$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 86.64

5,704 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
35.9% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

1846» Forums » Rules

Subject: Reserved token places and tile upgrades rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Walsh
Ireland
Lucan
Co Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
If a hex with a reserved token place (e.g. Cincinnati) is upgraded, does that remove the reservation?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
No. The reservation is for *a spot in a city*, not a particular tile. It lasts until either the Corporation is closed or Phase IV occurs, whichever happens first. See 6.53 or page 22, Glossary, "Reserved".
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Walsh
Ireland
Lucan
Co Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rahn
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
No. The reservation is for *a spot in a city*, not a particular tile. It lasts until either the Corporation is closed or Phase IV occurs, whichever happens first. See 6.53 or page 22, Glossary, "Reserved".


Confirming that if the city is upgraded and there are now 2+ spots (e.g. Cincinatti gets upgraded to green) all but one of these slots may be filled by other companies. Just one slot needs to be left spare for the reserved company not the whole city.

Also if the company the spot is reserved for uses all of its tokens elsewhere before Phase IV does this spot become free?

And any tips on how to track which cities have reserved spots on them once they get upgraded so the reservation isn't accidentally filled up? I'm sure with a few games under my belt I'll remember which cities to protect but any accounting tricks to use until then? Grab one of the companies spare tokens and place it on this spot upside down/blank? They could then discard one from their charter to flip this face up.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
TumbleSteak wrote:
Confirming that if the city is upgraded and there are now 2+ spots (e.g. Cincinatti gets upgraded to green) all but one of these slots may be filled by other companies. Just one slot needs to be left spare for the reserved company not the whole city.

Correct.

Quote:
Also if the company the spot is reserved for uses all of its tokens elsewhere before Phase IV does this spot become free?

No.

Quote:
And any tips on how to track which cities have reserved spots on them once they get upgraded so the reservation isn't accidentally filled up?

Put a penny on each of the three cities (Erie, Cincinnati, and Ft. Wayne). Remove them when the reservation is used (or the company closes or phase IV occurs). You'll memorize them quickly enough.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
Put a penny on each of the three cities (Erie, Cincinnati, and Ft. Wayne). Remove them when the reservation is used (or the company closes or phase IV occurs). You'll memorize them quickly enough.


You forgot Centralia
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BFoy wrote:
You forgot Centralia

No; Centralia is gray, so it can't be upgraded. As a result, the marking showing that IC has a reserve spot there will never be covered up.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
BFoy wrote:
You forgot Centralia

No; Centralia is gray, so it can't be upgraded. As a result, the marking showing that IC has a reserve spot there will never be covered up.


Oh come on, the joke is: Centralia is so forgettable.

The reserved space is to make sure the IC can start (in the unlikely event that it doesn't get started early). The Erie, Penn and B&O reserved spots are to balance the companies with the NYC and make sure those companies can get west. Last game I played, IC wanted to token Erie and couldn't. Also B&O started late, teleported into Cincinnati and got it's one 7/8 run. This game was definitely playtested and it shows.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.