BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming with Kids

Subject: Trying to figure out what we would like rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johanna M
Sweden
flag msg tools
new user
I´m new to gaming and to this site. As my user name inplies I´m a little bit reluctant when it comes to gaming, but since I now have a seven year old son that constantly asks to play games I´ve kind of been forced into gaming Now I´m on a mission to find games that we will all enjoy and I´ve discovered this whole new world meeple

I also have a ten year old daughter that plays every now and then and a husband that says he hates games

So my seven year old seems to enjoy most everything we play except for games that involve meanness towards each other (games where you get to steal from each other, send another player back or mechanics like that). My ten year old mostly likes to do things as a group, but unfortunately Forbidden desert didn´t appeal to her She also doesn´t like the mean mechanics. I asked her what she likes and she said she enjoys Horseopoly (like Monopoly but with horses) and part of what she likes with that game is the "roll the dice and then move part". Unfortunately that is one of the parts that makes me a reluctant player, I often find those games really boring blush She also said she's not that interested in games with cards. I think her experience of games with cards are: Go fish, Uno and Hanabi, so I´m not sure she'll completely dislike games with cards depending on how the cards are used. She does like Dixit for example.

I've made another thread in the forum about some games I´m considering and gotten some good feedback, but now I'm approaching the question from another angle and I'm hoping to get some suggestions that I can look into.

We´ve been going to a local board game shop to try out some games and the ones that worked was:

Dixit (huge success, even the husband thought it was ok) and Carcassone

Forbidden desert and Hanabi weren´t that popular with the daughter, the son liked Forbidden desert but not Hanabi.

Games I´m considering except Dixit and Carc:
Takenoko
Blokus

Do you know of some games either that have roll the Dice and move that are fun, or games that give you the same kind of feeling that my daughter might like?

I know Ticket to ride and King of Tokyo are considered good gateway games, but they havn´t really appealed to me. I havn´t completely decided against them though.

Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Johnson
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Roll and Move you could look at Formula D.
Camel Up is also a possibility if you're OK with the gambling aspect.

Machi Koro has dice rolling for resources, not the same thing obviously but worth checking out.

For a suitable co-op, Mice and Mystics may work for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
First, I'd say that if your son is the gamer, appeal to his interests first. If something works for your daughter as well, then that is a bonus, but let him play what he wants rather than have to conform.

That said, they might enjoy Camel Up or HomeStretch, games with racing themes but that use bidding to determine the winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
milky way
msg tools
Jaipur may appeal to your daughter, I play it with my husband (it's a 2 person game). The components are beautiful, plays fast and is addictive. I recommended to a coworker of mine to play with her son. It's his favorite game to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
milky way
msg tools
Deep sea adventure. Fun and super cute.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hastings
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
"In Veritae Victoria - In Truth Lieth Victory"
mbmbmbmbmb
milky way wrote:
Jaipur may appeal to your daughter, I play it with my husband (it's a 2 person game). The components are beautiful, plays fast and is addictive. I recommended to a coworker of mine to play with her son. It's his favorite game to play.

Deep Sea Adventure. Fun and super cute.

Both Suggestions are fanatastic. Deep Sea Adventure particularly fits well with what I think your daughter would like and is partly co-operative (you do have a 'loser' though). Can't recommend that enough.

The other suggestion Camel Up is great if you are ok with them gambling (I am not a big gambling fan but I find it teaches a good lesson about it).

My suggestion would be Stone Age, we love the rolling dice for resources and the different actions mean that it will work well from 7 up I would say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johanna M
Sweden
flag msg tools
new user
Bad Thoughts wrote:
First, I'd say that if your son is the gamer, appeal to his interests first. If something works for your daughter as well, then that is a bonus, but let him play what he wants rather than have to conform.

I was thinking that since he seems to enjoy everything we play it doesn't matter that much and that I'll try to find games that my daughter likes as well. He does prefer it when as many as possible will join in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabi Games
msg tools
mbmbmb
Always an easy and popular family game: TransAmerica
Regular Catan was and still is a hit with our children from age 6.
Very light: Le Paresseux, Avanti.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johanna M
Sweden
flag msg tools
new user
Thanks for your suggestions

Camel up and Machi Koro might work

Jaipur and Stone Age are actually games I've been wanting to try out for myself since I find them interesting. I'm guessing the seven year old will struggle with Jaipur, but maybe for me and the daughter What about Stone Age, do you think it could work for both?

Mice and mystics looks fun, will have to find out if it exists in swedish though.

The other games I'll have to check out some more. They didn't really appeal to me at first glance, but I'll read more about them to get a better picture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you checked Mechs vs. Minions? It is a cooperative game. Players control mechs by getting command cards and putting the cards on their boards, then execute the commands. It's very easy to teach and play, yet offers deep strategical options. My 7 years old son loves the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Violet Mackerel
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There is also a My First Stone Age, if you think that would suit your kids better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hastings
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
"In Veritae Victoria - In Truth Lieth Victory"
mbmbmbmbmb
Reluctant gamer wrote:
Thanks for your suggestions

Camel up and Machi Koro might work

Jaipur and Stone Age are actually games I've been wanting to try out for myself since I find them interesting. I'm guessing the seven year old will struggle with Jaipur, but maybe for me and the daughter What about Stone Age, do you think it could work for both?

