Subject: Confusion that comes with expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Erwin
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Might just be me, but the more expansions we get to mix into the game, the more confusing everything gets and the greater difficulty we have with setting up the game properly. For example, tonight we were setting up to play with a friend that was over for Thanksgiving and I went to check the Mastermind as far as what villains to put in. Then we each randomly selected the other villains and henchmen that we thought would be fun. Then we each selected a hero to add into the mix. We shuffled everything all up and started playing only to realize that our scheme required us to have Deadpool as a hero. We'd put him in as a villain, but had forgotten to make sure he was a hero. So, we pulled out Thor and added in Deadpool, reshuffled everything and set out to play again. Awhile latter we had either a henchman or villain that said they could only be defeated with an X-men character, which we had not put into the hero stack either.

That's when I realized with all the different expansions we have, it meant we really need to go through each set and type of card to make sure they all work together. While this is doable, it does slow down the ability to quickly grab the boxes of cards and pull a few out at random and have a game that makes sense and works well. Anyone else thought this or run into a situation like this? Anyone have any suggestions for avoiding these issues in the future?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
First things first, you could read the spoiler list if you want to avoid this issue. This seems to be the most direct answer to your question.

More generally, you could also try to arrange the game as such:
1. Read the Scheme and make sure at least one of the indicated heroes is present. (No going up against the Legacy Virus without Tech Heroes.)
2. For each Mastermind, make sure at least two Heroes are in your setup from that Mastermind's expansion.
3. For each Villain Group other than Henchmen, include at least one Hero from the same expansion.

This is a good rule of thumb. While it'll make the bookkeeping during the setup a bit of a bear, at least you won't have to read every card beforehand.

... in any case, I quite enjoy the challenge of having an undefeatable Villain in the city, just for example. It's one of the things that can make the game a more interesting puzzle! And, while I like the surprises that come with a completely random setup, I will sometimes deliberately seek out tricksy setups like the one you described with the Brotherhood Villain Group without X-Men Heroes, or going up against Mephisto without Marvel Knights Heroes, and so on.

IMO, it's not a bug, it's a feature. Still, if you'd rather not chance it, I understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say fighting Blob without X-Men isn't a bug, it's a feature. You'll have to manage the city extra well in that scenario, because you can't defeat one of the villains. For most things, just take it as it comes. The twists on gameplay can be enjoyable.

I think the thing that would help most is to choose the scheme first, and make sure you read it before you set-up all the other decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markococo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
generic_erwin wrote:
Awhile latter we had either a henchman or villain that said they could only be defeated with an X-men character, which we had not put into the hero stack either.

Them's the breaks!

But yeah, read the scheme first and check the set-up for it. Add whatever you need.

Then choose away to fill in the gaps.

Equals fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cocktosen
United States
Weymouth
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like your set up situation you discuss is similar to how the randomizer would do it - which is to say the randomizer could possibly pop out a scenario that isn't as synergy friendly like customizing your game would be. If you are setting up the game to be customized then just double check everything. That may take longer but to be fair it kind of should since you are handpicking who and what you want to play with. If you go with the randomizer app or a player made scenario your set up time becomes quicker. You're just retrieving what you've been asked to.

My buddies and I really like the weekly challenges, and the effort and creativity that goes into them, that are offered. They are thematic, which is how we like to play our games, and as such they make the set up easier and a bit quicker. Often times when they come over to play I will have the first game set up and ready to go based on a weekly challenge that I found. If we go full on random then we let things happen as they may. Those games actually tend to be the ones we have the most fun with in terms of banter. After games like that we might make minor adjustmemts to see if we can win it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think even the training scenario in the Rulebook includes Spider-Friends, with Venom, who can only be attacked if you have a covert Hero, but then uses Cyclops, Wolverine, Iron-Man, Hawkeye and Spider-Man as Heroes, so the only Covert card available is Spider-Man's rare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Locutus Zero
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb
The first thing you always do should be to choose and read the Scheme. It can often have special set up instructions.

It's not so terrible if there is one villain in the city you can't defeat. Choosing everything randomly will sometimes create obstacles like that, but that's okay.

If you want the mechanics to blend well together and don't want to keep up with which cards work best with which other cards, just keep things thematic. The heroes who are most associated with a villain will often have mechanics that work well to fight that villain (and the villain may have mechanics that especially hurt those heroes).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Erwin
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you to everyone for the input and advice. I hadn't really thought about it being normal/acceptable to have bad guys you can't take out with the hero groups you have, but it makes sense. Also, thank you for reminding me about the randomizer app. I had completely forgotten about that and will try it out in the future as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you use a randomizer app such as http://tablemonkey.net/Legendary or Assemble on iOS, it will catch some of this stuff automatically. I would recommend that. You can still pick the heroes with the randomizer. It will just fill in the blanks. Otherwise, as the others have said, read the Scheme first (and then the Mastermind) to look for additional setup requirements.

Fight restrictions such as not being able to fight the Blob without a member of the X-Men is just something you have to manage when you don't have any X-Men heroes. It's not a setup requirement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I can sympathize. My most common boo boo I make is that when I finish going through a scheme with all the Masterminds, I sometimes forgot that I've gone to a new scheme and instead treat the Twist as one from the last. Just last week, I killed all the Bystanders on the city villains instead of putting a SHIELD Officer next to the Mastermind (so I forgot I was now playing Dark Reign of HAMMER instead Nitro Threatens Crowds).

I can't offer anything that others haven't already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
generic_erwin wrote:
Thank you to everyone for the input and advice. I hadn't really thought about it being normal/acceptable to have bad guys you can't take out with the hero groups you have, but it makes sense.

Blob might be the only example of this, I think, other than the S.H.I.E.L.D. Clearance Villains. EDIT: There are also two Venom Villains which require a Covert Hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.