Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: The stupid box insert rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I love this game and im totally in for all expansions forthwith....but there is one thing I hate about it and FFG are notorious for it.....

The stupid box insert....

It causes me so much anxiety because deep down i cannot bring myself to toss it....it grates the completionist in me...it even has some sexy art on it....if it was plain it would make the decision easier.

But realistically it is impossible to store all elements with it in situ...unless i store elements under the insert (makes no sense to its inclusion in the first place). This whole problem got worse when i sleeved everything.....

Seriously FFG you can do better than this!

...but congrats on a great game regardless!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Marino
United States
Windsor
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can invert the insert so you have a row on the left and right and the center is raised. Then you can put all the cards in sleeves in it. You'll need two piles each for Investigators and Encounters. You can use the tokens in little baggies to keep the cards from sliding around. With one core, it is a perfect fit. Of course the second you add any cards... You're out of room, but hey, it can work for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Cast it into the fire!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John M
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate the whole box. Its too short to store the cards vertically and since this is an lcg, I will end up with lots of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
happycatmachine wrote:
Take a look at my collection. With maybe five or six exception every box insert for all my games has been tossed. FFG isn't alone. Most inserts can't handle sleeved cards. I get your reticence. I really do. It took a huge leap for me to recycle my first insert. Be brave. You can do it. I made boxes out of my inserts at first. That helped.

Thanks for the moral support....ive been up all night contemplating the deepest of my board gaming values...searching for wisdom...answering some of life's biggest questions....

Will i ever be able to look at another game the same way?...

Will the board gaming gods forgive me for my transgression? or punish me with endless cursed dice rolls?

If i ever get to GenCon...will everybody know what i have done?

This is a big big decision....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just think of the insert as packing material; a way to secure the contents so they don't jostle around while being shipped around. If you realize it's just glorified bubble wrap, you'll have no qualms throwing it away.

I toss every single FFG insert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
derp wrote:
Just think of the insert as packing material; a way to secure the contents so they don't jostle around while being shipped around. If you realize it's just glorified bubble wrap, you'll have no qualms throwing it away.

Doesnt help that i picked up a copy of Scythe Collectors Edition recently also, which has had so much thought put into box storage they even put a little diagram on the side so you can fit everything back in its place....the contrast is blinding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
England
Hull
East Riding of Yorkshire
flag msg tools
But we have to change the rules because Monopoly's so boring!
mbmbmbmbmb

I feel for you m8. When FFG first did LOTR LCG it infuriated me that they never provided dividers.

At least with LOTR the original box was big enough to keep many cards in but this Arkham Horror box is a joke.

I would have thought they would have shown some compassion, for us and rectified this appalling situation with their new creation.

Don't they read feedback here on BGG? If I were them I would have provided adequate storage and a bag for the tokens emblazoned with FFG logo and charged an additional 50 cents.

Kel you said I'd be annoyed about the storage of the game and you were right, but just cos I am doesn't make me wrong holding that view m8.

I've still to play it and it looks like it will be an awesome game but come on FFG show some consideration for the sleepless nights your causing to guys like the OP and me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
chainsaw_ash wrote:

I feel for you m8. When FFG first did LOTR LCG it infuriated me that they never provided dividers.

At least with LOTR the original box was big enough to keep many cards in but this Arkham Horror box is a joke.

I would have thought they would have shown some compassion, for us and rectified this appalling situation with their new creation.

Don't they read feedback here on BGG? If I were them I would have provided adequate storage and a bag for the tokens emblazoned with FFG logo and charged an additional 50 cents.

Kel you said I'd be annoyed about the storage of the game and you were right, but just cos I am doesn't make me wrong holding that view m8.

I've still to play it and it looks like it will be an awesome game but come on FFG show some consideration for the sleepless nights your causing to guys like the OP and me

Cant believe they didnt include baggies....such tightass
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Schipper
Australia
Aberfoyle Park
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just turn the insert "inside out" giving me two lanes down each side. The bonus is i still get to see the lovely art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jam gamers wrote:
derp wrote:

Doesnt help that i picked up a copy of Scythe Collectors Edition recently also, which has had so much thought put into box storage they even put a little diagram on the side so you can fit everything back in its place....the contrast is blinding.

Yeah, FFG sucks in this regard. Scythe is amazing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My LotR collection is the size a small suitcase. So is ANR. This probably will be too. My point is you will likely outgrow any built in storage insert anyway, so just throw it out. I used to agonize about the cardboard expansion packs and deluxe boxes. Now they use clamshells and flimsy deluxe boxes so the decision is a no brainer. I don't think twice now about tossing them. Thank you FFG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
mschipper wrote:
I just turn the insert "inside out" giving me two lanes down each side. The bonus is i still get to see the lovely art.

I will try this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jam gamers wrote:
But realistically it is impossible to store all elements with it in situ...unless i store elements under the insert (makes no sense to its inclusion in the first place). This whole problem got worse when i sleeved everything.....

It gets worse. My significant other and I both missed some of the components from the Warhammer RPG when we first cracked it open, because FFG stuck the dice and some cards under the divider.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmb
My solution was to not throw away the whole insert (the box is terrible for storing all the cards/expansions in the future anyway), so I just customized ever so slightly:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Ft. Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've said it before; with their LCG business model creating its own market need for storage, FFG is missing out on a tremendous money making opportunity.

Why they don't market something similar to the Smash Up: The Big Geeky Box, Warfighter Expansion #9: The Footlocker, or the pending giant card box for literally all of Sentinels of the Multiverse is beyond me.

Heck, if they don't want to be bothered with selling boxes for each LCG product they could make a "generic" universal FFG box and just sell game specific dividers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Dickson
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
supermarino wrote:
You can invert the insert so you have a row on the left and right and the center is raised. Then you can put all the cards in sleeves in it. You'll need two piles each for Investigators and Encounters. You can use the tokens in little baggies to keep the cards from sliding around. With one core, it is a perfect fit. Of course the second you add any cards... You're out of room, but hey, it can work for now.

This

I've done this with just about every FF game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Favre
Switzerland
Sion
Valais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jam gamers wrote:
derp wrote:

With Scythe, you are not supposed to buy an expansion pack each month for the next 10 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
derp wrote:

I've turned several AH/EH inserts into Cthulhu themed dice towers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Scothern
United Kingdom
Glasgow
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pauljima wrote:
My solution was to not throw away the whole insert (the box is terrible for storing all the cards/expansions in the future anyway), so I just customized ever so slightly:]

Where did you get those dividers? They look very nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Are any of the LCG organisers that Broken Token (or similar) do a fit for this size of box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lorphanpaibul
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They make insert for small box but it's taller so the box doesn't fit flush and the cards are sitting in slanted. It's not the most ideal but if you want stuffs back in the game box instead of generic CCG box then it's one of the option (expensive one).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erv Walter
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
My name is not Ed
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer the Go7Gaming insert. Similar but cards aren't stored at an angle and the insert also can support small cards and feels more sturdy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scotherns wrote:
Pauljima wrote:
My solution was to not throw away the whole insert (the box is terrible for storing all the cards/expansions in the future anyway), so I just customized ever so slightly:]

Where did you get those dividers? They look very nice!

Looks like he made them, he posted up about 4 as images, would be amazing if he could share them as a set because they are exactly what I am looking for!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Ft. Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
velvetvoulge wrote:
Are any of the LCG organisers that Broken Token (or similar) do a fit for this size of box?

I've spoken with BT about this insert's main problem; the slanted cards are hard to get out. They indicated they are considering a vertical redesign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.