6 Posts

Pandemic Legacy: Season 1» Forums » General

Subject: Half way through the game, sort of. (Spoilers!!!) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
So, i love vanilla Pandemic. I REALLY love Pandemic. But i was late to the bus for Pandemic: Legacy. In fact i didnt know it even existed until a while ago. I had heard the name, but had made the assumption that it was just going to be all the game sets rolled into one box. The "Legacy" part was largely ignored by me, for some odd reason.

I have been playing this daily. And i must say, i think this is brilliant! Its my first Legacy board game.

But why, oh why, did they have to do it? I had my suspcions from the off. And then April happened...

Suspicions, sort of, confirmed. My heart sank.

The Faded.
I can accept them. And it does not ruin the game in any shape or form. My suspicions were "sort of" confirmed because i was sort of expecting zombies. Something i did not want to see. I love a good zombie movie, me. But the market is so saturated that i have become bored of them.

Obviously the Faded are not zombies. And their description is acceptable. They are humans with some very severe symptoms.
But lets be honest, they are Pandemic's answer to zombie's. In fact it reminds me a little of the "rage" virus from "28 Days Later"

You see, for me, Pandemic has always been a game about just viruses. Its part of its appeal to me. Its "Outbreak" or "Contagion" the board game, sort of.
And Legacy started off as a brilliant story-driven version of that.
I just cant deny that the Faded lowered my liking for the story.

Now, dont get me wrong, i am still playing it. And i can still enjoy it. Onwards. i go...

If you have gotten this far in my rant, thank you.
I just felt the need to air my greivences with other gamers.

Regards,
P.U
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, a lot of people have commented on zombies being a bit of a disappointing big twist.

For what it's worth, these zombies at least come with the moral dilemma of being more-or-less normal people much of the time, rather than being obviously beyond saving the whole time...

And then there's the next twist...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hillier
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, this was a common reaction. The whole "they're not zombies but they're pretty much zombies except they're not zombies" description of the faded was, well, too close to zombies to engender any sympathy. You're supposed to feel something for them, to make future decisions about their fates difficult, but it's hard to do when they're pretty much zombies. Some people did manage to experience some gut-wrenching decisions about how to handle them, but our group didn't really get this.

Still, we did enjoy the rest of the game, and you are in for some major ups and downs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
rmsgrey wrote:
For what it's worth, these zombies at least come with the moral dilemma of being more-or-less normal people much of the time, rather than being obviously beyond saving the whole time...

Thats the one redeeming factor. The only reason that i didnt get completely put off when this section of the story came out. And i must admit, i do respect the developers of the game trying to reach a middle ground. I know there are lot of people who like their zombie stuff. And i do too. But for me, it's a case of; if i want to play a zombie game i'll play one. If i have just watched "Contagion" for the umpteenth time i wanna play Pandemic. But like you said, there is more to it. Which i am eternally grateful for.
And they are humans some or most of the time(if you can get past the whole traslucent skin part)
rmsgrey wrote:
And then there's the next twist...

You tease, you!

Daybreak wrote:
Yup, this was a common reaction. The whole "they're not zombies but they're pretty much zombies except they're not zombies" description of the faded was, well, too close to zombies to engender any sympathy. You're supposed to feel something for them, to make future decisions about their fates difficult, but it's hard to do when they're pretty much zombies. Some people did manage to experience some gut-wrenching decisions about how to handle them, but our group didn't really get this.

Still, we did enjoy the rest of the game, and you are in for some major ups and downs.

Yes, there is no getting past the fact that the Faded are Pandemics attempt at meeting a middle-ground between virus-created zombie (traditional George A Romero type) and super-virus that causes severe symptoms. Therefore, i cant help but get a feeling of "Enough effing zombies!"
However...
I cant deny, that the faded are unlike any zombie i have seen in fiction, that i can think of.
They are still human in this. The most zombie-ish side they have is that they do attack people and spread the disease. However, i have managed to do a little mental gymnastics and look at it as a virus that affects a persons psychology as well as physiology. To put it another way, they know not what they do.

Plus, its still early yet. More to come.

Thank you both for your replies.

P.U

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
So many people think that being bigger makes you a better person.
badge
I'm (probably) bigger than you, but that doesn't make me any better. It's what's inside that counts.
mbmbmbmbmb
Daybreak wrote:

Our group took the fact that these were still living humans with a severe disease fairly seriously, and tended to avoid having to use any effects that killed them as opposed to treating (when possible) or quarantining to keep the disease from spreading. It absolutely affected our decision-making, and I think in a good way. It kept us immersed, and any time anyone asked us about the 'zombie' figures, we were quick to say, "They're not actually zombies!".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
The figures are cute, and it's really important to recognise that they are not cubes for rules purposes, but I can't help feeling something more abstract might have given less of a zombie vibe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.