$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
48.5% of Goal | left

Support:

Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone played any of the Battle Academy games? If so your thoughts, particularly in relation to the queries below:-

- What other games do they compare to? Over the years I have played 'Steel Panthers', 'Panzer General', Eagle's Battlefront games, Combat Mission (excellent), Close Combat, 'Panzer Corps Wehrmacht', 'Company of Heroes (I suspect quite different).

- Is Battle Academy 2 a significant improvement over the original Battle Academy game.

- Is there anything similar but better out there?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Played the original - didn't like it - felt too much like a puzzle game - maybe they've made changes in the new version, maybe not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Is there anything similar but better out there?

Since you're asking in a board game forum, I will assume you might be interested in PC games that play similar to such. If so, then I suggest you check out Lock 'n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad, which is on sale. It's The best port of a board game to PC that I have seen.

I have not played Battle Academy so can't comment on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a light, beer and pretzels type wargame. Nothing more or less.

Not at all like Combat Mission but still has fog of war, suppression, cover, flanking etc. Functional graphics and tons of scenarios. Works great on iPad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Played the original Battle Academy and two or three expansions (on mac). About as (non-)hardcore as Panzer General, but on a tactical level. Like a simple grid-based miniatures game. Never tried multiplayer, but lots of fun mission in the solitaire campaigns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Duckman wrote:
It's a light, beer and pretzels type wargame. Nothing more or less.

Not at all like Combat Mission but still has fog of war, suppression, cover, flanking etc. Functional graphics and tons of scenarios. Works great on iPad.

So basically like 'Steel Panthers' or tactical 'Panzer Corp' but with 3d style graphics?

Have been looking around at options myself this morning and stumbled across 'Gravteam Tactics' which looks like a souped-up Combat Mission - tempted. But I probably have got room for a lighter beer-and-pretzels game as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. H.
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't mind paying for the DLCs, check out ORDER OF BATTLE on Matrix games. I quite like it... it's a more refined iteration of Panzer Corps IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
domus_ludorum wrote:
Have been looking around at options myself this morning and stumbled across 'Gravteam Tactics' which looks like a souped-up Combat Mission - tempted. But I probably have got room for a lighter beer-and-pretzels game as well.

It is a much better and more complex game but certainly not beer-and-pretzels!

Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm is worth a look if you are into modern period wargames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Weihs
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both. There isn't very much difference between the two versions other than some graphic refinements and minor gameplay refinements. It's a fun game for what it is. It is not Combat Mission in any sense of the word. The other games mentioned here are great games, but it really depends on what you are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean T
United States
Tucson
AZ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up the base Battle Academy 1 the first day of sale. As stated it's beer and pretzels so far, but fun. A nice diversion for a mission or two when you have a spare 30 min. I'd say it's most similar to Steel Panthers with 3D cartoonish graphics. If you are looking for something more like Panzer General, then you want Panzercorp which is also on sale currently on Steam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SeanT wrote:
... I'd say it's most similar to Steel Panthers with 3D cartoonish graphics.....

That was the impression I had, so that confirmation helps, thanks. I think I will give it a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.