$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 107.73

6,695 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
42.2% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: is there a "Dummies Guide" to this KS? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
brian giese
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I back a lot of Kickstarters, but I can't figure out what pledge level is the "default" for I don't have anything for this game, but I wan't everything pledge.

It seems like the Insane level ones, aka the $1,666 was truly everything for old/new version and I'm dumbfounded at the cost and the fact it is gone already.

Can someone break down what the "base" pledge to get everything for the core of this game and all expansions.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Koenig
Germany
Fuerth
Bayern
flag msg tools
Tom is crazy!
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.bankrate.com/finance/personal-finance/7-psycholog...

(Couldn't resist )
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
The $750 Ancient Gold Lantern pledge gets you the game plus all the old expansions. Then you'd just have to manually add the new expansions as they're unlocked. There may be a bundle down the line with all the new + old, minus the pin-ups.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Bishop
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"truly everything" is the $1666 pledge. Everything new with this Kickstarter plus the base game is the $927 pledge. The base game and all stretch goals is $350, just the base game and base game upgrade stretch goals is $250.

Essentially, "all in" is NOT the "base" pledge for this project, and was never expected to be. It's a very expensive system to get everything for.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
Here's your guide: Don't be a dummy by buying into the weird cult that has sprung up around Kingdom Death: Monster.

whistle
9 
 Thumb up
5.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmb
the 1666 pledge is the get everything pledge, it gices you literally everything and yes its sold out.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmb
I keep looking over this page and there's still a lot of unknowns.

I suspect all the expansions will be able to be added-on after the KS is over, so to get "everything" you would need to buy "Ancient Gold Lantern" and hopefully in the post campaign pledge manager you can add on the new stuff you want.

Don't quote me on that though.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian giese
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Here's your guide: Don't be a dummy by buying into the weird cult that has sprung up around Kingdom Death: Monster.

whistle



lol

I am more curious what the cost is to get into this game. It is unlikely I'll drop the money on it. I wanted an idea what it would be though.

I backed 3 kickstarters in the past month that total was over $1200, so I've sort of blown my budget already... This does intrigue in a crazy sort of way.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Here's your guide: Don't be a dummy by buying into the weird cult that has sprung up around Kingdom Death: Monster.

whistle

The only cult is the weird group of people calling us a cult from the outside whistle



(You should join us, punchycat. I mean yes, we do have Kool-Aid but they call it Frenzy Drink and it doesn't really taste *hyerk -- wipes at mouth* it doesn't taste all that bad..)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Chamberland
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soul42 wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
Here's your guide: Don't be a dummy by buying into the weird cult that has sprung up around Kingdom Death: Monster.

whistle



lol

I am more curious what the cost is to get into this game. It is unlikely I'll drop the money on it. I wanted an idea what it would be though.

I backed 3 kickstarters in the past month that total was over $1200, so I've sort of blown my budget already... This does intrigue in a crazy sort of way.

The cost to get into the game would be $250 for the Lantern pledge which gets you the updated 1.5 version of the Kingdom Death: Monster Core Game.

Like all miniatures projects, you can add expansions if you expect to play the game alot but they aren't necessary.

Kickstarter wrote:
I’m new to Kingdom Death: Monster. What is the minimum I need to play?

To play KDM you will need one core game (offered in the LANTERN pledge level). This is a standalone item that should keep you and your friends busy for many days to come. The core game includes a 30 lantern year ongoing campaign with each lantern year usually lasting between 1-3 hours of gameplay.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmb
soul42 wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
Here's your guide: Don't be a dummy by buying into the weird cult that has sprung up around Kingdom Death: Monster.

whistle



lol

I am more curious what the cost is to get into this game. It is unlikely I'll drop the money on it. I wanted an idea what it would be though.

I backed 3 kickstarters in the past month that total was over $1200, so I've sort of blown my budget already... This does intrigue in a crazy sort of way.


Just pledge for the base game, and *maybe* for the Gambler's box. There's plenty of game in the base game, and it is replayable - there are many decisions to be made.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greasy Reese
Canada
flag msg tools
soul42 wrote:
I am more curious what the cost is to get into this game.


The answer to to your question is $250.

This is the "Lantern" pledge, and it includes the core game. This is everything you need to play it, and you could easily get over 100 hours of fun out of it without any of the extras. Everything else on the Kickstarter is extra and not necessary to play the game (even if the KDM cultists try to tell you otherwise).

