Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan King (The Game Boy Geek)
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just reviewed the new 2016 edition of Citadels and I really love that since adding more characters they also came up with 6 preset ways to setup the game for different play styles. If Libertalia came up with even one more character for each number and did the same this would turn Libertalia from a game that I really enjoy into one that would come out even more often.

I'm not sure if it still is under Asmodee but if so obviously this would be something in the future to not risk edging into the new Citadels market, but I'd love to see that happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to point out that coming up with and balancing new versions for 30 characters is way more of a task than for 9, and an extra 180 cards in the box would probably bump the price up somewhat as well. It would also make setup quite a bit longer - the extra step of making the right 30-card deck would take a while.

To clarify: I'm not trying to bash your idea and I agree that it could be fun; I'm just pointing out potential issues with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm...Let's do some basic combinatorics, shall we?

In Citadels 2016, you randomly select 8 of 27 cards, giving a possible 4,686,825 unique combinations.

In Libertalia, you select 21 from 30, giving 14,307,150 unique combinations.

So which is more replayable, then?

Oh no. Wait. In Citadels, the cards are ranked, so actually there are many fewer distinct combinations than I made out. In fact there are only 3^9 = 19,683 possible combinations, meaning Libertalia has over 700 times the variety of Citadels. This goes up to the region of 2000x if you play Citadels with less than 7P, which - for the sake of your sanity - I strongly recommend you do.

Can't mess with the maths.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea R
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well.. raise your hand if you have never thought that a small expansion for Libertalia wouldn't be cool.

..So? .... No one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristo Vaher
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Djna83 wrote:
Well.. raise your hand if you have never thought that a small expansion for Libertalia wouldn't be cool.

..So? .... No one?

Libertalia is near-perfect. I only wish there was a way to twist around or fairly randomize color strengths.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
Djna83 wrote:

..So? .... No one?

Apparently there are some cards designed but the publisher wasn't that keen of developing it further.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.