Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oran Barraclough
Australia
Windang
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmb
I played C@G recently with friends and family including my daughter who are 4 & 7. We all has a blast (excuse the pun) especially my girls. A clip of this went onto social media where one person found it horrifying that I let my young kids play this game saying it is teaching them violence and killing is fun.

What's the BGG community's thoughts on this? Did I over step a mark?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Schelter
Canada
Bracebridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at it from just one clip can never tell the entire story. Is it inappropriate for young children to be playing this game? If the messaging that is sent to your children in your home is that violence never an appropriate solution to a problem, and your children have a clear understanding that they are playing a game for entertainment purposes only, then it's probably OK that they enjoyed it responsibly. I would make the comparison to boys playing with toy soldiers. From my childhood, for example, G.I.Joe and Transformers with guns are IMO equally as questionable as Cash'n'Guns. One might say, well, G.I.Joe had a "good" team whereas Cash'n'Guns is all about Gangsters, but that's splitting hairs - Cobra was still a terrorist group.

So, I would need a holistic view of what's going on before pronouncing "You're Ok" or "That's terrible" vis à vis letting them PLAY.

That said, I own this game, and I have twins who are almost 5. I would NOT let them play this game now, and do not expect to let them play until ... well, I'm not really sure. My inclination is to say until they are 12?

And if they were playing, I would NEVER let it be recorded and put on social media.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Chaz
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Quote:
One person found it horrifying...

I'd say that posting this question is evidence that you've given the issue sufficient thought.

As for my own rant/soapbox on the issue...
The worst thing that c&g teaches kids is that some guns are not loaded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you think it's fine for your kids, then it's fine for your kids. We started playing this when our daughter was 6 or 7 and she loved it. Social media is full of opinions and I've seen similar comments thrown at a group of adults playing this game. Just ignore those people they bring nothing to the conversation and unless you bow down to their righteousness they can't be reasoned with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bush
United States
West Decatur
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
At all cost
badge
"Some fights will just get you bloody"
mbmbmbmbmb
I played with guns as a child, real and toy. I turned out better than most people I've met by various standards.

I think they'll be fine, but the rest of the world is doomed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Hill
Canada
Durham Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I knew a woman about 30 years ago who would not allow either of her young boys to have any toy guns nor any military type of toy at all. Her point of view was that toys based on weapons and the military were just plain wrong as this would teach her lads that shooting people, acting out in violent actions and supporting the military was acceptable. When in her view, all of these things were wrong. I remember with great amusement as she watched with great duress, her lads playing some sort of game together, were they "made a gun" with their thumb and index finger and were shooting each other. As her boys grew older, she amended her no gun toy policy to allow water squirt guns.

As for allowing your young girls to play Cash N Guns, I don't see the harm in it as long as you also take the time to teach them that this is only a game. At the same time you could allow them to watch old Bugs Bunny and Tom and Jerry cartoons while teaching them it is not appropriate to drop an anvil upon someone's head. In the end, playing together, spending the time together and including them in family and friends activities will have a bigger more positive effect upon them.

What I do find disturbing is not that you had and recorded the playing session, but, that you felt the need to post it online. There are enough knuckleheads out there, plus, it looks like you found one too, that you are needlessly exposing your young girls to. To me, that is the greater act of irresponsibility as this has the potential of exposing your girls to a greater amount of unforeseen negative consequences. Imagine this person who is so horrified that not only have they voiced their opinion on how unsuitable of a parent you are, but, then decided to override your parenting and teach them personally this lesson on how it is not fun or acceptable to shoot or kill another person.

Going back to the old Bugs Bunny and Tom and Jerry cartoons, at the age of 4 and 7, I'm sure you girls can tell the difference between cartoon silliness and real world violence. I'm also sure that they are able to tell the difference between the actions playing a game like Cash N Guns and finding those actions acceptable in a real world situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oran Barraclough
Australia
Windang
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I find it helpful to get some other thoughts on grey areas of parenting.
To clarify, the 30 sec clip was posted by my sister in law on a private group (still of a large number though), I know the person who was offended but wanted to assess my own moral compass before having a conversation with her.
The game was full of laughter and silliness and I believe my girls saw this as just a fun time with family. I think that message spoke to them much louder to them than 'violence is fun'.

Also we live in Australia and I wouldn't know how to get my hands on a real gun even if I wanted to. Amazon maybe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Chaz
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Oranjb wrote:

Also we live in Australia and I wouldn't know how to get my hands on a real gun even if I wanted to. Amazon maybe?

Guns don't kill people - shipping to Australia kills people!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The guns don't concern me as much as exposing your kids to the horrible Munckin art. We must protect our children.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.