Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald Macleod
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have come up with a really fun solo variant and though I would share it with the community.

Setup

Setup the game as you would normally for 2 players except remove the duplicate swords and quick boots.

You will need 2 d6 dice

Set one of the dice to 6 (this will represent your health)
Set the other dice aside (we will use this later)

Game play

To win you must slay the boss but it won't be easy!

Take your turn as normal with the following exceptions to the rules.

If you can't claim a card or don't wish to claim it you must always leave it face down unless a cards ability allows you to reveal it.

Monsters

When a monster is revealed you roll the second d6 dice place it on the monster card. The number on the dice represents additional health to the monster.

So the monsters health will be it's base health + the dice roll

When you attack the monster take the damage off the total health of the monster. Take damage off the dice first. Then use the dice to represent the monsters health and place it over it's health marker.

You no longer have to kill the monster in one turn as the dice will represent it's current health.

The monster will not attack you when it is revealed.

The monster will do one damage to the players health for each turn it is not killed.

Example of monster attack.

Player reveals mushroom which has a base health of 2 player rolls 5 and places it on the mushroom card. Mushroom now has a base health of 7. Player has 2 crappy swords left in hand and does 2 damage to the mushroom. Mushrooms health is reduced to 5. Turn dice to 5 and place it over the mushrooms health marker.

Player draws back up to 5 cards uses 2 movement cards to get to the mushroom but can only do 4 damage to the mushroom. Player turns the mushrooms health to 1

Mushroom attacks player and does 1 damage player moved health dice from 6 to 5.

Next turn player kills mushroom and moves it to the discard pile. As the mushroom was destroyed it does no damage.

Play continues until you reach and slay the boss or until the players health reaches 0 and the game is over as the hero has fallen!

Enjoy!!

If you don'y like the randomness of the dice roll you can set it to whatever you want to set the difficulty I found 2 to be a good starting point.

This can also be played with 2 players as a co-op!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks interesting, I'll give it a try and let you what I think.

One thing though, why not let the monster get an attack after the players initial attack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Macleod
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I tried that and the player gets killed really quickly. It could work if you only receive damage on an unsuccessful attack when the monster is uncovered but receive no damage if you move on as you can do in the rules. I will give it a go and see how that works. If it is not too damaging it could add a tough decision for the player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gypsy_m0th wrote:
I tried that and the player gets killed really quickly. It could work if you only receive damage on an unsuccessful attack when the monster is uncovered but receive no damage if you move on as you can do in the rules. I will give it a go and see how that works. If it is not too damaging it could add a tough decision for the player.

Exactly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon B
United States
New York
flag msg tools
You could always roll a die to see if an attack is successful. 1-3 are miss and 4-6 are a hit, for example. Really nice solo game idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.