12 Posts

Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Rules

Subject: Unity Clarification Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Kaylor
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So I've been playing for little over a year now. love the game, love the expansions, and love the Digital game. Unity regularly ranks as one of my top favorites for heroes. But i ran into something on the digital game tonight that i haven't ran into before, and I'd like to know community thoughts on it or if it was a bug that needs reporting.

I was playing a game against Voss with Ra, Tempest, Chrono, Unity, and Omni-x. no Variant cards.

I know Unity "cannot play golems during her play phase", which is fine. it's a basic part of her character. But when Omnitron allowed her to play the top card of her deck, she pulled out inspired repair. The text of which reads

"You may Draw a card.
You may play a card.
Each mechanical Golem regains 3 hp"

so i drew a card (hasty augmentation if it matters) and went to play a card. It allowed me to chose one of my golems!

I've always read the rule of "Cannot play during her play phase" as, quite simply "any time she can play cards, this is not an option" assuming that, when she is able to play cards, even out of turn order, it's more or less an extra play phase. if she is able to play golems on occasions that allow her to play out of turn order, she just got a lot more versatile.

thoughts? was it a bug? was i misreading the rules? were her an Omni just robo-broing it up? (robroing?) I'd love to hear what you guys have to say about this. if you need more info, i'll provide as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buster Atlass
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Like you, I have always played it as if you can't play a bot directly from her hand. That it needs 'pulling' out of her hand by another card or action. My gut feeling is its a bug but when I get the chance I'll have a re read of the cards and see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon T
Australia
Peakhurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In this case, the Golem isn't being played in Unity's play phase. It is being played in Omnitron X's power phase. Quite legal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
This is legal. It's also why Argent Adept is arguably the best Hero to play with Unity as all the extra plays he can give her during HIS play or power phase can be used to put bots into play if they are in her hand.

Unity's Play Phase is quite literally the Play Phase during Unity's turn. If it's not her turn then any play she gets from anywhere can be used to play a Golem (from her hand).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kaylor
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Interesting....this is awesome. Thanks everyone for your replies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems legal but against the intent of the designer. The intent was clearly that it's harder to play golems than other cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
No, the whole point is that golems can come out out of turn, but you need team support to make it happen.

The thing I need to test, because I realized this the other day, is Hasty Augmenting someone who gives you a card play; that should not allow a golem to be played because it's still your play phase, even though on another turn, it would.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kaylor
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
And I think that's where I was getting mixed up on. Playing a card that allows a card play vs a power that gives you an extra card play phase. Please let us know your findings if you can get to it before I do?

The key but subtle difference here I imagine is Omni's power specifically stating out it into play, not you may play a card. Super science Tachy would I imagine do much the same if two golems are on the bottom, but also if two oneshots are on the bottom and one of them is Inspired Repair.

Since the power Experiment reds put them into play, it's different than having a play phase. They come into play before their ability text activates, skipping any sense of "play phase" or "extra play phase". This being different from cards that allow you to play an extra card of your turn, because it is still a play phase (which is why you cannot play Inspired Repair to play a golem normally.)

This is, at least, how I'm starting to understand the rulings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Stull
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it is not Unity's play Phase you can play any Mechanical Golem from your hand. If you gave Argent Adept a power use through Hasty Augmentation and in turn Argent Adept gave Unity a card play she could not play a Mechanical Golem from hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
I think you're getting hung up on "phase"? The phases are parts of the player turn. Onitron-X letting Unity play a card doesn't activate a new phase for Unity; it's still currently Omnitron's play/power phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pydro
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
As long as it is not Unity's play phase, she can play a Golem from her hand. In fact, this idea is part of the point of "Scrap Metal". With "Scrap Metal" you must take a Golem away at the end of your turn, but it allows you to play a card at the start of your turn, not your play phase, so you can play any card, including a Golem, from your hand at this point. You can play a Golem, since it is not Unity's play phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kaylor
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TakeWalker wrote:
I think you're getting hung up on "phase"? The phases are parts of the player turn. Onitron-X letting Unity play a card doesn't activate a new phase for Unity; it's still currently Omnitron's play/power phase.

I was. In the original post i had stated that I interpreted it differently than it read. (always something that is a bad idea in sentinels). I read "may not play this card during your play phase" as "may not play directly from hand"

Since this original posting, i have used scrap metal to successfully bounce a cryobot back to my head who was almost dead and have another method of bringing him back out later at max health.

I loved Unity before, this new (for me) understanding of her rule has just made her all the better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.