Support:

Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Question:

The Rougarou card itself, and some of the Treachery cards state that the Rougarou moves toward the location furthest away from all of the investigators, 1 location at a time. Does it only move 1 step each movement phase then? I assume that it does, otherwise the 1 step at a time notation is weird, but it seems bizarre as it led to the monster moving into our midst and stopping on the way to the furthest off location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lon Prater

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
mbmb
Same question. Does the Rougarou move all the spaces during the same phase as Hunter? Or one space each turn during a hunter Movement Phase until it arrives at new space? We went with the latter because one of the cards did specify that... but none of the others did. Note: nothing said the move had to be during Hunter phase and some of the other cards could definitely be read as just moving him through locations all at once. Really hoping for a FFG ruling or FAQ on this soon.

This, combined with his
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Aloof keyword
, made it possible to maneuver him to where we wanted,
once we found some clues
. It felt a lot like trying to corner a dangerous beast. Very very thematic.
But I have no idea
how anyone will ever beat him in a fight without Two core decks and two gunnels playing. Dat Health Doe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the ambiguity is weird. We house-ruled to just do it one step each movement phase, but it made it a bit easier to keep moving him around where we wanted him to go.

The annoying / odd thing about doing it 1 step at a time was that we had to denote where he was going with a die, as it would take several moves to get there. It seemed somewhat non-thematic, as we could anticipate where he was going to go each turn and just follow along.

However, if he is intended to move straight to his destination I just don't see why they would say "1 location at a time" on any of the cards as there doesn't seem to be any way to interact with him on the way through even if he did take this or that path en route rather than just being placed directly on his destination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett Daniel
United States
White Bluff
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Playing it right now, and the Rougarou moves all the way to his destination. It says "1 location at a time" for the purpose of placing the clues, as far as I can tell. So he'll leave a trail of clues like tracks that you can use to engage him. Otherwise if you moved him without doing it one location at a time, the trail of clues wouldn't be there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Trang
United States
California
flag msg tools
Somewhat related question. Does the Rougarou leave clues on unrevealed locations as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GoldenBoy99 wrote:
Playing it right now, and the Rougarou moves all the way to his destination. It says "1 location at a time" for the purpose of placing the clues, as far as I can tell. So he'll leave a trail of clues like tracks that you can use to engage him. Otherwise if you moved him without doing it one location at a time, the trail of clues wouldn't be there.

Ok, that makes sense. The wording really threw me for a loop though, it seems like it would have been easier to just say something like "Move the Rougarou to the location most distant from the investigators. At each location that it passes through leave the requisite clues." It's not 100% gameese, but something like that would be much clearer.

bullettrang wrote:
Somewhat related question. Does the Rougarou leave clues on unrevealed locations as well?

The Rougarou card doesn't say anything about unrevealed vs. explored locations, so I would say yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Jackson
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We also determined that he moves all the way to his final destination at once, but the "one location at a time" text was so that it triggered his clue droppings text (pun intended?). Indeed it makes it hard to kill him, but... maybe there is another way.........?

We did have some trouble trying to decide where he actually moved to. First of all if the location that he is on was non-bayou and had the fewest amount of clues, strictly following the card text means he wouldn't move at all. Since you first pick a non-bayou location with the fewest clues, and use that as his "target". Only after that does it say to move to that target. So a few times, he wouldn't even move. Probably intentional, since I assume they would have written "choose a location the Rougarou is not currently on with..." in that case.

Anyways, the difficulty came when there was a tie for non-bayou locations with the fewest clues. In that case the grim rule applies, but that gets complex trying to determine which was worse. Is the furthest location away from all investigators worse, because we have to waste more actions to get to him? But then he leaves more clue tokens as he runs off which helps further our goals, especially if they're left on lower shroud cards. So is the location closest better? What if you have 4 investigators there, how do we choose the "worst" investigator to get close to?

After puzzling over that once, we said screw it and just rolled a 6 on location ties. Would have been a little tighter if they had said "in case of a tie, move to the <condition>". But whatever

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.