Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tragic TheBlathering
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Hi there...

I think these are all the quotes concerning fire spread.

Learn to Play Rules P16 wrote:
At the beginning of each mythos phase, fire spreads. If one or more spaces contain Fire, place one Fire token in a space adjacent to a space that contains Fire

Rule Refrences P wrote:
If one or more spaces contain Fire, place one Fire token in a space adjacent to a space that contains Fire.

App Instructions wrote:
The fire spreads out of control. Place Fire in a space adjacent to a space containing Fire.

Anyway, I have always read this as you only ever place ONE SINGLE token during the spread event. Is that correct? Or do you place one fire token in every adjacent space to a fire token and what about if you have two separate fires?

TL;DR

Q1: Do you only ever place 1 single fire token during the spread phase?

Q2: If you only place a single token, what about when you have two completely separate (as in not connected) fires on the map? Do you place 1 token per fire?

Q3:
Do you place a single token in every adjacent space to a fire token?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a single new fire token no matter what.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
TragicTheBlathering wrote:
Hi there...

I think these are all the quotes concerning fire spread.

At the beginning of each mythos phase, fire spreads. If one or more spaces contain Fire, place one Fire token in a space adjacent to a space that contains Fire

Rule Refrences P wrote:
If one or more spaces contain Fire, place one Fire token in a space adjacent to a space that contains Fire.

App Instructions wrote:
The fire spreads out of control. Place Fire in a space adjacent to a space containing Fire.

Anyway, I have always read this as you only ever place ONE SINGLE token during the spread event. Is that correct? Or do you place one fire token in every adjacent space to a fire token and what about if you have two separate fires?

TL;DR

Q1: Do you only ever place 1 single fire token during the spread phase?

Q2: If you only place a single token, what about when you have two completely separate (as in not connected) fires on the map? Do you place 1 token per fire?

Q3:
Do you place a single token in every adjacent space to a fire token?

The rules you pasted are very clear in their instructions. Simply put: Place a fire token in every space adjacent to a space that has a fire token at the start of the mythos phase, unless it already has one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
new user
Fire spreads, it doesn't move at a crawl slower than the investigators. I've always played it where every single space that contains fire "spreads" so I'm placing multiple tokens around after the first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know where you two are getting your idea of clear from.

The rule is, as stated before:
Quote:

So, you place one token in a space. Not one token in every space nor each space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tragic TheBlathering
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
KoalaXav wrote:
The rules you pasted are very clear in their instructions. Simply put: Place a fire token in every space adjacent to a space that has a fire token at the start of the mythos phase, unless it already has one.

Actually I do not think it is that cut and dry.... Lets break down these rules...

If one or more spaces contain Fire, place one Fire token in a space adjacent to a space that contains Fire

If one or more spaces contain Fire : Check that there is fire. So if there is 1 or many, this is the same check.
place one Fire token in a space adjacent to a space that contains Fire : "ONE" token, "A" space. This says... place a single token next to a single space that has a fire.

Rule Refrences P9 wrote:

If one or more spaces contain Fire : Again, this is just a check to see if there is fire.. it is the same statement for 1 or 500 fire tokens.
place one Fire token in a space adjacent to a space that contains Fire. : Place "ONE", "A" space. ... so again.. it is saying place a single token, next to a single space containing fire.

App Instructions wrote:

Place Fire in a space adjacent to a space : Again. Its says "A" space and "a" fire, as in a "single" space.

Thematically I agree with you, but the rules seam very clear to me that it is only 1 single fire token getting placed. The disconnect between the rules and the theme is what is confusing me.

Also, when you have 2 separate fires, should you place a single token per fire....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TragicTheBlathering wrote:
Also, when you have 2 separate fires, should you place a single token per fire....

By the word of the same rules, definitely not. It's probably a good thing too, as if they were to have such a rule, they'd also need one for when two separate fires join and whether that counts as the one for both of them.

Another thing to note is that it would make a pyromaniac's job a lot easier if you spread every separate fire. Such a player could go about getting more fires to spawn by extinguishing particular spaces to turn one fire into multiple ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MICHAEL MOHRING
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
This was covered in an faq with the developer. One fire token per round. And it doesn't go through walls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
new user
Cowtippa wrote:
This was covered in an faq with the developer. One fire token per round. And it doesn't go through walls.

Do you have a link by chance?

I think that this makes some scenarios significantly easier… probably easier than they should be then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDukeOfAnkh wrote:
Cowtippa wrote:

I think that this makes some scenarios significantly easier… probably easier than they should be then.

The official FAQ at https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/27/a1... covers the second point:

Quote:
Q. “Can Fire spread through walls?”
A. No, Fire cannot spread through walls. Effects that affect adjacent spaces cannot affect spaces through walls unless an effect specifically allows it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Murmak
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
GregF wrote:
TheDukeOfAnkh wrote:
Cowtippa wrote:

The official FAQ at https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/27/a1... covers the second point:

Quote:
Q. “Can Fire spread through walls?”
A. No, Fire cannot spread through walls. Effects that affect adjacent spaces cannot affect spaces through walls unless an effect specifically allows it.

All FAQ says is that it cannot go through walls and rules are really vague (see comments above). There are several ways to interpret them:
1) All fire tokens are considered one big fire, whether they're connected or not. Each Mythos phase, players spawn 1 new fire token anywhere adjacent to any existing fire token.
2) Multiple adjacent fire tokens form one fire. There can be multiple fires on map. Each Mythos phase, players spawn 1 new fire token per fire, adjacent to each fire.
3) Each fire token is considered separate fire. Each Mythos phase, players spawn as many fire tokens as possible to spread fire to all directions.
So far we've played option 2) as it seemed the most logical gameplay wise. 3) would be the most logical in real life, but it would make the unplayable. 1) seems a bit too easy overall, even if some scenarios can be brutal even like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I beg to differ. The rules only support your option 1), Filip.

While I admit you can stretch the wording of the rules to cover option 2), such an interpretation leads to other problems that would surely have been addressed by additional rules. For example, there are two separated fires with a single space between them. You place the token for the first fire in that space such that it connects the two fires. Do you still place a token for the second fire now? If it were intended that we add one token for each fire, then they would have included a rule to address this situation.

The lack of this rule means that either option 2) was not the intention of the developers, or that the developers were incompetent. Given the fact that they did not have any similar omissions, I think it's clear that option 2) is not the intention.

As for option 3), it blatantly contradicts the quoted rules, as there is no way to even twist their wording to support that option. The supporters of this option above haven't justified their arguments in any way apart from thematically.

Thus, option 1) is the only method supported by the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.