BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Replayable Farming Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Coy Goodson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello all,

I have been on the fence for a long time about Caverna. I'm looking for a game with the theme of farming, and I love the look of Caverna with all the different kind of crops and livestock you can produce. What worries me most is having the same 48 buildings out for each game. Is there something that stops you from taking the same path every single time? Also, I don't know if my group would be willing to learn all the buildings before playing the game. I like the look of Agricola also, but am afraid that the harsh feeding rules would turn most of the people in my group off.

Are there any other options that provide the tactile, and thematic, feel of growing crops and reproducing livestock?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bermondsey Battler
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Happy Pigs may fit the bill although i havent played it yet. It is punched and waiting in my basement!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't have the bits Caverna does, but it may be worth checking out Fields of Green. It should be out early next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike n Phyllis Snedeker
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eine Frage Der Ahre Heartland

Fabulous Farming Game - Easy to teach and Oh so cut throat!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Yang
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
May not be your typical farming game, but it has the feel of it: Spirits of the Rice Paddy

If you like Caverna (and Uwe Rosenberg games, for that matter) maybe you can take a look at At the Gates of Loyang

I just realized these are both Asian themed, it was unintentional.

Here's a list of farming-related games:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamecategory/1013/farming

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Coy Goodson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have happy pigs! I enjoy it, but I am looking for something a bit deeper. Happy pigs is fun, but lacks the feeling of building a farm for me. Thanks for the suggestion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coygoodson wrote:
Hello all,

I have been on the fence for a long time about Caverna. I'm looking for a game with the theme of farming, and I love the look of Caverna with all the different kind of crops and livestock you can produce. What worries me most is having the same 48 buildings out for each game. Is there something that stops you from taking the same path every single time? Also, I don't know if my group would be willing to learn all the buildings before playing the game. I like the look of Agricola also, but am afraid that the harsh feeding rules would turn most of the people in my group off.

Are there any other options that provide the tactile, and thematic, feel of growing crops and reproducing livestock?

My complaint about Caverna is that there is nothing to force you to take a new strategy, besides some minor variations from other's play.

TBH, I am still looking for a good game in this category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
La Granja Offers a bit of this. You start off with cards that give you abilities(if you use them for that) and dice provide you with additional farm goods. If you don't adapt your strategy game by game and sometimes turn by turn then you may not do well. The fun is looking at the things you have produced and figuring out how to make them work for you. I have played this more than most games in my collection and it still intrigues me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bermondsey Battler
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
coygoodson wrote:
I have happy pigs! I enjoy it, but I am looking for something a bit deeper. Happy pigs is fun, but lacks the feeling of building a farm for me. Thanks for the suggestion!

Gotcha! It was a must get bc we raise a couple pigs a year but i hadnt played it yet
. I am subscribed to this thread to see where you end up bc i had been looking at agricola or caverna too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Evans
New Zealand
flag msg tools
www.paulandcaillie.com
badge
...um, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small
I anyway say go for Agricola. The feeding is only brutal if you forget to respect it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.