casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
http://reallifemag.com/what-was-the-nerd/

Quote:
The fascist millennial is a pasty nerd watching shitty meme videos on YouTube, listening to EDM, and harassing black women on Twitter. Self-styled “nerds” are the core youth vanguard of crypto-populist fascist movements. And they are the ones most likely to seize the opportunities presented by the Trump presidency.
Quote:
As liberals sneer at the “ignorant” middle American white Trump voters, Trump’s most vocal young advocates — and the youthful base of American fascist movements going forward — are not the anti-intellectual culture warriors or megachurch moralists of the flyover states. Though the old cultural right still makes up much of Trump’s voting base, the intelligence-fetishizing “rationalists” of the new far right, keyboard warriors who love pedantic argument and rhetorical fallacies are the shock troops of the new fascism. These disgruntled nerds feel victimized by a thwarted meritocracy that has supposedly been torn down by SJWs and affirmative action. Rather than shoot-from-the-hip Christians oppressed by book-loving coastal elites, these nerds see themselves silenced by anti-intellectual politically correct censors, cool kids, and hipsters who fear true rational debate.

Though sports culture continues to be a domain of intense patriarchal production and violence — rape jokes are just locker room talk, after all — these days jocks in the news are just as likely to be taking a knee against American racism in the image of Colin Kaepernick. The nerds, on the other hand, are shit-posting for a new American Reich. The nerd/jock distinction has always been a myth designed to hide social conflict and culturally re-center white male subjectivity. Now that the nerds have fully arrived, their revenge looks uglier than anything the jocks ever dreamed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure is. The turn out at my white supremacist meeting was up last week. Yeehaw!

Inserting this disclaimer in here now, that I am not a white supremacist, I have never been to a meeting, nor do I associate with any of them nor do I support them in any way shape or form. I am using sarcasm because I am sick of the extreme words used by the left like fascism. Politics have shifted to the right, we have not become fascists nor is fascism on its way back. And lastly I assure you if it ever does, I will be one of the first with my God given right to own a gun as outlined by the second amendment be there to fight any fascists that try to take and maintain power illegally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the article's hyperbolic and unnecessarily inflammatory language undermined the author's points, but I found it an interesting read.

It certainly could explain some of the nasty online behavior among Gamergaters and the anti-SJW crowd: white boys who consider themselves nerdy underdogs who are actually as privileged and popular as the "jocks" they pretend to despise. It's persecution envy mixed with resentment at the notion that they could hold prejudice of any kind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Mann
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why in the fuck should anyone care about what in the hell is in www.reallifemag.com? Is that an offshoot of the Economist or the NY Times or the Washington Post or the Wall Street Journal or The Observer?

Or is just another pile of shit rag from on the Internet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
utoption2 wrote:
Why in the fuck should anyone care about what in the hell is in www.reallifemag.com? Is that an offshoot of the Economist or the NY Times or the Washington Post or the Wall Street Journal or The Observer?

Or is just another pile of shit rag from on the Internet?

I'd be prone to agree (and yeah that's a clickbaity as hell article). On the flip side, it's a 'think' piece not a 'facts' piece, I'm generally more willing to read those from weird sources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
i dont fully agree with the article either - but the main point can also be found in hoffers "true believer" namely that employees in industries demanding creativity (such as nerds) turn to ideological extremes very quickly under the right circumstances
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
i also found it an interesting theory given the number of boardgame geeks now showing up in rsp to gloat about the trump victory - who is the closest to a fascist politician weve had in the usa for a long time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
single sentences wrote:
i dont fully agree with the article either - but the main point can also be found in hoffers "true believer" namely that employees in industries demanding creativity (such as nerds) turn to ideological extremes very quickly under the right circumstances

I had a really mean thing I deleted, let me try again;

There is a potential issue that nerdy kids can be a low-cost target. If a kid/young adult is/feels isolated and alone, especially in the internet era, it's really easy to pick them up, make them feel actualized, and then radicalize them.

It's really telling (if predictable) that this particular flavor first peeked it's head out in gamergate.

Edit: Also, from a particular (pathetic) POV, it's an amazing power fantasy, especially the Trumpist version. Tell everyone to fuck off, nothing's your fault, and a license to violence on the people who make you feel uncomfortable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
single sentences wrote:
i also found it an interesting theory given the number of boardgame geeks now showing up in rsp to gloat about the trump victory - who is the closest to a fascist politician weve had in the usa for a long time
>sauron< "Puss*GRAB*MON!" been 'bery bery' GOOD to 'moi'!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
single sentences wrote:

I had a really mean thing I deleted, let me try again;

There is a potential issue that nerdy kids can be a low-cost target. If a kid/young adult is/feels isolated and alone, especially in the internet era, it's really easy to pick them up, make them feel actualized, and then radicalize them.

This made me think of [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wave_(novel)]The Wave[/url] ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area / Currently I sponsor gaming groups in Monroe & Alexandria, LA.
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

galad2003 wrote:
Sure is. The turn out at my white supremacist meeting was up last week. Yeehaw!

Inserting this disclaimer in here now, that I am not a white supremacist, I have never been to a meeting, nor do I associate with any of them nor do I support them in any way shape or form. I am using sarcasm because I am sick of the extreme words used by the left like fascism. Politics have shifted to the right, we have not become fascists nor is fascism on its way back. And lastly I assure you if it ever does, I will be one of the first with my God given right to own a gun as outlined by the second amendment be there to fight any fascists that try to take and maintain power illegally.

Who said that fascists would necessarily have to take power illegally in the first place?

After all, Dominionists (i.e. Christofascists) aspire to be elected to public office enogh to be able to dominate the government by force of numbers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.