Xibalba» Forums » General

Subject: So...I am missing something about the Factions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Hall
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Please note: I just got this game this game today and I haven't had a chance to play it. My question/complaint is related more to thematic matters, so if those don't matter to you, carry on.

So, in this game, you're given a faction and a board to do along with it. The only difference I can see between the factions, so far, is that the same basic actions cost different amounts for different factions. Okay, not the most imaginative route, but so far so good.

All of the cards in the game are allied with these factions. And there are certain mechanical similarities between what the cards of the same faction can do. Again, so far, so good.

The thing is, every faction can purchase cards from every other faction. The cards all come out of their respective decks randomly, and you have limited options as to what you can purchase. Again, so far as I can see, there's no bonus to have cards linked to your factions, or cards related to the same faction, etc. There doesn't even seem to be a hell of a lot of synergy between the faction's cards.

To me, this is a baffling design decision. So, you've got this faction, but basically you don't give a damn if you're getting your own soldiers or resources or whatever. Your board ends up being this hodgepodge of more or less random stuff from everybody. I mean, fine, mechanically it might not make a huge difference, but it speaks to a certain laziness - I mean, the designers have gone through the trouble to make up this rather interesting world, why not make it mean something in the game? Disappointing.

I'm bringing this up because the groups I play with are very used to games where there's a certain playstyle associated with each faction. I'm just not seeing the impact of that in this case - and I know I'm going to get a lot of "huh?" when I try to introduce this. Am I missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Schillo
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Ahoi!

The factions have no influence at the game for now but we have planned ahead and when we are looking at a future expansion it will become important!

So we already put the faction names on the cards because we wanted to be able to use them in future when the expansion is released.

As you might have noticed you will also only find cards for four of the eight factions. That´s all part of a bigger plan and done so on purpose

Regards,
André
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hall
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
AndreSchillo wrote:
Ahoi!

The factions have no influence at the game for now but we have planned ahead and when we are looking at a future expansion it will become important!

So we already put the faction names on the cards because we wanted to be able to use them in future when the expansion is released.

As you might have noticed you will also only find cards for four of the eight factions. That´s all part of a bigger plan and done so on purpose

Regards,
André

Okay, good to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.