Hide
12 Posts

Mice and Mystics» Forums » General

Subject: Cheating or not cheating ? Chapter 2 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stuart Heath
msg tools
To cut an extremely long story short , I was absolutely storming through Chapter 2 last night in solo. Reached the last tile whilst still only on page 2. As I recall initiative was as follows.
Nez
Tilda
Rats
Lily
Collin
SK

Nez had Cat strength equipped and upon reaching the last tile I sent him straight to annihilate SK. The great god of Dice rolling let me down once again and turned out to be an epic fail - 5 dice and only 1 hit rolled!!
Tilda did some searching to keep her out of harms way and then the rats moved and one got within striking distance of Lily.
2 hits for the rat (typical), Lily fails defence roll and I then see she already has a wound so GAME OVER... Grrrrr.

Packed game away in bad mood - try again tomorrow

However about 3 hrs later.......
[i]OMG, I suddenly remembered Collin had the SLOW spell which I could have given to Tilda (or Nez, as we were all on the same space) this would have made the rats miss their turn and things definitely (maybe) would have been different.
[/i]

So should I set up the last tile again from memory ( and some pics I took) and attempt again? This is my problem with solo play , I am always forgetting to check who has what.

thanks for reading my inane waffle.
I posted a picture of the calm before the storm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoffer Nilsson
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I call no cheat.

Rules to me are sometimes broken by mistakes, and cheating for me is intentional. Solo or not, if mistakes can be undone without putting the group through too much effort I say do it. For solo games do what makes you enjoy the game the most
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's all up to you, I guess. What matters most is if you are having a good time (re)playing the game.

Personally, I take mistakes like that as they are. If this were to happen to me (and many similar things have), I would just accept that I lost because I forgot something useful.
That way if I win, I've 'genuinely' won. Also, by being a bit harsh on myself I end up replaying games more, which I think is a good thing.

I guess this is because I also play video games, where often you're not allowed to backtrack either (unless you're save-scumming). I'm totally ok with that.

Though some people I play with, don't like having their enjoyment of a co-op reduced by a small (but significant) mistake. If I'm playing with those people, I'll gladly rewind the game to the best of my abilities, and play on as if nothing happened from there.

That said, whenever someone forgets to do something and nothing really new has happened in the meantime (die rolls, cards drawn etc), we rewind without any discussion. No sense in being too strict on yourself, it's not tournament play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Heath
msg tools
cheers guys
I am now thinking if I have to go to the trouble of setting up the last tile I may as well just set up completely and run through the chapter again. Definitely need to pay more attention when playing solo though, its so easy to forget available cards in hand. Will take a bit of a time out before any significant skirmishes and review the board and cards in future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkangeldown wrote:
Will take a bit of a time out before any significant skirmishes and review the board and cards in future.

That's never a bad idea.
We always pause our co-op games a couple of times, just to check inventory and discuss strategy. It's easy to forget you have certain options when there's a whole bunch of ability and search cards lying around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been in that position enough times that I keep a record of the game state just before exploring a new tile so that I can reset a tile if I so choose rather than restarting the chapter from scratch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Heath
msg tools
oilerfan wrote:
I've been in that position enough times that I keep a record of the game state just before exploring a new tile so that I can reset a tile if I so choose rather than restarting the chapter from scratch.

cheers I will do that in future. A few quick pics should do the trick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falenthal Greenleaf
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, it always depends:

If I don't have time to play more, I pack the game and, the next time, I start the mission from the beginning.

If I still have time, I usually backtrack to some point and re-play from there.

In your case, where you had already finished gaming, I would start the chapter over. Unless I felt it was boring or something, then I might simply skip to the next chapter and follow the story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Greenley
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Greetings Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
I say no foul on the rewind. Is solo play, so who are you really cheating?

However, I'm pretty sure that Nez doesn't meet the requirements for The Ring Of Cat Strength (2 Movement, as I recall), so you did cheat there. :^)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Heath
msg tools
RMGreen wrote:
I say no foul on the rewind. Is solo play, so who are you really cheating?

However, I'm pretty sure that Nez doesn't meet the requirements for The Ring Of Cat Strength (2 Movement, as I recall), so you did cheat there. :^)

Well that clinches it. Im a dirty rotten cheat and now will have to play the chapter again.
To be honest i kind of feel better about losing now that i know i messed up anyway
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RMGreen wrote:

laugh Nice catch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmb
When we played thru, if we were near the end of a chapter, we'd replay the tile we lost in, if it was near the start, we'd start over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.