25.7% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Dave Schmidt
Canada
Strasbourg
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've owned the game as well as the Hoth expansion for about 6 months, waiting for this winter when I would have more time to get a campaign going.

Is it a good idea to play this game right from the get-go using either the RAEV/RAIV cards? (and the app if it ever comes)

Or would it be better to run a campaign as the imperial player?

Also, does the game work alright with just two players on the rebel side? Or should we run two characters each in that case?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
ASL ... yes, this is my Desert Island Game. If I have to give up all my 3000+ games and only allowed to keep one, this would be it. This bloody game stood the test of time. Around for more than 25 years - simply the best.
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmb
I play this game as a 2-player game with my wife.

I'm the evil Empire, she's four heroes. So far we've played the base game campaign, the Twin Shadows campaign and the Return to Hoth campaign. All three were awesome. This Sunday we plan to start the Bespin Gambit campaign.

I'm interested in the app, but it works absolutely fantastic the way we play it now. I can't wait for the Jabba the Hut campaign!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
swoop_ds wrote:
Or should we run two characters each in that case?

Preferably always play set up the campaign with 4 heroes whatever the number of (rebel) players.

If 4 heroes is not possible, at least set up for 3 heroes.

(Edits: Changing the number of heroes mid-campaign is for advanced players, not for first-time players. It would require adjusting the credits depending on the number of heroes and other things.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Corley

Utah
msg tools
a1bert wrote:
swoop_ds wrote:
Or should we run two characters each in that case?

Preferably always play with 4 heroes whatever the number of (rebel) players.

I agree. We are about half-way through the core campaign. We have five players, but usually it's just me (as the imperials) and one other. Both of us have lots of XP, but the other three players no so much and I think it makes it harder for them to keep up. We'll see how much of a difference it ultimately makes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ted Smythe wrote:
Both of us have lots of XP, but the other three players no so much

Every hero should have the same amount of XP. You only adjust for the amount of credits the rebels have (and the Legendary/Heroic reward cards) if you change the number of heroes during the campaign. (I was talking about campaign setup above.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rodriguez
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swoop_ds wrote:
I've owned the game as well as the Hoth expansion for about 6 months, waiting for this winter when I would have more time to get a campaign going.

Is it a good idea to play this game right from the get-go using either the RAEV/RAIV cards? (and the app if it ever comes)

Or would it be better to run a campaign as the imperial player?

Also, does the game work alright with just two players on the rebel side? Or should we run two characters each in that case?

Don't wait. Play 4 heroes, you two and your wife two and use the AI. You'll love it. My wife and I did the core campaign with the raiv set and it was fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have tried a Hoth campaign with the RAIV cards, and I aborted after the fifth mission. In those five missions, the Empire managed to wound 1 hero, IIRC. Maybe I played something wrong, but there was just no challenge.

Like the others before me, I recommend playing one imperial player vs. 1-4 rebel players. Note that I think the rebel player will have more to keep track of in the later missions than the Empire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DukeOfEarl wrote:
I have tried a Hoth campaign with the RAIV cards, and I aborted after the fifth mission. In those five missions, the Empire managed to wound 1 hero, IIRC. Maybe I played something wrong, but there was just no challenge.

It may have also been affected by trying with Return to Hoth. I have won 1 out of 6 missions so far as the imperial player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B
msg tools
mbmbmb
I would recommend getting the RAIV cards. The app isn't out, and FFG went silent after announcing it. Also, if it's like Road to Legend, it won't follow the same campaign as what's in the sets.

As far as RAIV difficulty goes, I find it to be on par with the D&D Adventure system games (Wrath of Ashardalon, Legend of Drizzt, etc.).

There are a couple of optional rules to increase difficulty and implementing those will up the challenge. I lost 3 missions in the core game IIRC and had a few more that went down to the wire. You do need to give the AI a helping hand. Use the AI instructions but pick good positions for them, focus fire with them, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.