23 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Trajan? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Eby
msg tools
mb
My wife's favorite game is Castles of Burgundy and we are looking for games to put on our list for our family for Christmas. Would Trajan be a good next game? It seems pretty heavy but is it easy to understand? What else would be a good game to get for someone who loves Castles of Burgundy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. We went from Castles to Trajan. We love both and Luna.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Eby
msg tools
mb
How much heavier is Trajan? My fear if it gets to heavy she won't like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seby19 wrote:
How much heavier is Trajan? My fear if it gets to heavy she won't like it.

It is a fair bit heavier. It also have a lot of interlocking parts which might make it harder to approach. Looking at the games you own then Caverna may be closest to it in terms of weight - although personally I think Caverna is lighter than most of BGG does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Newman
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Trajan's fantastic, but definitely crunchier. La Isla is another great Feld on the lighter end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Eby
msg tools
mb
We have La Isla and enjoy that game but not nearly as well as Castles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both Trajan and Bora Bora a few times each. They get compared a lot as there are some similarities. But I enjoyed Bora Bora considerably more. It uses dice as action selection, but in a different and more interactive way than Castles of Burgundy. You can also get Bora Bora for about half the price of Trajan. Bora Bora also has some video run throughs. If you watch one of those, it won't be hard to learn the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hillier
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Trajan yet, but let me also throw in a vote for Aquasphere as another possible step up from Castles. It shares some similar features, namely a limited number of actions and a need to combo together moves to get more actions. It's heavier, yes, but not as complex as Trajan: it's easier to see how the interlocking mechanisms gook together in Aquasphere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
My wife and I love Castles of Burgundy.
She likes Trajan a bit more than I do but I think it's almost as good as Castles.

One that I've really been digging is Bruges.

We also like La Isla for the lighter game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We started with Castles and graduated if you will to Trajan. It took a few games for it to click as it is a bit heavier. Once my wife compartmentalized it into a collection of mini games in her head she was able to put them all back together and enjoy what the design has to offer. If you are looking for a Feld it is a great game. We've started reviewing all of our Feld games and offered our various opinions as a couple if it helps any: BK's His & Hers Stefan Feld Rankings.

I see you have and like Orleans, have you considered the expansion for a family coop mode? That is what we are getting. You've got some other nice games on your list, how about considering Concordia?

meeple Keep playing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
mbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
I have played both Trajan and Bora Bora a few times each. They get compared a lot as there are some similarities. But I enjoyed Bora Bora considerably more. It uses dice as action selection, but in a different and more interactive way than Castles of Burgundy. You can also get Bora Bora for about half the price of Trajan. Bora Bora also has some video run throughs. If you watch one of those, it won't be hard to learn the rules.
I second this. I also used to own Trajan, but I found this to be a very dull game. Euro games in general - and Feld games in particular - are almost never strong in theme, but I found that in Trajan the theme didn't connect at all. I did like the 'mancala' mechanic, but other than that I found it to be a lot of separate mechanics and 'mini-games' that made no sense to me. I actually really wanted to like the game because of the Roman theme, but this game was very disappointing.
As David commented above, Bora Bora has similar complexity as Trajan (both are a step up from Castles of Burgundy), but I found all the different actions and mini-games in this game far more logical than in Trajan. It connected better with the theme.

I love Castles of Burgundy, and we own all Stefan Feld games from the Alea series. They all play well with 2 players. Apart from Rum & Pirates (very light, would not recommend) and La Isla (Medium Box series), I consider Notre Dame as one of the lighter 'medium-weight' games from the series. That is one that I would definitely recommend.

I know that theme is not very important to a lot of people, and neither it is to me, but it is hard to explain why exactly this was an issue for me with Trajan. I would definitely recommend playing before you buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
You can try Trajan for free on this site:

http://www.boiteajeux.net/index.php

See if you like before you buy...

Personally, I prefer it. The central mechanism of the game that glues all the mini games together is what makes it in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Eby
msg tools
mb
bkunes wrote:
We started with Castles and graduated if you will to Trajan. It took a few games for it to click as it is a bit heavier. Once my wife compartmentalized it into a collection of mini games in her head she was able to put them all back together and enjoy what the design has to offer. If you are looking for a Feld it is a great game. We've started reviewing all of our Feld games and offered our various opinions as a couple if it helps any: BK's His & Hers Stefan Feld Rankings.

