16 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Guarded cards at beginning of the game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Syrilian B
msg tools
mbmbmb
I am playing Escape from Dul Guldar and I am confused about what to do when Treachery cards are the "guards". I get that they would go off normally, but since it is the beginning of the game what happens? Are they just discarded with no effect?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
syrilian wrote:
I am playing Escape from Dul Guldar and I am confused about what to do when Treachery cards are the "guards". I get that they would go off normally, but since it is the beginning of the game what happens? Are they just discarded with no effect?

You resolve the treachery as normal. Then, the guarded card is no longer guarded. The fact that you are at the beginning of the game does not change how it resolves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For example, if the guard is Iron Shackles then the first player will have this condition attachment on his deck when the 1st turn starts.

If the guard is Under the Shadow, then until the end of the phase (which under the special rules for setup means the end of the first Resource phase) the threat strength of the staging area is increased. By the time you get to the Quest phase this effect will be gone (you got lucky by pulling a treachery that effectively does nothing).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Florita
msg tools
new user
Hi! Another similar question: is it mandatory or optional engaging an enemy attached to an objective card? In other words, if the attached enemy's threat level is below the level of my heroes, can I choose whether engage him or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Musicante wrote:
Hi! Another similar question: is it mandatory or optional engaging an enemy attached to an objective card? In other words, if the attached enemy's threat level is below the level of my heroes, can I choose whether engage him or not?

The presence of guarded cards or objective cards does not effect the engagement rules of enemies. So in your scenario, it would be mandatory engagement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Florita
msg tools
new user
Teamjimby wrote:
Musicante wrote:

The presence of guarded cards or objective cards does not effect the engagement rules of enemies. So in your scenario, it would be mandatory engagement.

Ok, thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Florita
msg tools
new user
One last question: once an hero grabbed an objective card, can I subsequently decide to get rid of it and place in the staging area?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Musicante wrote:
One last question: once an hero grabbed an objective card, can I subsequently decide to get rid of it and place in the staging area?

Nope, not unless the card says so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you may optionally engage an enemy attached to an objective card.

Yes, an enemy with equal or lower threat than yours, which is attached to an objective card, will automatically engage you. An enemy with higher threat than yours will not.

Unless something affecting engagement is printed on the attached objective, the same rules apply to attached enemies as they would to unattached enemies.

Note that the ability to optionally engage one enemy happens before engagement checks. For some cards it's better to optionally engage than wait for mandatory engagement, though I don't recall if that's the case for any base set player cards or for any Dol Goldur enemies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Florita
msg tools
new user
dalestephenson wrote:
Yes, you may optionally engage an enemy attached to an objective card.

Yes, an enemy with equal or lower threat than yours, which is attached to an objective card, will automatically engage you. An enemy with higher threat than yours will not.

Unless something affecting engagement is printed on the attached objective, the same rules apply to attached enemies as they would to unattached enemies.

Note that the ability to optionally engage one enemy happens before engagement checks. For some cards it's better to optionally engage than wait for mandatory engagement, though I don't recall if that's the case for any base set player cards or for any Dol Goldur enemies.

Right! thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Florita
msg tools
new user
Teamjimby wrote:
Musicante wrote:

Well, so I have to assume that where the text of all the objective cards states: "if detached, return X in the staging area", it means: "in case of death of the bearer"!surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Musicante wrote:
Teamjimby wrote:
Musicante wrote:

Well, so I have to assume that where the text of all the objective cards states: "if detached, return X in the staging area", it means: "in case of death of the bearer"!surprise

Yep, that would do it! sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim . K
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Here's a thing. I heard or read somewhere that the rules for revealing guarded cards during set up have changed?! IIRC they now don't get an encounter card attached to them.

Can anyone confirm this, with a link or something which authenticates it?

Or is it all rumour spread by Sauron himself?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JimBGG wrote:
Here's a thing. I heard or read somewhere that the rules for revealing guarded cards during set up have changed?! IIRC they now don't get an encounter card attached to them.

Can anyone confirm this, with a link or something which authenticates it?

Or is it all rumour spread by Sauron himself?!

I'm afraid you've been duped by one of Sauron's spies! Unless you can find it in the official FAQ, there are no rules changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim . K
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Now I think about it, it wasn't connected to guarded cards during set up, but there was definately something about when a quest card instructs you to search for an objective and add it to the staging area, if it's guarded you don't pull out the guarding card as well, (because you added it, and didnt reveal it)..
Does that sound more familiar to everyone?
Just looking to clarify that point :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JimBGG wrote:
Now I think about it, it wasn't connected to guarded cards during set up, but there was definately something about when a quest card instructs you to search for an objective and add it to the staging area, if it's guarded you don't pull out the guarding card as well, (because you added it, and didnt reveal it)..
Does that sound more familiar to everyone?
Just looking to clarify that point :-)

That makes more sense. The guarded keyword only triggers if the card is revealed. You might be thinking of Journey to Rhosgobel where one of the locations allows you to search for Athelas and add it to the staging area without triggering the guarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.