Subject: Endgame #002 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Bracey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
White to move in the following position:

Edit: So the diagram has been altered. The puzzles are made by trying to subtly alter real end-game positions to ensure that there is a forced win. Unfortunately that runs the risk of substituting the wrong piece and leaving an incorrect number of pieces in the game (as in this case). On future puzzles I will make sure to include mistake/no forced win/draw as options.

One player has a forced win (the opponent cannot stop them or alter the number of moves it takes). The puzzle is to work out which player and how many moves they will need to make.

Quiz
1. Who wins?
White
Black
2. How many moves?
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
    18 answers
Quiz created by RobertBr

And finally the analysis for last weeks (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1675450/endgame-puzzle):

Spoiler (click to reveal)
So there was a small error in the rubric, only one side has a truly forced win despite what the puzzle said. That win was for Black which can surround the White Queen in three moves. The order of those moves is important. B-3 2 first, A-2 2 second. If the move is made the other way around the free White Ant could pin the Beetle, where-as it cannot pin the final Beetle, which is on top of the Hive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Ingersoll
United States
Port Orange
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oops...
I see 3 White Spiders and only 1 White Beetle and no Black Pillbug.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bracey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Good spot. I will correct the image this evening.

These are harder to do than they look...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.