Shadows of Brimstone: Forbidden Fortress» Forums » General

Subject: Sho-Riu, The Dragon King is HUGE. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
This guy needs his own thread! His model/render was unveiled in a beastsofwar.com article and they say he is 18.8cm tall.

For comparison, the Burrower I'm measuring to be ~13cm and Beli'al to be ~12cm to the head, ~18.5/~20cm to the wing tips. Here is a *very rough* comparison pic I made:

This guy is CRAZY HUGE. He makes Beli'al look smallish which is really saying something. I personally can't wait!!!

Here are some other pics showing scale of existing figures vs Burrower/Beli'al. Now try to imagine the Dragon King being even bigger:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
He looks really cool! It's a long slog to get to 1 million though in 5 days. KDM didn't do us any favors launching yesterday. Though the hit could of been worse.

But I'm still hopefully we'll make it. Though making it to 800k is the big one for me. One new epic boss is cool, but a new Otherworld is far more useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
He looks really cool! It's a long slog to get to 1 million though in 5 days. KDM didn't do us any favors launching yesterday. Though the hit could of been worse.

But I'm still hopefully we'll make it. Though making it to 800k is the big one for me. One new epic boss is cool, but a new Otherworld is far more useful.

Completely agree with you on this. Deluxe otherworld is way more beneficial to game play...

However should this Dragon show up in the PM, I'd probably pick him up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
wylde_karde wrote:
ScottE wrote:

Completely agree with you on this. Deluxe otherworld is way more beneficial to game play...

However should this Dragon show up in the PM, I'd probably pick him up.

Yeah, I'm expecting everything that they planned out to 1 million will be in the PM later if we don't unlock it. I'll pick up whatever isn't unlocked because I can't resist owning everything!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm not sure I'm comfortable with his legs pointing the correct direction :-p
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone know how big the Ancient One is for comparison?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
jurney85 wrote:
Anyone know how big the Ancient One is for comparison?

Good question. Ancient One hasn't been released afaik, but I did scrounge up this pic... I think from a Gen Con display case. Looks to be Burrower sized?

From this thread:
Re: Stuff for sale at Gencon

Edit: So I was at Gen Con 2016 and I found a better pic on my phone! Doh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:

I don't get KDM's pull, it looks like it's just a skirmish game?

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
shnar wrote:
ScottE wrote:

-shnar
I await the KDM mob arriving to tell you SoB is just another dungeon crawl.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joanna G
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
ScottE wrote:

-shnar

(Ugh cant believe I'm defending KDM) I think it's similar to Brimstone - your characters level and grow in a campaign/story. You have to assemble the figures too. The biggest difference I can see is it's Mature, you have less choice over your characters (4 to choose from I think), and the theme is different, set in a hellish nightmare. Doesnt look as fun as Brimstone, less variety of enemies and heroes, and the story is much much darker, but similar genre of game (rpg/board game.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
horfrost3 wrote:
shnar wrote:
ScottE wrote:

-shnar

(Ugh cant believe I'm defending KDM) I think it's similar to Brimstone - your characters level and grow in a campaign/story. You have to assemble the figures too. The biggest difference I can see is it's Mature, you have less choice over your characters (4 to choose from I think), and the theme is different, set in a hellish nightmare. Doesnt look as fun as Brimstone, less variety of enemies and heroes, and the story is much much darker, but similar genre of game (rpg/board game.)

Those are valid points, but KDM focuses more upon the campaign than the crawl, and it adds in town building and development, technology and a start and end to the story. The characters aren't as important to KDM (they die a lot) as what they do. So you have the town phase, the hunt phase and the combat phase, where combat is the culmination of your choices where you attempt to take down essentially a "boss" type creature. And while you typically use four characters for the hunt to fight the creature, you will end up with a lot more - and those characters are not defined by class, so much as by their weapons and items, skills learned/earned, and experiences (did you lose a limb?).

So I don't think of KDM as a dungeon crawler so much as a survival simulation. YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
horfrost3 wrote:
shnar wrote:
ScottE wrote:

-shnar

More accurately your survivors in KD:M do gain fighting arts and multiple forms of XP but much of the game is developing your settlement and choosing your hunts to get the raw materials to make your equipment. You don't choose character classes and while it is possible for a survivor to last through the entire campaign (Which has a definite structure unlike SoBS) it is usual that you will lose a lot and replace them. Breeding extra survivors is critical.

The fights are all (Baring Spidecules) up to four survivors against a single Monster and due to the AI and Hit location decks (Which are unique for each Monster type and consist of a subset of that monsters AI cards for the AI deck) are more textured than SoBS Fights. Terrain and positioning are also a bit more important than in SoBS.

SoBs has more monsters but KD:Ms monsters are more varied both inside a given type of monster and across the range.

If SoBS is Borderlands then KD:M is X-Com.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neomaxim Noefaith
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or even more on-the-nose (I find)... Shadows of Brimstone is Diablo, while Kingdom Death is Monster Hunter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joanna G
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooo, now I want to play Diablo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, X-Com, that brings back some memories. I think that would be in my top 3 of all time greats.

Star Control II and the Civilization Series would be the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Downing
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
And Sho-Riu, the Dragon King... is unlocked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joanna G
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DRAGON!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Florio
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yeaaaahhh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
horfrost3 wrote:
Oooo, now I want to play Diablo.

They're gonna release an expansion that adds the necromancer into d3 :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.