Popular Tags: [View All]
Raoul Schaupp
Germany
Karlsbad
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I also work on an own playmat for Arkham Horror. A big thanks to the user Pauljima, who inspired me and also create a beautiful playmat. But I wanted to print it at Artscow and his design didn't match their playmat sizes. Therefore I started creating my own design.

This is the actual draft of the playmat (in a lower resolution than the original).

And here a mockup, how my idea of using the playmat is.

Any suggestions or ideas?
After finalization, I'm happy to upload the picture in full resolution (5400x3600) and without the Draft watermark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work but can you fade the background out more ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Millikan
United States
California
flag msg tools
Very nice. I like the idea a lot. I'm personally a big fan of the top image without the red "indicator" text to identify where everything goes. Much cleaner without it.

How big would you plan to make this? Seems like it would need to be much larger than standard to fit all the cards... Also I would advise leaving enough room to have space between the cards. Having them all immediately adjacent is extremely frustrating.

My only criticism is that I generally dislike the placement of the deck and discard pile. Maybe I'm too set in my ways, but I like them to be side by side, so the discard above the deck would make this awkward for me.

Great job, and please let us know if/when you get it printed with some pics in use!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raoul Schaupp
Germany
Karlsbad
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MWAlbion wrote:
Nice work but can you fade the background out more ?

Do you mean the table or the book itself? Fade out is making it more dark, or? Sorry, English is not my native language.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raoul Schaupp
Germany
Karlsbad
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Millicant wrote:
Very nice. I like the idea a lot. I'm personally a big fan of the top image without the red "indicator" text to identify where everything goes. Much cleaner without it.

How big would you plan to make this? Seems like it would need to be much larger than standard to fit all the cards... Also I would advise leaving enough room to have space between the cards. Having them all immediately adjacent is extremely frustrating.

My only criticism is that I generally dislike the placement of the deck and discard pile. Maybe I'm too set in my ways, but I like them to be side by side, so the discard above the deck would make this awkward for me.

Great job, and please let us know if/when you get it printed with some pics in use!

The red one will not be released. It should only give you the idea, where the cards are placed, because on the playmat itself are no icons or such things.

This playmat is designed to print it as the "Custom Plate Mat" at Artscow. The size is 18"x12". This is why the space is so tide. But there are 12 spaces for assets and I believe, that you will never use all 12 slots. In my games, the most time I have around 5 assets played, so there will normally enough space, even if you have to exhaust cards.

I also don't like where the deck and discard is placed. I also think about to put it on the left side of the book. Normally I have my deck always on the left side of the table. Maybe I can rearrange it a little bit and put both decks side by side.

Has someone an idea, what to put in the investigator space. This icon was a temporary solution, as long as I don't have a better idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raoul Schaupp
Germany
Karlsbad
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So I reworked a part of the playmat. I make it a little bit darker and rearrange the spaces a little bit, so that the deck and discard pile is next to each other.
I also added a picture for the investigator space.

Here again the mockup, where you can see where the different cards should be places:

Maybe I should switch the space for the marker and for the investigator. What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek D
United Kingdom
Maidenhead
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StaggerLee wrote:

Heheh... interesting placement of the "Asset" text at the bottom there between the two hands, although the poor guy seems to have lost that particular asset... surprise

Seriously though, good job, I really like this. Out of interest, have you tried reversing the pages so that the investigator/draw deck/discard pile are on the left and the assets on the right? I think that might feel more natural.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmb
StaggerLee wrote:
I also work on an own playmat for Arkham Horror. A big thanks to the user Pauljima, who inspired me and also create a beautiful playmat. But I wanted to print it at Artscow and his design didn't match their playmat sizes. Therefore I started creating my own design.

This is the actual draft of the playmat (in a lower resolution than the original).

And here a mockup, how my idea of using the playmat is.

Any suggestions or ideas?
After finalization, I'm happy to upload the picture in full resolution (5400x3600) and without the Draft watermark.

Love this! My only comment would be... "Where do you place a two-handed asset or a an arcane asset that takes up both Arcane Slots"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raoul Schaupp
Germany
Karlsbad
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Poor Yorick wrote:

Heheh... interesting placement of the "Asset" text at the bottom there between the two hands, although the poor guy seems to have lost that particular asset... surprise

Seriously though, good job, I really like this. Out of interest, have you tried reversing the pages so that the investigator/draw deck/discard pile are on the left and the assets on the right? I think that might feel more natural.

