Popular Tags: [View All]
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I just played through the first mission and was utterly destroyed by the ghoul priest (or whatever he's called).

With 2 players, the creature has 10 health and 4 combat. It is even realistically possible to defeat him?

You cannot get to him without some damage/horror on your party, so it's entirely likely that Roland cannot take the horror damage that he can dish out and Wendy cannot take the physical damage he can dish out.

Even if both players have a ready weapon for +1 damage each, with only 3 actions you can only do 6 damage in a round. And let's face it, you're going to fail some of those challenges. With retaliate, it's going to hit you back while you're failing to do damage to it.

I get that you need to evade this creature to exhaust it so it is not attacking you in the Enemy phase but that means less attacks.

It feels like this is theoretically possible but functionally impossible to defeat him. This implies to me that the designers know how they want the story to go giving only the illusion of a branching story.

Any thoughts about this encounter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Have Wendy engage the Ghoul Priest then evade him. If successful he will not attack in the enemy phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Broom
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Don't forget you don't have to kill him - evade, dash to the Parlour, grab Lita and run out the front door...

I don't know if you have read the resolution for that or the next scenario text so I won't spoil the rest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
very possible to kill him even more so in two player.
have you seen the damage boosting cards?
and attack boosting skills ..

lots of options a few are:- dynamite, backstab, guns

you might not finish it in 1 round of actions.. but you evade and assign damage to allies so you can survive in to the next round

top tip you really want to kill him it will be a pain if its allowed to follow you in to the other two scenarios #

1 coreing it

ps was utterly destroyed 1st few times and still some times with very bad draws, when true soloing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
Omega Centauri
badge
Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
You need to get to the parlour and parley with Lita, you need her help to inflict enough damage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like most things, it's easy once you know how. Look for the cards that boost what you need boosted, then save those cards for the ghoul priest. With experience, the encounter will last one round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Twizzleman
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I have played this scenario solo, with 2 investigators and with 4 investigators and each time we have had no trouble dealing with the Ghoul Priest. It's all about turn order and action economy. Evading him is paramount and it only lessens your attacks by one action. Only one investigator needs to evade him and then he is exhausted for the rest of the phase. Then the others can just go nuts on him, especially after picked up Lita. In our 4 player game, I think it only took us 2 rounds to defeat him, even with him having all the extra health. So yes, it can be done. And dynamite helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Allies help a lot. Use them to soak up some of that damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted an AAR in here where we had Wendy almost defeat the Ghoul Priest singlehandedly by using the Engage-Evade sequence (which she excels at) in conjunction with a couple of nice cards in her opening deck (Backstab, Sneak Attack). All told she put 9 hits on it (all the while knocking back her Gin - Wendy the drunken ten year old's Reign of Terror!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is encouraging to read. Still looks to me that a few bad chaos pulls and you will lose badly. I'll have to try it a few more times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill H.
United States
Cibolo
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I took him out solo with Roland, but the 38 special was pretty essential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Griffith
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mb
Sarimrune wrote:
This is encouraging to read. Still looks to me that a few bad chaos pulls and you will lose badly. I'll have to try it a few more times.

If you Evade first so he's exhausted he won't hit back with Retaliate. Also useful since failed evades have no consequence other than failed action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GMGriffith wrote:
Sarimrune wrote:

If you Evade first so he's exhausted he won't hit back with Retaliate. Also useful since failed evades have no consequence other than failed action.

Oh? I looked for this and couldn't find anything that said retaliate wouldn't work while exhausted. This would change the fight considerably.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarimrune wrote:
GMGriffith wrote:
Sarimrune wrote:

Oh? I looked for this and couldn't find anything that said retaliate wouldn't work while exhausted. This would change the fight considerably.

Quote:
Retaliate

Retaliate is a keyword ability. 
Each time an investigator fails a skill test while attacking a ready enemy with the retaliate keyword, after applying all results for that skill test, that enemy performs an attack against the attacking investigator. An enemy does not exhaust after performing a retaliate attack.
- This attack occurs whether the enemy is engaged with the attacking investigator or not.

- RR, page 18.

Quote:
Ready
A card that is in an upright state so that its controller can read its text from left to right is considered ready.
- The default state in which cards enter play is ready.
- When an exhausted card readies, it is returned to the upright state. It is then said to be in a ready state.
- A ready card cannot ready again (it must first be exhausted, typically by a game step or card ability).

- RR, page 17.

Quote:
Exhaust, Exhausted
Occasionally, a card ability or game step will cause a card to exhaust to indicate it has been used to perform a function. When a card exhausts, it is rotated 90 degrees. A card in this state is said to be exhausted.
- An exhausted card cannot exhaust again until it is ready (typically by a game step or card ability).

- RR, page 11.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Sparks
msg tools
mbmbmb
First game I played coop, and we killed him handily using Wendy to exhaust and Roland with Lita and a weapon to do the damage. Second game I played solo Wendy and she killed him using backstab and Lita+knife discard attacks. Had to soak one round of damage from him due to not having enough actions to exhaust and kill. My next solo with daisy I didn't have the cards to do it so that would have been a resign (since I knew I wasn't going tto be progressing the campaign I threw caution to the wind and tried anyway, failing badly!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I missed that an exhausted enemy does not reltiate. That's a game changer.

Thanks all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.