Subject: Templates for fan-made content rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been a few requests for templates to make your own investigators or Ancient Ones. I've uploaded some Photoshop files for this. I assume that the files can be converted over to GIMP or other design software, but don't have the programs to test with. As I write this, the files for research cards are still under review, but if they run at the same speed for this file set as they have for others, they should be up by tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Xelto.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This now has templates for investigators, Ancient One sheets, research cards, and mystery cards.

However, I've run into a small problem with the mini cards (spells, artifacts, etc.) A very small problem: 1/8 of an inch, to be precise. It turns out that, while I would like to get templates for cards that can be printed with a quality similar to what Fantasy Flight does, I can't find anyone who make cards in the mini card size FFG uses. Most mini cards are 1 3/4 inch by 2 1/2 inches. FFG uses 1 5/8" x 2 1/2". So: if anyone knows of a printer that will do FFG-sized mini cards and will do custom backs to the cards as well as fronts, please let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Waugh
msg tools
new user
These are great, are you planning to make some for the location encounter cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stealthychalupa wrote:
These are great, are you planning to make some for the location encounter cards?

Eventually, yes, I hope. I'm not sure about the backs of the location cards yet, I'll have to see how much is actually involved. I have print-and-play versions of the location cards already, so it's just a matter of getting the enthusiasm up for photoshopping the bleed space in... which can take a long time; doing the research and mystery cards took about 3-4 hours each side. The only reason you got everything spaced close together is because I had most of what you already see done.

Also, location cards are probably after other world cards and monster templates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Waugh
msg tools
new user
Well I look forward to it if you do My daughter has written up a few general encounter cards, and I'd love to have them printed out. When you say you have print and play versions what do you mean by that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stealthychalupa wrote:
When you say you have print and play versions what do you mean by that?

Print-and-play is, well, just that. Grab a printer, some decent quality paper, and have at it. You'll need opaque card sleeves and a card from another game for backing, so that you can't automatically tell the difference from a FFG-official card and one of your own until you draw the card.

Professional printed/"with-bleed" cards are ones you send out to someone else to get printed off on high-quality material. Depending on how good the source files and the printing materials are, you may still be able to tell which is FFG-original and which isn't, but it should hopefully take at least a second glance to do so. "Bleed space" is the extra stuff around the edges of the card that's supposed to be cut off by the printer, but is in there because print quality may be off by a small amount, and they don't want white showing at the edges of the cards if that happens.

If you take a look at the mystery or research files I put up, and compare them to ones from FFG, you'll notice that there's an extra 1/12 of an inch (25 pixels) around all the edges; that's the "bleed". If you turn on the layers marked "margins", that will show you both the extra bleed space, and the area inside the cut lines that you're supposed to avoid putting anything critical in, to make sure it doesn't get cut off if that side gets cuts a hair short.

Creating the stuff outside the cut lines is what takes up time when making these files, as I have to actually create the extra stuff around the edges. Now, I create most of it by cloning existing stuff from elsewhere on the card. After all, it's supposed to be cut off, so having duplicates shouldn't be an issue. But it also means that I have to smooth out color variances and element mismatches from the stuff I'm copying with what's nearby, so that if it doesn't get cut off, the edges of the cards still look natural. Getting all the vines to match up, for instance, was a real nuisance. If you look closely around the edges of what I did, you can probably see where the original cards end and where my alterations begin. But if I did everything right, it will take a real, real close look. And, of course, everything I added is supposed to be cut off anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.