$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 107.75

6,696 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
42.2% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
10 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Mythic Battles: Pantheon» Forums » General

Subject: More than 100 miniatures but only 2 double sided boards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Lin
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I just noticed, this game has more than 100 miniatures but only 2 double sided boards? Will we be seeing new game boards in the stretch goal?
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daniel Lin wrote:
I just noticed, this game has more than 100 miniatures but only 2 double sided boards? Will we be seeing new game boards in the stretch goal?


no maps as a SG,it costs too much.
You will see a map add-on.

And there is actually 10 maps with the expansions,that's a lot.

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Lin
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I wish I have the money to buy all expansion cry
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daniel Lin wrote:
I wish I have the money to buy all expansion cry


PM in january...you have time to collect some money maybe
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark keedwell
United Kingdom
weston super mare
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
most games only have 1 board mystic 2 double sided boards you can buy a add to get more if you want. or make you own or even look to if can find a board battle lore ?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest, I don't see how you would really need more boards. Sure, they look different, they have somewhat different zones, but in the end, the game will play pretty similar, regardless of what board you play on.

Four is plenty for variety.

Bye
Thanee
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
To be honest, I don't see how you would really need more boards. Sure, they look different, they have somewhat different zones, but in the end, the game will play pretty similar, regardless of what board you play on.

Four is plenty for variety.

Yeah. The game is more like chess than like Hero Quest. The board doesn't matter all that much. And otherwise: pick one extra add-on with 2 boards? Or make your own?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I know my plans are to try and make some boards afterwards.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Teowulff wrote:
Thanee wrote:
To be honest, I don't see how you would really need more boards. Sure, they look different, they have somewhat different zones, but in the end, the game will play pretty similar, regardless of what board you play on.

Four is plenty for variety.

Yeah. The game is more like chess than like Hero Quest. The board doesn't matter all that much. And otherwise: pick one extra add-on with 2 boards? Or make your own?

due to the terrain types and such there is actually a practical variation in the boards, even if the background image doesn't matter much beyond a change of scenery.

otherwise you are correct, it actually should be quite simple to create maps for MB, they don't even have to be to scale as you have a slightly abstracted perspective anyhow. Just a matter of finding zones, terrain types and unit limits that fit the map you chose.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teowulff wrote:
Thanee wrote:
To be honest, I don't see how you would really need more boards. Sure, they look different, they have somewhat different zones, but in the end, the game will play pretty similar, regardless of what board you play on.

Four is plenty for variety.

Yeah. The game is more like chess than like Hero Quest. The board doesn't matter all that much. And otherwise: pick one extra add-on with 2 boards? Or make your own?

I'd argue that your post is a case of "right for the wrong reasons". In a skirmish game, the map actually matters a lot. I'd even go so far as to say that there are lots of asymmetrical skirmish games where the balancing of factions rests solely on the layout of maps and terrain. Of course that's not entirely true for MBP since the process of drafting from a shared pool of units also works as a balancing mechanism, but the map layout still has an enormous effect on the gameplay.

For example, the Labyrinth prominently features two bottlenecks. If I can control one of these bottlenecks with Hector's "Wall of Troy", that's a strong tactical advantage my opponent can only overcome by a concerted effort of adequately selected units. Such bottlenecks aren't present on the Olympus map, and it doesn't help much to close down a single space of terrain if the opponent can circumvent it without too much trouble - just due to map design.

Frankly, given that each additional board has to be tested with that kind of balancing in mind (and not just for one unit's talent but for all possible interactions between hundreds of different units), I think that even the number of maps in the core game is quite substantial. With expansions and add-ons, you're looking at a lot of maps for this kind of game.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit VOGT
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Daniel Lin wrote:
I just noticed, this game has more than 100 miniatures but only 2 double sided boards? Will we be seeing new game boards in the stretch goal?


I understand your point but maps are very cost to produce. There are 2 maps in each of the 3 major expansions (Hera, Hephaestus and Poseidon). But some more may be coming pretty soon
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Guinoza
msg tools
mbmb
Maps are expensive because they are made of heavy cardboard. If you asked people if they wanted 2 extra maps at the cost of 10 miniatures, guess what they won't trade.

The core game (with stretch goals) already has an immense value. You should spend time making homebrew maps or looking for more important issues.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Lanza
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Arah wrote:
You should spend time making homebrew maps or looking for more important issues.


This is BGG, is that not what we do around here if not making boxes :-)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mb
Benoit0905 wrote:

I understand your point but maps are very cost to produce. There are 2 maps in each of the 3 major expansions (Hera, Hephaestus and Poseidon). But some more may be coming pretty soon


I'd love to see the forge map of the Hephaestus expansion, it sounds great but it only shows the other side for now.

Also looking forward to these amazing unannounced maps that keep getting teased though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark keedwell
United Kingdom
weston super mare
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
turbocooler wrote:
Arah wrote:
You should spend time making homebrew maps or looking for more important issues.


This is BGG, is that not what we do around here if not making boxes :-)

bgg is the right place talk heres link
https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/36/boardgamegeek/do-it-yours...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.