Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
michael esposito
United States
morton grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since there are no reviews, can anybody tell me anything about this title? Looks beautiful and there is no real tactical wwi boardgame out there.

How is the replay value?

Tks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cundiff
United States
St. Bernice
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to guess that "replay value" refers to the players facing a different situation each game and thus being able to play without the expectation that the game will play the same as the last time.

In this regard Tanga is replayable precisely because the British battalions are fragile. They will break at different times and due to differing circumstances. The key to multiple playings is learning how to maneuver these units in such a way that you maximize their impact while they're still viable threats (i.e. before the Germans have a chance of breaking the British battalions in fire combat). Your ability to cover their advance with proper terrain and using proper tactics to situate supporting units will have a direct impact upon the viability of many of the British battalions (and by British I refer to a multitude of units coming from India). Some are well led by British officers, some not so well led by indigenous Indian officers.

Historically the units involved were hastily levied lacking in training. IEF B (which was a 2 brigade unit commanded by Brigadier Aitken) had been slated for the Tanga operation. But needs in Europe took priority and IEF B was sent to Egypt. Aitken was left with a nominal IEF B which had no combat units and only a few staff officers. But still there was a need in Africa, and IEF B was reconstituted with one regular brigade (the 27th Bangalore) and another made up of service troops. Aitken himself was an officer with some combat experience but never did he distinguish himself. He was as average as they came.

The "British" in this operation are lacking in elan and skill and poorly led in almost all cases. So, the question in this game is, "can you as a commander, overcome the mediocrity of the troops and command to overwhelm the few paltry German defenders?"

Time after time you will groan as your units break down and run for the rear. Which units and when will create frustration and will create the "replayability" you seek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael esposito
United States
morton grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Tom. I was referring to different scenarios included in the game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cundiff
United States
St. Bernice
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Be advised that Tanga is the 2nd game of that "series" (games that utilize the same gaming system). Jassin, published by Khyber Pass Games (forerunner of Legion) published Jassin. I think you might do well to seek a copy of Jassin.

I would have to drag out my game to determine playability for specific scenarios, but I'd think there would be no difference as the players face the same basic problems in them as they do in the "campaign" game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hecker
Australia
Kallista, jewel of the Dandenongs
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mike_espo wrote:
... there is no real tactical wwi boardgame out there...

Outside of some unspeakably bad ASL scenarios, there is Red Poppies: WWI Tactics (and its successor Red Poppies Campaigns: The Battles for Ypres) and Landships! Tactical Weapons Innovations 1914-1918.

Can't comment on Red Poppies, but I've not yet been disappointed by a John Gorkowski game I've played.

Landships is great in showing the rapidly changing battlefield tactics in conjunction with the technological tools. Rules are a bit clunky but a good WW1 tactical game.

More battles using the Tanga ruleset though would be welcomed! The Italian-Austrian battles could be fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koff
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my "What's Next?" blog.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hamster007 wrote:
[q="mike_espo"]... there is no real tactical wwi boardgame out there...

Don't forget No Man's Land: Trench Warfare 1914-1918. Also Great War Commander is coming...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael esposito
United States
morton grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spindoc wrote:
Hamster007 wrote:
[q="mike_espo"]... there is no real tactical wwi boardgame out there...

Don't forget No Man's Land: Trench Warfare 1914-1918. Also Great War Commander is coming...

Thanks Bill. Will definitely get Great War Commander. Funny no Brits or Russians included...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.