Mice and mystics looks fun, will have to find out if it exists in swedish though.

The other games I'll have to check out some more. They didn't really appeal to me at first glance, but I'll read more about them to get a bryter picture.

my niece who is 8 almost 9 (so slightly older) manages to play Jaipur quite well. She does have a younger sister who is 7 but she is not much of a board game player at all.

Definitely take a look at Deep Sea Adventure - I have it on my wish list. After the first game I knew it was something I would love to have so take a look and see how you feel about it. thumbsup

edit: my thoughts just come out in writing so poorly -fixed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kowynia
United States
Bedford
TX
flag msg tools
Hi. I understand differently aged children with disparate gaming tastes. My sons are like that. Several people have mentioned some good games on here that I would concur with and then I will add a couple I feel might work for you all, even your husband. (My wife does not usually like to play games)
So we love Stone Age. Good worker placement but in a family setting lots of opportunity for discussion about choices.
Camel Up is light and fun. A little competition and risk.
Someone mentioned Takenoko. That one is good too. And Machi Koro. Pretty good.
Formula D is a fun racing game. Fairly easy.

I would add Carcassonne. Good tile placement, fairly fast. Really easy.
Sushi Go. A card game that is fast and light. Great if you only have 15 minutes but a good teaching game on variable or contingency planning.
Zooloretto is fun. Plan and build your own zoo.
Catan. Some people love it, some not so much. Good trading and planning game.
Last I would mention would be Pandemic. It is cooperative. My kids love the manipulation and tension building action. You do learn that you can have fun even though you may lose. Takes the sting out a bit because the whole team loses. (This is also a Matt Leacock game sine you already mentioned Forbidden Island and Desert, pandemic just has a bit more heft to it but still simple mechanics.)

Good luck finding some you like. And great for playing games. Kids will benefit far more than you realize. Gaming helps reading and comprehension, critical thinking, social skills, healthy manipulation, problem solving, dealing with setbacks, contingency planning, forethought, and I could go on. Plus, I always love playing with and spending time with my kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Nicholson
United States
Gilmer
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I would like to suggest Incan Gold a great press your luck game with cool gems, Get Bit! deluxe fun little strategy game, and lastly I would recommend Love Letter hope these help my family loves these games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McClung
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest Valaria Card Kingdoms. It works a lot like Machi Koro, but in my opinion is much better. Has lots dice rolling and no matter whose turn it is you feel like your getting something. I have played this game with people from 8 years old to 60+ and every single one has said they enjoyed it. A little fiddly with set up and tear down, but for me it is well worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Srdj
Croatia
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Karuba. Your family will love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Curtis
United States
Lalaland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!

A game that involves rolling dice and moving that still involves some strategy is Pairamid. It was designed by Reiner Knizia, and is underrated in my opinion. My 10 year old really likes it, and I think it's quite fun too. It might be hard to track down a copy however.

Rat-a-Tat Cat has been enjoyed by every kid we've played it with, though it is strictly a card game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Nagels
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
First of all, welcome!
Being new to a hobby that entails an entire board gaming world can be overwhelming, so I am glad to help out!

You've mentioned Blokus, but if you're playing with kids that don't like meanness in games...avoid it. I've played this with my girlfriend over and over and she has learned tricks to block me and take me out of the game. So not recommended even though it's a great game.

Regular ticket to ride can get very tense and mean if people figure out part of your routes and block you.

Takenoko, Isle of Skye, Get Bit, Castle Dice are among the titles that have worked great with kids in my experience. Nowadays, Happy Salmon is a smash hit with my little sisters-in-law (age 9 & 11). Prepare for chaos though as this game is about high fives, shouting and an overall good, non-serious time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will add Archaeology: The New Expedition as a good choice. You collect sets of cards and trade with the market. There is a bit of push your luck as there are some thieves and sandstorms in the deck. You can also collect map cards to get access to secret chambers in the pyramid!

Mechs vs. Minions is a great choice.

Alhambra is a good light game about building your own little city. Similiar to Carcassonne in some ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johanna M
Sweden
flag msg tools
new user
I appreciate every suggestion, but wow, there are so many games I'd like to buy. I can't even imagine how it would feel if I was an avid gamer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khexhu

Plainfield
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
Reluctant gamer wrote:
I appreciate every suggestion, but wow, there are so many games I'd like to buy. I can't even imagine how it would feel if I was an avid gamer

We've a 7 year old son, soon to turn 8, who is very fond of games. I myself have played over 2,000 different board games and I would say be careful following any advice for specific games. If you want to avoid wasting a lot of money you need to determine a few things as quickly as possible for yourself and then do your own research. It can be tempting to just let others tell you but even at 2,000 different games played I got tons of bad advice until I finalized the following for our own son:

1. What "Gaming-Level" are your children playing at (Much like reading level they could be several years above or below their actual age)? A few games won't answer this and I suggest until you know it you ignore suggestions like Mechs vs Minions and stick with games strictly for your son's age such as the Karuba suggestion.

