Subject: Playing complex games right and simple games wrong... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So something funny happened recently to me - my daughter started to learn Hey! That's My Fish! with me and other family members recently. Normally I'm pretty good at knowing the rules & making sure I know what I'm doing in games, but I got it so wrong with HTMF when I first taught her & everyone else.

We played a 2-player game with 2 penguins each, then a 4-player game with 4 penguins each... shake

The funny thing is that I remember thinking in the latter game 'Christ, this is hard!'

Then I realised my error later on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett X
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully you've visited the following geeklist - https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/213682/games-you-might-be... - and checked all your other games are not affected whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I spend hours reading manuals for wargames, then turned out we were playing the little card game Lords of Scotland totally wrong - changing hands after each round and playing highest rather than lowest cards to block actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
tonksey wrote:
So something funny happened recently to me - my daughter started to learn Hey! That's My Fish! with me and other family members recently. Normally I'm pretty good at knowing the rules & making sure I know what I'm doing in games, but I got it so wrong with HTMF when I first taught her & everyone else.

We played a 2-player game with 2 penguins each, then a 4-player game with 4 penguins each... shake

The funny thing is that I remember thinking in the latter game 'Christ, this is hard!'

Then I realised my error later on.

You're not alone! My first games of HTMF, we played that you could place your penguin on any type of fish tile you want. I remember thinking "why on earth would you NOT place it on a 3-fish tile? That's just silly"... and yes, I was the teacher blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.