Subject: Is there any reason this couldn't be a two-player? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking a championship format similar to Baseball Highlights 2045. All you'd need is an extra set of cue cards. Alternate the opening breaks to offset the advantage that gives. Play to 5 or 7 just like a legitimate snooker tournament. It could work, yeah?

A

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
England
LONDON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not familiar with Baseball Highlights 2045 (come to think of it I'm not that familiar with Baseball itself).

I haven't tested the game as 2 player, but can't see it being a problem (and I did supply 2 scoreboards!). First player would definitely have an advantage - maybe the second player uses a better cue (as no real need for cue upgrades without the increasingly difficult AI opponents). Let me know how you get on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I was thinking a better cue (two stars up?) for the second player. Though alternating matches should, in theory, help out the player who goes second each time.

The other option would be to limit each break to a max number of strokes, but that goes against the spirit of the game too much, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
England
LONDON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The game would certainly mimic the real sport in the way you'd just have to sit and wait patiently (generally with a drink beside you) while your opponent racks up a large break!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyrill Melai
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Once I could recite whole episodes of Dexter's Laboratory.
mbmbmbmbmb
aaj94 wrote:
I'm thinking a championship format similar to Baseball Highlights 2045. All you'd need is an extra set of cue cards. Alternate the opening breaks to offset the advantage that gives. Play to 5 or 7 just like a legitimate snooker tournament. It could work, yeah?

A

Mark already mentioned downtime. Although this indeed mimics an actually snooker match I am not sure if it would be fun. Another thing to consider is match length. First to five could lead to 9 frames to be played. That would take 2 to 3 hours?

But you are right, in theory there is nothing that prevents it from being played as a two player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.