Support:

Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OMG

Spent the afternoon guiding Thorgrim the Cleric through the dungeons of Castle Ravenloft as he sought to locate the Secret Stairway and escape the clutches of Count Strahd.

Many monsters, Encounter Cards, Treasure Cards, Hit Points and all were encountered as he pursued a plan to run in a straight line as quickly as possible before the Count woke up and came looking for him.

Many adventures followed, and 12 tiles were traversed before finally, after having taken two surge tokens, his feet took him - battered and bruised - to the steps of the Secret Stairway.

Just survive one Encounter Card draw and attacks by Strahd, a spider and a gargoyle (one or more might miss) and hey ... game over man!

He attacks and despatches the skeleton guarding the stairs and then draws an Encounter card. What??? The card ("Strahd's minnions") sends him and the spider / gargoyle back to the farthest tile (with all the tiles being more or less in a straight line) to the first tile (Strahd's crypt).

Shaking his head in dazed bewilderment, our Hero takes three hits from said monsters. Game over man!

OMG - just how bloody brutal can this game be ???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary A
United States
Lakeville/Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Extremely, ain't it fun!? laugh

Don't forget you can use xps to cancel encounter cards. That is key for surviving many of the crawls in CR. Be careful to pick and choose wisely though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah-ha ... after Thorgrim killed off the skeleton, I had a total of 5 XP.

So, I could have quite rightly cancelled that encounter card, thus in effect starting my next turn on the Secret Stairway and alive (with three Hit Points though with an an additional attack from Strahd to be rolled).

I was so shocked at the contents of the encounter card I didn't stop to think.

Should Strahd's attack miss, I think I shall decree it to be a draw

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters.
mbmb
Yeah, this is a game my group doesn't want me to bring anymore as it's just unrelenting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary A
United States
Lakeville/Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the constant pressure. It really builds suspense with the fear of each flip of a card.

My friends don't like games you always win and I agree. There is so much more satisfaction eeking out a victory than just curb-stomping through a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also would rather a game be difficult to win than be an easy walk over.

But heck, is this quite the clear cut badass. I literally was stunned when I read the text of "Strahd's Minnions".

Anyway, win or lose, it is a very engrossing and tense experience and I enjoy it tremendously.

PS I did the amended turn, with Strahd rolling ... and he rolled a success and 2 HPs, so down went Thorgrim for his eternal sleep (at least in this game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Hebert
Canada
Granby
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I added the dungeon command monsters to my D&D games....You think it's brutal???...lol try it with the DC monsters..lol...We haven't won a game since....in my 3 D&D games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thorgy has probably the easiest time in this one. Not only does he have Healing Strike, he has Lance of Faith that deals 2 dmg to Undeads (of which there are a buttload of in this set), both At-Wills.

Back in the day, started with this game, then got Legend of Drizzt, man that one is such a stroll through sunny, flowery meadows with birds singing and gentle morning dew on the ground in comparison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary A
United States
Lakeville/Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Voodoo257 wrote:
I added the dungeon command monsters to my D&D games....You think it's brutal???...lol try it with the DC monsters..lol...We haven't won a game since....in my 3 D&D games.

I got my hands on all the DC games too and have added them as suggested to the separate D&D games. Wow it's brutal. But, it also can make it where you don't have duplicates come up as much and have multiple activations.

Last night we were playing Wrath of Ashardalon and it was our 1st try at Adv. 4 where you add a Dire chamber at some point. We had played the previous adventure a couple nights before and were disappointed because it was a cake-walk, we didn't even take a scratch. I was the elf pally and my friend was the Dragonborn Wizard.

Boy, the game was about to set that right. We had been taking a bit of a beating and had to finally retreat and the chamber spawned.

Gauth (2nd from top villain) spawned in the Dire Chamber. Along with him, the Owlbear from DC (3 hp nasty) spawned along with the Wereboar (2 HP DC nasty). I jump forward and managed to kill the Owlbear and smack Gauth for 3 points each (lucky position since I had to surge back to life and they were adjacent) but there went my best daily 'nuke'.

We retreated and tried to clean up the conga line forming behind us (and get out of range of Gauth). Of course no exploring was going on so it was encounter after encounter. Then we drew an 'adventure' encounter. Ashardalon was coming to make a visit. Here was the scene.

Needless to say, we didn't last much longer!

Good times though, we killed 17 Monsters at that point (sentries are evil, along with long hallways) Good times!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Old news.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jacobs
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
That's a tough run.

I think Ravenloft is the hardest of the four, so don't take it too hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary A
United States
Lakeville/Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh we didn't, for a few seconds we felt like we had a grip on the situation and could retreat, kill the last couple scrubs and come up with a plan (and hopefully good dice).

Well, not so much!

As brutal as it can get I suppose, but it saved WoA from feeling like a walk in the park. Plus it made for a great story!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DomaGB wrote:
Old news.

Maybe so for vetrans, but not for those just starting out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dougposkitt wrote:
DomaGB wrote:
Old news.

And it's fun to see other people suffering like we did. I may or may not of housed ruled surges playing the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dougposkitt wrote:
DomaGB wrote:
Old news.

Before I bought the game (or played it). I knew that it was a constant fight against monsters. It didn't concern me, and even now I think it's awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferry Van der schans
Netherlands
Ridderkerk
The
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes. The game can be very brutal. But that makes high rolls give high cheers and when you win, you have that epic feeling with a great story to tell. The game keeps the tension high and keeps you involved. There are not many games that can give me this gaming experience like it does. But you got to have the stomache for it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lon Shaffer
United States
Johnstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
still one of my all time favorites ! especially with the Dungeon Command Curse of Undeath set thrown in ! my son and I just love it. I have all 4 A.S.sets and Castle Ravenloft hits the table more than any of our other D&D Adventure Series board games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary A
United States
Lakeville/Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played as much LoD as I should, but it's been meh when played well, even with marginal dice rolling.

Ash seemed bad until we added the DC bits and now has kept smoking us. That's a good thing!

We need to get back to CR. I have a plan....and yes the DC stuff is added.

Thanks Chad!!!! *bows repeatedly*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.