I did not cut anything. He was pre-cut. :-)

No, I didn't try that. I will exchange that, when I'm back home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raoul Schaupp
Germany
Karlsbad
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pauljima wrote:
Love this! My only comment would be... "Where do you place a two-handed asset or a an arcane asset that takes up both Arcane Slots"?

This is the only open point. I have thought long about this, but in my Necronomicon inspired Design, it is nearly impossible to create a good placement for this. In your design it is much simpler, because you can place it inbetween the slots. In my design you have to place it on one side and have to remember that it take two slots. This is a drawback. But you can use the slot between the legs for the two handed weapons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raoul Schaupp
Germany
Karlsbad
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Another Playmat (Necronomicon Style)
Here is the newest version. I change many things.
1. Change the side of both pages
2. I take a new font, which I like much more
3. Change the color of the man and the icons to red
4. I also exchange the investigator of the photo
5. I added a action point tracker whick looks like a pentagram. You can also use it as a space for an asset.
6. Change the format from 18"x12" to 24"x14", which is the standard playmat size (I finally found a printer in Germany)

Any thought on this version?

and here a mockup, how I think the mat should be used

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominik Schwindt
Austria
Elsbethen
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Raoul you can also print your playmat at http://www.inkedgaming.com/.
They also offer some different formats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raoul Schaupp
Germany
Karlsbad
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominik73 wrote:
Hey Raoul you can also print your playmat at http://www.inkedgaming.com/.
They also offer some different formats.

Did you order there before? How are the shipping costs to Europe?
I have found following printer in Germany: http://ludipro.de/de/Custom-Playmat1

I will change 2-3 small things and then I hope the mat is finished. The I will upload the full mat here and try a printer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
Just an idea,

Is there anything preferential to be said about a layout with the 'mannequin' off to one side (taking up a 2x3 space rather than 3x3), like this?

The body and accessory slot no longer have a clear distinguishing element based solely on position, which isn't great, but the game functionality of having arcanes and hands side by side is there. Perhaps with a little scan of some rosary beads or the like in the accessory slot might be enough to give this layout the communication it needs in the middle two mannequin spaces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raoul Schaupp
Germany
Karlsbad
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Noaloha wrote:
Just an idea,
Is there anything preferential to be said about a layout with the 'mannequin' off to one side (taking up a 2x3 space rather than 3x3), like this?

The body and accessory slot no longer have a clear distinguishing element based solely on position, which isn't great, but the game functionality of having arcanes and hands side by side is there. Perhaps with a little scan of some rosary beads or the like in the accessory slot might be enough to give this layout the communication it needs in the middle two mannequin spaces.

Nothing spreak against the 2x3 placement, but the problem is, no matter how you place the 'muscle man' you will never have the perfect layout. And if you have a asset like Daisy's Tote Bag, which creates new hand slots and I think such stuff comes also for arkane slots and so on, this will also kill every layout. This is why I decided not to use the 'Arkham Horror LCG' Icons, so that you don't have this 'hard placed' slots like in other fanmade playmats.
So you can use my mat like I suggested it, but you can also place the cards on the right side like you want.

But if you want to print my mat design, I can easily create an alternate version with the 2x3 design for you. No problem. It should not take to long for me to rearrange this stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen

League City
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is favroabke not to print an icon or put in blocks (lines) that outline card positioning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
StaggerLee wrote:
But if you want to print my mat design, I can easily create an alternate version with the 2x3 design for you. No problem. It should not take to long for me to rearrange this stuff.

Oh gosh, don't go to trouble for that on my behalf, I'm not really a 'graphic' playmat sort of person (I love the tactile utility of playmats, but I err away from prints, just as a personal preference).

I mentioned the alternate position of the skinless fella only as a possible solution to the 'tracking double-slot cards' problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominik Schwindt
Austria
Elsbethen
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No I never ordered from inked. Shipping is 20 $ to Austria.

I never knew there was a playmat printer in Germany - I surely would try this before looking any further abroad.

Thank you very much for creating such a great design and for sharing it with us here!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raoul Schaupp
Germany
Karlsbad
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominik73 wrote:
No I never ordered from inked. Shipping is 20 $ to Austria.

I never knew there was a playmat printer in Germany - I surely would try this before looking any further abroad.

Thank you very much for creating such a great design and for sharing it with us here!!

I was also surprised. I searched in google "playmat drucken" and found two different printers in Germany, but this one seems the better one. Price is both nearly the same.

The final playmat in full resolution is at the moment pending for approval in the file section. I hope it will be approved in the next 1-2 days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.