, however. They could elect to have no ambassador. They could also reciprocate.

Yes. I am technically correct.

Will it be Farage? I'm thinking, no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
AdrianPHague wrote:

The first statement, second sentence, is false.

Ambassadors are representatives of the leader of a country to the leader of a country. They do not represent a country, they represent the leader personally. Ambassadors may be rejected by the leader of a host country for no reason or any reason. "The country" nor the government of the country comes into play.

Trump could pick Britain's ambassador. Britain does not have to play ball, however. They could elect to have no ambassador. They could also reciprocate.

Yes. I am technically correct.

Will it be Farage? I'm thinking, no.

Trump could not pick Britain's ambassador, i.e. make a positive choice. He could, in theory, reject every other candidate that we selected - which is not the same thing as picking Farage - but only if he wanted to provoke probably the most major diplomatic incident between our countries in the last 100 years. And whilst officially the Queen chooses the ambassador, in reality that's not the case. The No. 1 Appointments Board does this, in the Foreign and Commonwealth Office - it's chaired by the Permanent Under-Secretary of the FCO, and consists of the FCO Deputy Under-Secretaries plus the Secretary of State's Private Secretary and one of the Ministers of State. The Board debates possible candidates for a post when a change is required (though at the moment, no vacancy exists, regardless of what Mr. Trump thinks), and ultimately submits a name to the Secretary of State. If the SoS approves, and the appointment is an important one, the Prime Minister is consulted by means of a letter from the Secretary of State's Private Secretary to the Prime Minister's Private Secretary, whereupon the PM can object to the candidate if they are felt not to be in the country's interests. The Queen then formally "rubber-stamps" the appointment - technically an approval, but as far as I'm aware she's never rejected someone.

Also, UK ambassadors are not solely the Queen's representative, they formally represent both her and the government.

Perhaps Mr Trump is not aware that UK ambassadors are almost always career diplomats, and not chosen from the donors and people who have helped the president's election campaign, as they are in the US.

Regardless, as I say, No. 10 have made it clear there's no vacancy for the post, so unless Mr. Trump is inclined to send the current ambassador home (and, again, provoke a major diplomatic incident), it's rather a moot point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Ambassadors are representatives of the leader of a country to the leader of a country. They do not represent a country, they represent the leader personally.

Complete nonsense of course, I don't know where you get it from.

It's actually most obvious for US Ambassadors. If they were simply the President's personal representative they wouldn't need confirmation. But also they don't even report directly to the President - State Department for US ambassadors, Foreign Office for UK ambassadors. Of course that means they report to the executive, but that doesn't stop them being a representative of the country. In which role they do things while the leader takes no notice of them in most cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Mann
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Maybe NF could be the UKs ambassador to the State of Alaska? Those long arctic nights would just fly with him as company.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AttackFactorZero wrote:
can the UK pick the USAs ambassador to the UK?

I think Jennifer Aniston would make a great diplomat.

I think Meryl Streep!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Holt
England
Rayleigh
Essex
flag msg tools
This is not the cat you're looking for - some other cat maybe?
badge
tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse
mbmbmbmbmb
AdrianPHague wrote:
Farage isn't even a member of parliament. He's just a shiny-arsed spam-faced clown with all the gravitas of a second-hand car salesman (with some very pointy elbows).

Second-hand car salesmen may feel insulted by the comparison … they usually know when they are lying*.

* recycled computer salesman joke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdrianPHague wrote:

The very reason Mr. Donald wants him!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.