Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, I'll just come out and say it. I'm not a sleever. I'm careful with my games and I have yet to wear out any of my cards by shuffling them. Besides that, sleeving costs money that I could spend on more games!
But in this case I'm thinking of making an exception. This is what I've come up with:

Pros:
1.) This is a deck building game. And it will require you to shuffle your cards more often than a regular board game. And sleeves makes shuffling cards so much easier.

2.)I think sleeves might obscure differences between different print runs/expansions and print on demand cards.

3.) Having sleeves will definitely protect the less durable print on demand cards.

Cons:
1.) Makes the game more expensive
2.) Makes the cards more "slippery" so you're more likely to knock your cards all over the table once in a while. Or they'll just spread over the table when you try to pick up the top card. I have experienced this when I've sleeved fan made expansions, sleeved cards are just not as "stackable" as non sleeved cards.

So what do you guys think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sleeve all my games.
It's an addiction (that I have and enjoy).
I will neither recommend nor discourage sleeving.
But, I did sleeve this moth'a and look forward to sleeving the rest of the stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a fan of sleeving, it adds costs, adds bulks, cards get slippery and slide around when stacked. If you use good sleeves the cost of sleeving approaches the costs of replacing the game in some cases. I typically don't play my games enough in circulation to wear them out and I also take good care of my games.

However one thing I feel worth clarifying is that it's not a deck builder, like Dominion. You shuffle at setup and maybe a few more times each game, not every other hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Schmoll
United States
Raleigh
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll probably not sleeve this one, but I'm not a sleever. I really have only sleeved Netrunner, but that's mostly for tournament reasons.

But if you're feeling it, sleeve away!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claude Hemberger
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
LCG cards are imo not the best quality, so I always sleeve at least the deck I'm playing with. Some of the staples will see a lot of play, so I don't want them to wear down more than other cards.

There is no reason to sleeve the entire player collection, if you don't mind resleeving every time you change your deck.

Sleeving the scenario cards is IMO up to personnal preference. I decided to do so in order not to be afraid of damage. Plus I LOVE shuffling sleeved cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info guys!
I'll just play a couple of games and see if sleeving feels worth the money.
I'm not a sleever at heart and I doubt I'll revisit the scenarios many times after the story has been revealed. I never did that with mansions of madness. So I doubt I'll do it with AH lcg.
Can't wait to play this on Saturday!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chemberger wrote:
Plus I LOVE shuffling sleeved cards.

Yeah,that's a dream compared to shuffling cards that aren't sleeved. It's just so easy, shuffling non sleeved cards feels more like you're just cutting the deck multiple times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lugiber wrote:
1.) This is a deck building game. And it will require you to shuffle your cards more often than a regular board game. ...

It is not a deck-building game (a game where you build the deck during the game) but a deck customization game (a game where you build the deck before the game starts).

The only time you shuffle decks during the game is if a card has you look in a deck for a particular card or card type and instructs you to shuffle it afterwards. If you made it all the way through your deck, you would need to shuffle but I have never seen that even come close to happening.

It is not unusual to have game sessions where you never need to shuffle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sigal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't going to sleeve everything, but I'm so glad I did.

1) With 2 cores, I have all 3 scenarios built and sleeved in their own colour (green for scenario 1, yellow for 2, and red for 3). Looks great, allows for super easy setup, and so organized when put away.

2) I also sleeved all the player cards. I wasn't originally going to, but since getting the coresets on release day, I've played and built decks for 4 of the 5 investigators. Being able to just move cards around without resleeving anything has saved me tons of time and aggravation. Since I'll be using a Broken Token storage solution (the artist case box), I'll sleeve everything from now on - this will make changing decks/cards very straightforward.