Once you've played the core game, if when you like it you can choose to enhance the experience by getting some of the expansions.

Full disclosure: I am one of the KDM cultists, albeit at a lower level than most. I have the game, as well as Gorm, Sunstalker and Dragon King. I've played the hell out of this game, and I haven't even started Sunstalker or Dragon King campaigns yet.

Basically, the core game is jammed full of content and will keep you happy for a very long time.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett MacDonald
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My big question/confusion is the gamblers chest vs SG. Originally I thought the chest was basically all the SG... but we just got a pinup SG but it says it is not in the gamblers chest?

So is the gamblers chest all non pinup SG? I am sure it will be worth the money but really wishing I knew more about it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The kickstarter is super weird. As someone who has no idea what the game is, they really don't explain too much about what you get and what the different levels are. Somehow everyone is going crazy over the game but what I'm seeing doesn't look that impressive. Am I missing something? Why is everyone going wild over this?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Taylor
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eflin wrote:
My big question/confusion is the gamblers chest vs SG. Originally I thought the chest was basically all the SG... but we just got a pinup SG but it says it is not in the gamblers chest?

So is the gamblers chest all non pinup SG? I am sure it will be worth the money but really wishing I knew more about it.

The Gambler's Chest is an advanced rule system for the game. It is not required to enjoy the core game or the expansions -- think of it as modules that you could use to change the way the game plays.

SGs will be pin-up models that have no gameplay elements and expansions (i.e. monsters you fight that will have AI/gear/etc cards). Most of the SGs will be add-on purchases, but we may see some free stuff directly added to our pledges.

Edit: Modules is my word. We have no idea yet if it is modular or a single complete addition to add more depth.

Also, what's still unknown is the random die roll aspect of the Gambler's Chest -- as in, will all gambler's chest items eventually be unlocked (my guess) with a random die roll just to reveal in an unknown order, or is it truly a gamble and some items may possibly not end up in the chest (I really hope not).
3 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett MacDonald
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bat395 wrote:

The Gambler's Chest is an advanced rule system for the game. It is not required to enjoy the core game or the expansions -- think of it as modules that you could use to change the way the game plays.

SGs will be pin-up models that have no gameplay elements and expansions (i.e. monsters you fight that will have AI/gear/etc cards). Most of the SGs will be add-on purchases, but we may see some free stuff directly added to our pledges.


Thanks for the response! I hope there is more to it than just advanced rules as $100 for that seems steep. I guess time will tell.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Here's your guide: Don't be a dummy by buying into the weird cult that has sprung up around Kingdom Death: Monster.

whistle



What are you even doing here?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
mbmbmbmbmb
eflin wrote:
bat395 wrote:

The Gambler's Chest is an advanced rule system for the game. It is not required to enjoy the core game or the expansions -- think of it as modules that you could use to change the way the game plays.

SGs will be pin-up models that have no gameplay elements and expansions (i.e. monsters you fight that will have AI/gear/etc cards). Most of the SGs will be add-on purchases, but we may see some free stuff directly added to our pledges.


Thanks for the response! I hope there is more to it than just advanced rules as $100 for that seems steep. I guess time will tell.


Right, $100 for advanced rules is a bit steep compared to what you get for $250. This KS is confusing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Ainsworth
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
LarkinVB wrote:
eflin wrote:
bat395 wrote:

The Gambler's Chest is an advanced rule system for the game. It is not required to enjoy the core game or the expansions -- think of it as modules that you could use to change the way the game plays.

SGs will be pin-up models that have no gameplay elements and expansions (i.e. monsters you fight that will have AI/gear/etc cards). Most of the SGs will be add-on purchases, but we may see some free stuff directly added to our pledges.


Thanks for the response! I hope there is more to it than just advanced rules as $100 for that seems steep. I guess time will tell.


Right, $100 for advanced rules is a bit steep compared to what you get for $250. This KS is confusing.


At this point it will be a good idea to just kinda be patient and watch what happens before casting any sort of judgement. There will still be a lot of content and additional add-ons to come but until we know what they are keeping an open mind will likely be the best plan of action. I have one of the higher level pledges secured, to be on the better safe than sorry side, but I may very well change it depending on how the new content looks and how the add-ons will be handled.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.