Cthulhu Wars» Forums » General

Subject: Painting tutorial suggestions for CW rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Levering
United States
California
flag msg tools
I've watched the CW forums since the launch of the first Kickstarter but this is my first time posting. After all that time i'm finally getting around to painting the figures and as everyone knows it's an imposing task. I went all in on OS 1+2 and plan to complete painting the factions before getting to neutral monsters and GOO.

I've done very little mini painting, mostly just Mansions of Madness figures before this.

Some time has past since then and I find myself really struggling with CW. I think I really need to focus on my fundamentals, but i'm having a hard time finding a tutorial that covers fleshy monster figures.

I started on Yellow Sign since Hastur was my favorite GOO sculpt out of OS 1.

I use Citadel paints and had a really hard time getting coverage with the yellows. It was too late before I realized the importance of putting down a white/bone base for yellow first. I start with base colors, then dark wash, mid tones, highlights, drybrush, and maybe another dark wash to tie it together.

I'm mostly ok with how the cultists came out.

I thought my King came out too dusky but I had to give up and move on

Mummies seem too high contrast, should have had a lighter flesh tone to create some range between the darks and the yellows.

The Byakhee I wanted to make look like shiny beetles so I used mostly metallics for the carapace and flesh/white for the gross sack part.

I see so many amazing paint jobs on these forums and I just really wonder what path people take to get to that point. Are there any particular tutorials that would be helpful for CW painting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like all of those pics, but absolutely love your byakhee wings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
Using a white spray primer is IMO mandatory to paint light & bright colours (such as in CW).
Another option is to use coloured spray primers (yellow, red, blue, green). That's what I did, it saves a little bit of time.

You seem to have a good handle on painting so just keep going !

There are tons of tutos showing various techniques on the internet, but I'm not aware of any specifically for CW, apart for the step-by-step I made for the King in Yellow (here).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Levering
United States
California
flag msg tools
That walkthrough you posted is incredibly helpful. I think the major technique i've been missing is glazing, i'll have to study up one that. Using the base color primers would have saved me a ton of time too. Considering how many cans of grey I went through just to prime all the figures, getting a colored one for each faction would have been the same investment.

Your work on these figures is among the absolute best and a real inspiration for me to understand the process better. Thanks for the additional guidance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
It takes a whole lot of thin coats of paint to get opaque yellow, especially if you don't start with a light color base coat or primer.

If you don't start with a light color primer/base coat, you can try a gradual build up of browns, to reach yellow.
black
suitable dark brown
brown
here you can either skip to light brown and jump over to yellow, using the light brown as the 'shading' and yellows and subsequent lighter shades of yellows as highlights; or you can jump to using bleached bone/off white, then adding yellow on top - then inking and highlighting to get a slightly brighter shade of yellow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.