I see you have and like Orleans, have you considered the expansion for a family coop mode? That is what we are getting. You've got some other nice games on your list, how about considering Concordia?

meeple Keep playing...

We love Orleans and want to get both of the expansions in the near future. We have friends who just got Concordia so we may try that out with them as well. Your geeklist was helpful. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also I don't know if you play primarily as a couple or with others. But I think that effects Trajan a fair bit. With four it seems to me it would be a tougher game - more competition in the mini-games.

Anyway you could always watch the Rahdo run-through to judge its weight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave bcs
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Trajan, but it is not my favorite Feld. The point salads are even more disconnected from each other than in Castles. Whether you like Trajan or not depends on how much you enjoy the dominant Mancala mechanism that requires the most planning and mental energy. Do you like Mancala?

I enjoyed his new pick up and deliver The Oracle of Delphi though it is heavy and can become tedious when played with slow players. Previous to this my favorite Feld has been Macao. Most all Feld games have thin themes built around a dice manipulation mechanic and have minimal player interaction. They also, except for Oracles in which there is a race for victory, involves point salads. They can feel a little dry to me. Macao seems to hit a medium to medium/heavy sweet spot for me.

If you enjoy pick up and deliver I would definitely try Oracles. It is also physically beautiful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Canada
Niagara Region & Buffalo
Onatrio & New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seby19 wrote:
My wife's favorite game is Castles of Burgundy and we are looking for games to put on our list for our family for Christmas. Would Trajan be a good next game? It seems pretty heavy but is it easy to understand? What else would be a good game to get for someone who loves Castles of Burgundy?

Trajan is more involved, but I find it easy to understand because it is divided into six parts. It's easy to understand how each part works. The real difficulty is scoring well by choosing a good strategy and maximizing your return. Do try it out at boiteajeux.com after watching an instructional video or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett McLay
United States
South Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I feel Trajan plays better with 3.

- 1 ... I cannot recommend AquaSphere for a 2-player game. (imo) Its interactions and triggers thrive on more players.

+ 1 Concordia ... and I hear Concordia: Gallia / Corsica will accommodate 2 players well. Mechanics are different, not dice-driven.

For more complexity CO₂ plays tight with two. "Theme is strong with this one" ... 'just enough abstraction, which seems to appeal to you both.
It's an unsung beauty by Vital Lacerda. Also for 2P you might look to his heavier Vinhos Deluxe Edition.

_
_

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trajan and CoB, to me, are in a class by themselves. Fantastic games. I enjoy Bruges a lot, very fun, but a different type of game... more random tableau building style. Amerigo has potential, but I have only done a solo competitive run-through of it so far. This is how I rank the Feld games I've played...

Castles of Burgundy
Trajan
Bruges (with expansion)
Amerigo (probable)
Rialto
Aquasphere
La Isla
Macao
CoB the card game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Newman
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Amerigo would be a great next step between CoB and Trajan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McClure
United States
Fowler
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw on the front page of BGG this week that two of Feld's classics are getting reprints, Notre Dame and In the Year of the Dragon.

Notre dame sounds like a likely fit for folks that like COB and want something different that isn't too heavy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Graves
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Yes I think so. Trajan is easy to understand and we enjoy but not quite as well as COB. It is really several mini games and you are trying to win them all. The mancala mechanism is cool.
Grand Austria Hotel is a good alternative
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Eby
msg tools
mb
smcclure415 wrote:
I saw on the front page of BGG this week that two of Feld's classics are getting reprints, Notre Dame and In the Year of the Dragon.

Notre dame sounds like a likely fit for folks that like COB and want something different that isn't too heavy.

We have played Notre Dame and really liked it but it has been oop. Good to hear it is coming back!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Eby
msg tools
mb
MajWoody wrote:
Yes I think so. Trajan is easy to understand and we enjoy but not quite as well as COB. It is really several mini games and you are trying to win them all. The mancala mechanism is cool.
Grand Austria Hotel is a good alternative

Grand Austria Hotel is on our Christmas list as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.