BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Inlays for vertical storage/transport rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim H
Germany
flag msg tools
Hi,

I've recently started building foamcore inlays for my board games and I really love it. Just one problem: I like to store my games vertical, i.e. on edge, and that doesn't really work well with most inlays. If the lid just lifts a little (e.g. by moving the game next to it), parts fall out of their compartments and everything gets mixed up. Same is true (even more so) with transport: I like putting the games in a big bag, of course vertical, so you can image what that looks like after the transport...

This is no problem at all with my previous approach: tons of zip bags.

How do you handle this? I was thinking about some foamcore lid that fits tightly into the top of the box, but this doesn't seem to be a very robust solution...

Cheers,
Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adastra
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually avoid this problem by wrapping an elastic strap tightly around the box for transport (there are really big sturdy ones). As for storage, it's usually fine if the games sit tightly next to each other so the lid can't slide off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
x-bands like these: http://www.euroffice.co.uk/product/x-bands-rubber-100mm-diam...

No idea what the German for these is, but they are perfect for the job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
x-bands like these: http://www.euroffice.co.uk/product/x-bands-rubber-100mm-diam...

No idea what the German for these is, but they are perfect for the job.

Kreuzgummibänder (I had to look this up.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Several ways to deal with it.

Hinged lid for the mini. Partition divider (out of box on left) to keep the card tray and dice in place. Bead containers for bits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
smithlucas wrote:
Kreuzgummibänder

Nooooooo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:

For a cheaper alternative, consider bondage tape. It's basically exactly the same thing as "Hugo's Amazing Tape", but it turns out that the particularly-amazing thing about Hugo's tape is the markup. It sticks to itself and to glossy surfaces but without glue - just through surface adhesion or electrostatic forces or witchcraft or something. The same thing that makes card sleeves stick together when you least want them to - so probably witchcraft.

Which, for what it's worth, I'm pretty sure is "Hexenwerk" in German?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shalom Craimer
Israel
Givat Zeev
(Near Jerusalem)
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
enoon wrote:

For a cheaper alternative, consider bondage tape. It's basically exactly the same thing as "Hugo's Amazing Tape", but it turns out that the particularly-amazing thing about Hugo's tape is the markup. It sticks to itself and to glossy surfaces but without glue - just through surface adhesion or electrostatic forces or witchcraft or something. The same thing that makes card sleeves stick together when you least want them to - so probably witchcraft.

Which, for what it's worth, I'm pretty sure is "Hexenwerk" in German?

Don't say that... since it's PVC, it's probably van der Waals force that cause attraction between the layers of the plastic. No witchcraft, here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

More to the point, "Van der Waals Kräfte" isn't so significantly different to the English, so the joke doesn't work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.