2. Theme vs Gameplay Mechanics. It is more likely, on average, that your son and daughter will like a game based upon its theme more-so than its gameplay. There will definitely be gameplay elements they don't like so your best bet is to identify the right combo. Also this is a muddy area for suggestions as its about the biggest argument in gaming and often you can still interpret likes/dislikes both ways. For instance one of the first games my son fell in love with was "Outfoxed". Its a deduction game (and in my mind not one of the most strongly themed games) but in his mind he fell in love with the theme of being a detective. So I've been successful with other deduction games that FEEL like your being a detective and NOT just any game on BGG that is classified as deduction type regardless of its popularity. So back to themes what is your daughter interested in or what else appeals to her likes? Same for Son and Husband.

3. Game Length. I'd avoid any games with playing times over 60 minutes and try to add a couple lighter weight short playing time games (fillers as they are often called). These quicker faster playing games can help hook your daughter or husband into gaming more. It will also be easier to keep up the routine of playing games as many nights you either wont have the time for a longer game or wont feel like refreshing on the rules to something a bit more involved. They are also typically very inexpensive on average so less risk is involved and more can be learned in terms of some likes/dislikes.

4.What are you trying to really accomplish? If you aren't trying to turn everyone into "real" gamers then no need for games like Stone Age or My First Stone Age. While beloved by "gamers" there isn't anything in particular that is going to draw a child too it outside of severe parental suggestion. Stick with games your children are more naturally drawn to. The truth is these days there are plenty of games made for children and/or families. Gamers justify there own game wants by passing on the right kids/family game for one they're more interested in. Granted there is a fair balance to that as if you don't enjoy the games at all you won't end up engaging in board gaming as much even if your kids love the games selected so...in that regard...Id suggest 50/50 if your looking to play very often. About 50% of the games I own are stickly what my son would want/love and 50% are ones I like more and he likes but may not be his absolute favorites. We try to balance plays and this ends up with the ability to play most every night this way.

I'd also recommend for the next few games you not buy anything until you download the rulebook. You don't have to read it but skim it and see if it makes your head swim. Gamers tend to think of all these games as really simple but the reality is plenty are really far too overwhelming. I use to try to put a limit on family games based upon rulebook length (Say 4 pages ala Ticket to Ride ideally and in no case to exceed 8) but as games have evolved this rule works less well as more illustrations, gameplay examples, and so forth can lend to a rulebook being far longer or shorter than the weight of the game would otherwise be. The reality is once again you are your own best judge. A quick rulebook review has saved me from many purchases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johanna M
Sweden
flag msg tools
new user
I'd say my main goal is to find games I would actually enjoy playing. I've never been very interested in playing board games and always though it wasn't for me, but since I started to read about games and watch reviews and playthroughs I've realized that there are games out there that I will really enjoy.(So now I have to try to remember that I'm looking for games for all of us and not just look at those that I want whistle)

I would love it if my husband would actually like to play with us as well, but I think I'll just have to accept that he'll play with us occasionally, but only 'cause we're asking, not nececessarily 'cause he likes it.

My son seems to enjoy everything, except Hanabi so far, but what he requests mostly nowadays is DungeonQuest, Klondyke and African star. Earlier all he wanted to play was Chess.

My daughter likes everything that's cute and loves animals. She's a bit of a storyteller and she really likes Dixit.

They both say they like to "roll the dice and move", but, as I wrote earlier, I usually don't enjoy that mechanism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Reluctant gamer wrote:
Bad Thoughts wrote:

I was thinking that since he seems to enjoy everything we play it doesn't matter that much and that I'll try to find games that my daughter likes as well. He does prefer it when as many as possible will join in.

It's great that he can be so accommodating. However, I still think that it should be principally about him. Either start from the games that interest him and choose which best suits the family, or let him pick the game from the a list that you've already scrutinized.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hibbert
msg tools
A game that may interest you is Niagara. It might be a bit tricky for your seven year old but he'd soon grow into it. It's not quite dice roll movement, but the movement mechanic is interesting, and the randomness of the river movement helps create some fun. The moving, 3D game board is a big hit with kids too. You can also adjust rules to suit the difficulty level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Iwen
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
My kids have different tastes in games too. The oldest (age 10) likes just about everything, while the younger one (age 7) prefers card games. It's honestly a challenge to find games that they both enjoy playing. A couple of suggestions to look into that maybe appealing even though they don't have a dice rolling mechanic, but do have animal themes.

+1 Takenoko Both of my daughters love this game.

Zooloretto It a tile laying game that lets them build their own zoo. It's a fun game that is very simple to teach and play, but does have a nice friendly competition to collect animals and concession stands for your zoo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.