11 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: How Useful is the Encyclopedia for Daisy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
If Daisy is engaged with an enemy, can she spend an action to use the Encyclopedia to boost either her combat or agility skill by +2 before making any attacks or evasions without incurring an attack of opportunity from the enemy? If she does take an attack of opportunity, then really how useful is the Encyclopedia for her? She probably doesn't need it to enhance either her intellect or willpower, since she already has a great intellect skill already and her willpower is primarily used to make checks against treachery cards during the mythos phase.

I'd really like to find a way to use the Encyclopedia as her extra Tome ability each round to enhance either her combat or agility. At present, however, I don't see how she can do that reliably without taking attacks of opportunity. And with her health value being so low, no attack (especially one of opportunity) should be suffered needlessly.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emily Dickinson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emart40x wrote:
If Daisy is engaged with an enemy, can she spend an action to use the Encyclopedia to boost either her combat or agility skill by +2 before making any attacks or evasions without incurring an attack of opportunity from the enemy? If she does take an attack of opportunity, then really how useful is the Encyclopedia for her? She probably doesn't need it to enhance either her intellect or willpower, since she already has a great intellect skill already and her willpower is primarily used to make checks against treachery cards during the mythos phase.

I'd really like to find a way to use the Encyclopedia as her extra Tome ability each round to enhance either her combat or agility. At present, however, I don't see how she can do that reliably without taking attacks of opportunity. And with her health value being so low, no attack (especially one of opportunity) should be suffered needlessly.

There isn't an easy solution - it definitely provokes AoO, so it would not be worth using with a Ready Enemy at your Location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emart40x wrote:

Evade first. Or have someone else engage, and optionally evade, the enemy first, as evasion is not one of Daisy's strong suits.

EDIT: Hyperawareness should help. Daisy has no problem gaining resources, from what I've seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pittman
msg tools
mbmbmb
As others have stated, it's not that good for Daisy to buff herself when engaged with an enemy.

However, the fact she can use it on another investigator at her location is very valuable and feeds into her support role (in addition to being an investigation machine).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
I probably should have mentioned that I'm playing 100% solo, and single-handed. Probably this is a better card for multiplayer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emart40x wrote:
I probably should have mentioned that I'm playing 100% solo, and single-handed. Probably this is a better card for multiplayer.

Are you running Hyperawareness?

My feeling, with single-handed solo play, is that one should build one's deck primarily around the weaknesses of one's chosen investigator.

And that, by choosing cards that, to some extent, shore up those weaknesses, one can, I think, make the chosen investigator more flexible, and resilient, as well as opening up card pick options that would otherwise be weak in this context, such as the use of Encyclopedia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Bird
Antarctica
msg tools
mbmbmb
emart40x wrote:

Aha!

First remember you don’t need to kill everything. Or in fact anything. Sure it behoves you to deal with Enemies with VICTORY or that will roll on to future scenarios. But it’s not mandatory.

Maybe power up at a connecting location, then move, be engaged and have two attacks remaining.

Get yourself some disposable allies or a bullet proof vest and suck up the damage. That’s the most action efficient solution.

Or simply use Mind over Matter instead.

Phoenix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bowling
msg tools
Hyper Awareness and Mind Over Matter are your best friends if you are already engaged.

More to your original question - encyclopedia is awesome for kamikaze runs. Sometimes you just really need to fight something and there is no way around it.

By kamikaze I mean what someone above me said - trigger it, move, attack. Praying first might help. Or not drawing a chaos token lol.

I would like to also throw in that Daisy is an absolute beast solo since you can control what you face when with scrying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
Usually my problem is that I'm already at a location and an enemy spawns there during the mythos phase, so there's really no opportunity for me to use the Encyclopedia, move and then attack because I'm already engaged with the enemy before my turn actually begins. If I use the Encyclopedia as my first action to prepare for an attack (or series of attacks, for a tougher enemy), I have to suffer at least one attack of opportunity, and for an enemy like the Masked Hunter (in scenario 2), that means two physical damage and one sanity damage.

Hyperawareness would help for an evasion by boosting my agility, and scrying could help to keep the enemies in the encounter deck at least a couple of turns apart from one another. I hesitate to do too much scrying, though, because that's one less action that I can't spend gathering clues, moving to a new location, or equipping the most essential assets to handle the tasks at hand (e.g. shriveling, bulletproof vest, etc.). Playing solo and single-handed really taxes one's action economy, I've noticed. I have only three or four actions per round instead of double that amount in a two-player or double-handed game. And one investigator has to prepare for any kind of situation - gathering clues, handling combat, spending clues, etc.

I played The Midnight Masks with a solo Daisy deck last night (my third attempt so far, and first attempt with a custom-built deck using 2 Core Sets) and did manage to interrogate two of the cultists (including the Masked Hunter, thanks to a lucky round of Shriveling), but I was still defeated because I had four physical damage and failed to heal myself with Medical Texts due to an unlucky draw from the Chaos bag. Even worse, I had only a single Doom token on the Agenda 2a card, so I think if I had managed not to kill myself with a defective tourniquet I might have got another cultist or two before an eleventh hour resign just prior to flipping the last Agenda card. Rotten luck, certainly, but not surprising really given my poor luck with Daisy thus far. I'm determined to make her work, though, as a solo investigator, which is what got me thinking about using the Encyclopedia in the first place. But given the circumstances of solo play, I don't see how I can make this card work for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bowling
msg tools
I am also unsure that Daisy could take down the devourer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
She'd probably have to pursue the other two resolutions for scenario 3 (I'm being obviously vague here to avoid spoilers).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.