$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
39.8% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

In the Name of Odin» Forums » General

Subject: Some impressions and possible house rules after a couple of plays... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Davey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firstly lets get the negatives out of the way:

Yes you can end up in a bizzare position where the game enters some form of purgatory, where no one wants to take the last raid as it would actually loose them victory points; this will almost certainly be the case if a 3 VP raid ends up on the final sea space.

There are also a few issues with how useful some of the other aspects are, such as buildings not being considered after the first few turns due to a cost that increases exponentially. Furthermore no one ever seems to buy anything but a 2 cost hero as chances are you just want to have one so that you can raid. Really I would have thought that they should start at a cost of 3, like all of the other resources.

The race nature of the game, trying to grab as many raids as quickly as possible, leads to raiding for VPs being the dominant strtegy as they are finite and offer the best reward for the resources required. This seems to be at the detriment of other strategies and also reduces the game to a mad scramble which is at odds to he euro inspired mechanics on offer. It also means that the game seems to end too quickly, before you feel you have built much of an engine or had an impact.

So is the ending a bit wonky, does the first player have an unfair advantage and is the game a bit to reliant on raids for victory points at the detriment of everything else? Probably, but then it plays in less than an hour, looks amazing and some simple houserules can mitigate some of the balance issues I have with the game.

**The house rules that I tend to use are as follows:**

During setup, take all of the 5, 6, and 7 VP quests and randomly shuffle them, dealing one facedown onto the raid space. Shuffle the rest of the cards back in to the deck and deal out the remainded as appropriate for the player count. This stops the last quest from getting stuck if it is a 3 VP one in the 3 distance space.

Building discounts cannot be used during raids. This makes more thematical sense (did you take you Inn with you on your longboat?) and make the raids a bit harder.

The game does not end when the last raid is taken, instead it triggers the end game and the round is finshed thereby ensuring that everyone gets the same number of turns.

Overall I do like this game a lot, and I love just looking at the board, pouring over my options and wishing it had had just a bit more playtesting and time in development.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foksieloy
Croatia
flag msg tools
You need kulen.
badge
How can you have any pudding?
mbmbmbmbmb
ExplodingSnail wrote:
Furthermore no one ever seems to buy anything but a 2 cost hero as chances are you just want to have one so that you can raid

First champion spot (4 cost) gives you 1VP immediately. It is really good if the champion aligns with your needs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Davey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
foksieloy wrote:
ExplodingSnail wrote:
Furthermore no one ever seems to buy anything but a 2 cost hero as chances are you just want to have one so that you can raid

First champion spot (4 cost) gives you 1VP immediately. It is really good if the champion aligns with your needs.

True, but in my experience there is usually more value in using 4 recruit symbols to buy 2 heroes and potentially go on 2 raids and/or have 2 special abilities to use rather than get just a single VP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Zięba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my first published board game: In the Name of Odin!
mbmbmbmbmb
ExplodingSnail wrote:

Building discounts cannot be used during raids. This makes more thematical sense (did you take you Inn with you on your longboat?) and make the raids a bit harder.

This is actually an official rule, which can be found on page 10 under the Matching Symbols section
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Davey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord_Kristof wrote:
ExplodingSnail wrote:

This is actually an official rule, which can be found on page 10 under the Matching Symbols section

Thanks, but I was actually talking about removing the discount you get from buildings when attempting raids, not when matching symbols during the 3 card play/draw phase. This makes people more inclined to take other actions besides raids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Zięba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my first published board game: In the Name of Odin!
mbmbmbmbmb
ExplodingSnail wrote:
Lord_Kristof wrote:
ExplodingSnail wrote:

Thanks, but I was actually talking about removing the discount you get from buildings when attempting raids, not when matching symbols during the 3 card play/draw phase. This makes people more inclined to take other actions besides raids.

Ah, apologies, I misunderstood!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam game
Australia
Kingsford
NSW
flag msg tools
ExplodingSnail wrote:
no one wants to take the last raid as it would actually loose them victory points; this will almost certainly be the case if a 3 VP raid ends up on the final sea space.

I haven't played the game yet (though I own it), so I think there's something I'm misunderstanding about why you'd end up in the situation you describe -- do 3 VP raids tend to lose you victory points?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foksieloy
Croatia
flag msg tools
You need kulen.
badge
How can you have any pudding?
mbmbmbmbmb
You get 1vp for each 3 units that are the same and for each 3 units that are one of each type.

If the costs of last raid are high, you will end up in net loss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
foksieloy wrote:
You get 1vp for each 3 units that are the same and for each 3 units that are one of each type.

If the costs of last raid are high, you will end up in net loss.

For clarification - foksieloy is talking about the end game bonus here. 3VP raids won't lose you VP, but you could get more if you just kept your vikings, since you won't get another turn to recruit them back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam game
Australia
Kingsford
NSW
flag msg tools
OK. Thanks for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.