As an aside: anything two sided obviously was sleeved in clear sleeves. Anything that spawns "set aside" (such as the goals in scenario 2), got purple opaque sleeves to prevent them from being shuffled into the encounter decks by mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ioticus
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sleeve all my games with penny sleeves, which are pretty cheap. They work fine for me and don't know why they have such a bad rap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i sleeve the 33 cards that I play with. once I make another deck I move the sleeves to the new deck. It is a bit of a hassle, but it beats having 1k+ more sleeves that you will need as years go by.

I never sleeved encounter cards for lotr and I never regretted it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As with Netrunner and LOTR I always sleeve my current player deck.

Like the previous two AH is a game where you won't be using all the card equally so they are going to show wear at different rates. You only need a few packets of sleeves for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joltin' Joe
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only sleeve cards that will experience a lot of handling.

I sleeved 7 Wonders, for example, and Mysterium, because the players are constantly passing cards around and/or have their mitts all over them all the time.

For Arkham, I decided not to sleeve anything. I don't really like sleeves anyway. For me, it makes it harder to shuffle the cards. I pile shuffle, and sleeved cards slide all over the place. Sleeves also have glare (or matte finishes are cloudy) and obscure the great artwork, and overall they're just... sterile. It makes me feel removed from the visceral, tactile experience of the cards themselves.

Also, the players I play with are not rough on cards. Some players are-- you know the type--we all do. They can't keep from fiddling with the cards absently, even when it's not their turn or they have no need to be touching them, they do anyway. If you play with those types, you might want to consider sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arkham Chronicle
msg tools
new user
Hello.

Sorry to plug our wares twice in one day. It won’t happen often, we promise. But we made a video all about sleeving Arkham Horror LCG which includes options for partially sleeving your collection.

In case it’s not cool to post a direct link to it you can search for Arkham Chronicle on YouTube, it is video number 002 (Card Sleeves). We very much hope the video quality improves over time.

Again, sorry for appearing rude and pimping our content twice in one day.

The Arkham Chronicle noobs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Sawatzky
Canada
Randolph
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought sleeving was a waste of time when I started LOTR LCG. However, after a few expansions I noticed some of my most used cards, "I'm looking at you Gandalf and Steward of Gondor!", were starting to show signs of wear. I could then see when they were coming up in the draw deck. I didn't like this so I started sleeving everything.

To keep your costs down just sleeve the player decks you are using and use cheap ones (or none at all) on your encounter cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chemberger wrote:
LCG cards are imo not the best quality, so I always sleeve at least the deck I'm playing with. Some of the staples will see a lot of play, so I don't want them to wear down more than other cards.

There is no reason to sleeve the entire player collection, if you don't mind resleeving every time you change your deck.

Sleeving the scenario cards is IMO up to personnal preference. I decided to do so in order not to be afraid of damage. Plus I LOVE shuffling sleeved cards.

Yeah, this is where I'm at. Also, sleeved cards play havoc with the boxes I use to store my collections. (I use hard plastic boxes.) So, it makes sleeving the entire collection even less appealing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fed Aykin

Texas
msg tools
mb
I once double-sleeved a bunch of expensive Commander decks for Magic. It made them super slippery and impossible to keep stacked well, being 99 cards. I decided that I had been really crazy to do it, and added significant costs.

The first time I played with them, my brother spilled a Coke directly on one of the decks in the first five minutes. I was then very happy to have double-sleeved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Cooley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Me rocking out with my band, which you can hear at www.raindriver.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't normally sleeve my Euros, but I sleeve LCGs. These cards get handled and shuffled a lot, and most importantly, you add to the collection over time, years if you buy into the system, and the last thing you want is cards that are significantly worn mixed in with newer cards. Sleeve them all, you'll be touching all of them to deck build and even a little wear may be more information to your opponent than you'd like.

At worst, if you sleeve and change your mind, unsleeve and use them with something else.

I use the best quality sleeves I can afford, usually Dragon, sometimes the FFG sleeves, especially with non-standard card sizes. Penny sleeves are worse than useless, IMHO.

Doug
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.