Subject: How do you define: what is a "Dice Game"? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mortego

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does any game using dice count as a dice game, to you, like Monopoly or Catan? What about Alien Frontiers or Kingsburg, they have dice and then are used as workers to gain resources, are they dice games in your opinion? Or does the game have to have the word "Dice" in it's title to be a dice game like Nations The Dice Game or RA: The Dice Game...

How do YOU define: what is a dice game?

For me, I define a dice game as a game where dice have multiple uses such as Kingsburg and also if dice are the main mechanic of the game like Qwixx or Dice Masters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg Wolgast
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, a dice game is any game where dice are the main focus of the game. There are of course subcategories to this, where for example Alien Frontiers and Kingsburg are dice placement games.

FYI, I think that dice games are a very broad genre. For example, I would consider roll and move games such as Monopoly to be dice games. I'd also consider games like Catan and Lords of Vegas to be economic dice games. There are of course more pure dice games such as Yahtzee, but that would in itself be a subgenre according to me.

I have also learned that I should avoid all games in this very broad genre, because dice apparently hate me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Vestal
United States
Orland Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeorgW wrote:
I have also learned that I should avoid all games in this very broad genre, because dice apparently hate me.

I know your pain...

I myself don't consider something like Catan a dice game because they are a mechanic of the game, but the focus is on the roads, resources, etc. Lots of games use dice to this same effect and usually aren't considered dice games. For me, I consider something a dice game when it's both the focus and the main component of the game. As in, you may have some cards or other pieces, but clearly the dice are a focal point. This could be way off from an official definition of a dice game, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
As with everything around here, you will get half a dozen different definitive answers by people of 'authority' who say how it is defined.

Really, you just need to go with your opinion and own it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
ilmatyynyalukseni on täynnä ankeriaita
mbmbmbmbmb
a dicegame needs to use the dice as main thing, where everyone has their own dice that they can manipulate in ways to mitigate some of the random effects through various means.
I wouldn't count Catan as a dice game, it's a trading game at heart. mosts "classic"games like Monopoly, Ludo etc aren't either IMO.
La Granja has dice but I wouldn't call it a dicegame either as it has lots of other equally important parts. Stoneage is worker placement where you need to play the odds to succeed, but its not a dicegame either.
Roll for the Galaxy and roll through the ages are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
ilmatyynyalukseni on täynnä ankeriaita
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
As with everything around here, you will get half a dozen different definitive answers by people of 'authority' who say how it is defined.

it's one of those I know it when I see it things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
manus trium
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

A "Dice Game" must involve finely chopping vegetables to truly count as a "Dice Game."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dice games are some of my favorite games: I find something very tactiley appealing about rolling dice. What I think of when I think of "dice games" are games where the majority of players' meaningful decisions each turn are related to dice results (e.g. "Should I re-roll?" "WHAT should I re-roll?" "How should I use this result?"). For me, this includes things like Pandemic: The Cure, Roll for the Galaxy, D-Day Dice and Dice Masters.

I wouldn't consider Monopoly or Catan to be "dice games" because players don't make any meaningful decisions based on dice results. I haven't played Kingsburg or Alien Frontiers (though I'd like to), but based on what I understand about them, I believe I would consider them "dice games".

While not necessary by definition, it's also always quite nice when "dice games" have special custom dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:

I am hoping for more than a half-dozen definitions because for me, the more the better. No one will be able to have an "official" answer because I am sure there are none but I enjoy reading everyone's opinions which is why I posted this topic to begin with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wamsp wrote:
Dice games are some of my favorite games: I find something very tactiley appealing about rolling dice. What I think of when I think of "dice games" are games where the majority of players' meaningful decisions each turn are related to dice results (e.g. "Should I re-roll?" "WHAT should I re-roll?" "How should I use this result?"). For me, this includes things like Pandemic: The Cure, Roll for the Galaxy, D-Day Dice and Dice Masters.

I wouldn't consider Monopoly or Catan to be "dice games" because players don't make any meaningful decisions based on dice results. I haven't played Kingsburg or Alien Frontiers (though I'd like to), but based on what I understand about them, I believe I would consider them "dice games".

While not necessary by definition, it's also always quite nice when "dice games" have special custom dice.

OH YEAH, I like dice, regular & custom!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave bcs
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that a game is a dice game if dice are the principal focus of the game. In this way "boardgame" and "dice game" are almost mutually exclusive terms. For example,Nations: The Dice Game is not a boardgame even though it has a score tracking board included. It is a dice game in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave bcs
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manustrium wrote:

A "Dice Game" must involve finely chopping vegetables to truly count as a "Dice Game."

Dicing vegetables is no game. Serious injury can occur. It is VERY real.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manustrium wrote:

Have you ever played a "Brunoise Game"? They're a lot more difficult...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
Guantanamo wrote:

I am hoping for more than a half-dozen definitions because for me, the more the better. No one will be able to have an "official" answer because I am sure there are none but I enjoy reading everyone's opinions which is why I posted this topic to begin with.

