Game of Thrones: The Iron Throne» Forums » Rules

Subject: Margery on last turn rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mechanical Gamer

London
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As you might think from title.. MARGERY tyrell power when many people are attacking with 4 influence. As soon as they win, does the game End, or is it a three way victory because MARGERY allows the placement of an influence after resolution?

**EDITED to remove a slightly drunken request for speed**

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Whitham
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmb
So the rulebook says when you've spread 5 influence, you win. This suggests the win is immediate, during the resolution phase and Marg's power, which happens after that phase, wouldn't give her a joint win.

From the manual...
"The game ends in one of two ways:
• One or more players have spread all five of their
influence tokens.
• All four characters from a single house are dead (“Character
Death” on page 9).
When the game ends, the player who has the most influence on
other players’ influence boards wins the game. In the case of a tie,
the tied players share victory."

The game ends as soon as the players achieve 5 influence. No chance for her power to activate as there is no "after the resolution phase", the game is over!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mechanical Gamer

London
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, thanks for your reply, this is definitely one of the options we thought possible too. I just feel like they would have stressed *immediately* in the rules were it to mean that effects after the victory - I.E finishing the resolution phase - were not to be done.

Would love to hear if there is a designer or playtester view out there...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mechanical Gamer

London
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or on the Margery card, it would have said "unless the resolution means that other players have won the game". I don't know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Masters
England
flag msg tools
#!STRING_NOT_FOUND!#
badge
Son of Jor-El
mbmbmbmbmb
As Jack stated above, the rules of the game are that as soon as somebody has spread 5 influence to other players the game ends IMMEDIATELY.

The leader ability on Margaery Tyrell's card states that it occurs *after* the resolution phase.

So if somebody spreads their final influence during a resolution phase, the game is over. There is no "after the resolution phase" because the game has ended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Whitham
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for backing me up if they had intended Marg to get joint wins with this power, they would have put 'during the resolution phase' or something. The word 'after' is crucial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mechanical Gamer

London
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, cool, I accept this idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John 0
msg tools
Gazbowski wrote:
As Jack stated above, the rules of the game are that as soon as somebody has spread 5 influence to other players the game ends IMMEDIATELY.

Well, that's not actually what it says in the rules. Firstly it doesn't use the word immediately, and secondly it doesn't spell it in all capitals.

I disagree that this is clear cut just from reading the rules. At no point is it explicit about whether the game ends during the turn or at the end of the turn. To me, it feels more in-keeping with the spirit of the game and the powers to allow this to happen. You could argue that it would say on the Margery card if you could do this, but equally you couldn't argue that it would say if you could.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Masters
England
flag msg tools
#!STRING_NOT_FOUND!#
badge
Son of Jor-El
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't quoting from the rulebook I was putting forward the rules in a way to make it easy to understand how they should be interpreted. However if it's direct quotes that you'd like I am happy to oblige.

The only part of the rulebook that refers to when the game ends is on page 8 and, to quote the rulebook exactly, says the following

"The game ends in one of two ways:

• One or more players have spread all five of their
influence tokens.

• All four characters from a single house are dead (“Character
Death” on page 9).

When the game ends, the player who has the most influence on
other players’ influence boards wins the game. In the case of a tie,
the tied players share victory."

So in the example provided by the OP the attacking players have spread their 5th influence as part of the resolution phase which, according to the first bullet point above, means that the game ends. Then, according to the final paragraph of the quoted text, the player who has the most influence on other player's influence boards wins the game."

Margaery Tyrell wouldn't be able to use her leader ability in this case, because the game ended during the resolution phase as soon as the attackers spread their final influence. This means that there is no "after the resolution phase" for her ability to happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.