Subject: Is the base game enough content? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shawn Hubbard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
For those that already have KDM, do you find the base game to have enough content for a couple of replays? The mini count in the box seems light but I don't know how much that matters. If not, which expansions are "must haves"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The core is solid, you could probably get 100 hours out of it, in a few campaigns.

If you were to expand, what I most recommend is:
-Gorm (changes early game so you see it more)
-Dragon king (great alternate campaign)
-flower knight (different style of hunt)
-sunstalker (haven't played it but I've heard great things)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corporal Joe Bauers
United States
flag msg tools
No matter games or life
badge
Honesty over everything
mbmbmb
The core game with no expansions has months of gameplay, and you could always sub in miniatures from another game and just make up more gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott YahNotHappening
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
Base game is fantastic.

Gorm is the only expansion I would not play without. You will lose settlements, and slogging through white lions on campaign after campaign can get a bit repetitive; Gorm helps break that up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no "must have" expansions. I recommend just starting with the base game. There's easily 100 hours of play in it before you get close to having explored it.

At first only having a few monsters to hunt seems limited, but you'll discover that you'll want to face the same ones repeatedly to craft the gear you want. With three levels each and constantly altered AI decks, it doesn't get old nearly as fast as you might otherwise think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmit Svenson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
After fighting the White Lion scores of times, it still manages to surprise me in various pleasant and unpleasant ways. The AI system is really what makes this game so replayable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jones
Ireland
flag msg tools
Really hoping one of the new expansions is a Gorn equivalent early campaign quarry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Desforges
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I purchased KDM with the original KS with all the expansions. But when the game shipped the expansions only came about 6 months later so my first campaign was just with the base game.
I can honestly say there's plenty of content in the base game. And they now added a second boss so instead of ending the campaign at year 20 (you really should fight the watcher on year 20, it's much easier) you get a second boss at year 30. I'd guestimate it adds about 3 evening of 4-5 hours of play to one play through.
And I think all the old expansions will come back in stock in the KDM store. You can always just buy them one at a time later down the road. The dragon king campaign recommends you play it with just the base game so I would buy that one first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmb
Uthred wrote:
Really hoping one of the new expansions is a Gorn equivalent early campaign quarry

at this point i think poots is just going to start making up new content on the fly

me- poots can we have the frogdog?
poots - erm yea sure, if we get 3.9mill
2 mins later we hit 3.9mill
everyone - poots whats next?
poots- erm how about a giant with tentacle arms if we hit 4mill
2 mins later.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmb
base game has plenty of content, but i suspect that if you enjoy the game you would regrett not picking up some expansions they are all excellent so far at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bush
United States
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that I personally get bored quick with games and am quick to jump ahead and add expansions.

And seeing the low monster count in KD:M concerned me too. But that changes once you play it.

Take the first monster, for example, the lion. He has a pool of AI cards, and based on his level, and also which cards you happen to pull, the personality and fighting style can be quite different.

I've fought that lion way more than any other monster, and I haven't gotten bored with him yet.

But the first time I fought another monster, wow was it even more different. It amazes me how different they each are. I've played plenty of games where there are 10 bad guys and even though they look different, they really aren't.

I have all of the expansions, and decided to play the base game twice, without adding anything else. And now on my 3rd play through, I've just added the Dragon Expansion, which seems to be the #1 recommendation if you are just getting one (unfortunately hard to get, but I bet its an option in KS, we'll see).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pflug
Germany
Schwäbisch Gmünd
Baden Würtemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The short answer is YES!

It has tons of content,
and even if you play the campaign multiple times, it can develop into very different ways!

You will NOT have the feeling that anything is missing.
But you can add some add ons, so you can fight some different monsters, and try out different armor sets and weapons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gorkel wrote:
Uthred wrote:

at this point i think poots is just going to start making up new content on the fly

me- poots can we have the frogdog?
poots - erm yea sure, if we get 3.9mill
2 mins later we hit 3.9mill
everyone - poots whats next?
poots- erm how about a giant with tentacle arms if we hit 4mill
2 mins later.....

I have a theory that there's a "random miniature" generator he uses for KDM:

Roll body location. Roll body part.

"Ooh it's got a face where its knee should be! Awesome!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.