OK, I'll bite.

I dice game is a game where the central 'action' revolves around 'multiple' dice and not just because dice 'resolve' the action of other actions.

Yatzhee, Extra, Express Games, King of New York, Zombie Dice, etc are examples.

I don't buy Risk as a dice game. The central mechanic is Area Control, dice just resolves the action of moving troops and could easily be replaced by cards or cubes in a tower.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
manus trium
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mutton_chops wrote:
manustrium wrote:

Have you ever played a "Brunoise Game"? They're a lot more difficult...

Surely "Brunoise Games" are a subset of standard "Dice Games?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave bcs
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
wamsp wrote:

Hmmm... I see Roll for the Galaxy, King of Tokyo, Nations:the Dice Game, Voyages of Marco Polo, and... Macao? What other dice are here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Example number 47 on why BGG's data base sucks!

"Dice game" is way too vague (Almost any game that uses dice gets checked as dice game to the point where the category is useless) and really should be split into many subcategories:

- Dice: Press your Luck: Players roll as many times as they like temporarily collecting points which they only keep if they stop before an unfavorable event happens.
- Dice: Set formation: Players are trying form combinations.
- Dice: Hidden for bluffing
- Dice movement: roll for single piece
- Dice Movement: roll for choice of piece to move
- Dice events: Die/Dice are used to generate a random event (think Catan)
- Action selection dice: Dice are rolled to give players available actions for the turn.
- Dice Combat: High Roll + unit strength
- Dice Combat: Roll for hits
- Dice combat: CRT
- Dice Combat: High die on multi-dice roll

And there probably should be others that should be added.
-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drdranetz wrote:
killerjoe1962 wrote:
wamsp wrote:

Hmmm... I see Roll for the Galaxy, King of Tokyo, Nations:the Dice Game, Voyages of Marco Polo, and... Macao? What other dice are here?

I posted this picture a few months ago asking folks if they could identify all the games represented in this picture via dice. They are not all "dice games", it's just that I LOVE dice, custom and standard.

I can't remember now all the dice involved but I think there were 23 21 games.

They are:
Spoiler (click to reveal)

Stone Age
Blue Prints
Formula De'
Catan The Dice Game
Catan The Card Game
Jamaica
Kingsburg
Nations: The Dice Game
Bang! The Dice Game
Talisman
RA: The Dice Game
Roll for the Galaxy
Bruges
Dungeon Roll (two different places white dice and black dice)
Small World
Escape!
Elder Sign
Pandemic The Cure
The Voyages of Marco Polo
King of Tokyo
Zombie Dice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
drdranetz wrote:
killerjoe1962 wrote:
wamsp wrote:

I posted this picture a few months ago asking folks if they could identify all the games represented in this picture via dice. They are not all "dice games", it's just that I LOVE dice, custom and standard.

I can't remember now all the dice involved but I think there were 23 games.

If you like dice, you should try Ciúb...it's got 62 of the blighters (plus it's actually a rather fun light game):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manustrium wrote:

Roll for the Galaxy had a working title of "Dice for the Galaxy", this was why it was changed:

onigame wrote:
At some point during development I was calling it "Dice for the Galaxy" but then decided it sounded too much like some sort of interstellar food-preparation game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Bruno
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's hard to define. My advice is to not get hung up on definitions of genre, it's like music genres, everyone has an opinion.
I was inclined to think that a dice game is one where you are working with dice to get favourable outcomes, choosing what to do with them.
Not a dice game is one when you are told, "roll the dice", and do a thing based on what the dice says.

Ie. I would call Elder sign a dice game as you are jusdging what you can do with your dice, deciding which to roll or keep etc
I would not call Talisman a dice game, cus they are just random number generators for the most part.

it's a tricky thing to define. Biblios dice has a lot of nice dice, but you just roll them and pick ones you want, you don't have to manipulate the odds to your favour or gamble on a roll. but it is the version of Biblios with dice in, so it is naturally called "the dice game"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even the things here on BGG that have a definition aren't really that well off... for example, for our game rating system, there are some that would like to rate Settlers Of Catan a 10/10 because even though outdated, it's still an interesting design, and one that got many people into the hobby. However, they're forced to give it a 5 to 8 because they no longer feel "they always want to play it", and now has been relegated to "take it or leave it".

Another BGG thing is what is the distinction between team game vs. semi-co-op. At one point, the former had games like Cranium and Battlestar Galactica, but for the latter, some people feel BSG is appropriate, while others feel it's only for games where only 1 player can win (barring ties)

Oh, as for dice games...
Games that primarily use dice as it's main mechanic/feature. Not so oddly enough (to me at least), I kind of have to agree saying Settlers Of Catan is a "dice game with a board", as opposed to a "board game that uses dice".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.